Top 50 High-End Prestigious Art Galleries and Dealers
An ART DEALER is a person or company that buys and sells works of art. Art dealers' professional associations serve to set high standards for accreditation or membership and to support art exhibitions and shows.
An art dealer typically seeks out various artists to represent, and builds relationships with collectors and museums whose interests are likely to match the work of the represented artists. Some dealers are able to anticipate market trends, while some prominent dealers may be able to influence the taste of the market. Many dealers specialize in a particular style, period, or region. They often travel internationally, frequenting exhibitions, auctions, and artists' studios looking for good buys, little-known treasures, and exciting new works. When dealers buy works of art, they resell them either in their galleries or directly to collectors. Those who deal in contemporary art usually exhibit artists' works in their galleries, and take a percentage of the price the works sell for.
Art dealers often study the history of art before entering on their careers. Related careers that often cross-over include curators of museums and art auction firms are industry-related careers. Gallery owners who do not succeed may seek to work for more successful galleries. Others pursue careers as art critics, academics, curators of museums or auction houses, or practicing artists.
Dealers have to understand the business side of the art world. They keep up with trends in the market and are knowledgeable about the style of art people want to buy. They figure out how much they should pay for a piece and then estimate the resale price. They are also often passionate and knowledgeable about art. Those who deal with contemporary art promote new artists, creating a market for the artists' works and securing financial success for themselves. The art world is subject to economic booms and bust just like any other market. Art dealers must be economically conscious in order to maintain their livelihoods. The mark ups of art work must be carefully monitored. If prices and profits are too large, then investments may be devalued should an overstock or economic downturn occur.
To determine an artwork's value, dealers inspect the objects or paintings closely, and compare the fine details with similar pieces. Some dealers with many years of experience learn to identify unsigned works by examining stylistic features such as brush strokes, color, form. They recognize the styles of different periods and individual artists. Often art dealers are able to distinguish authentic works from forgeries (although even dealers are sometimes fooled).
- 2015 Top 200 Collectors - ARTNews.
- Ambroise Vollard - (1866-1939). One of the most important dealers in French modern art at end-19th and early twentieth century. He had his portrait painted by so many artists that Picasso said "The most beautiful woman who ever lived has never had her portrait painted, drawn, or engraved any oftener than Vollard".
- Art dealer - Wikipedia.
- ART DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
- ASK ART - "The Artists' Bluebook". Instant information. Art. Artists. Prices.
- ARTNET - "The Art World Online." Artnet is the place to buy, sell and research fine art online. Our online Gallery Network is the largest of its kind, with over 2,200 galleries in over 250 cities worldwide, more than 166,000 artworks by over 39,000 artists from around the globe.
- Buchholz Gallery - (1937–1955). New York, NY, U.S.A.
- CONTEMPORARY ART GALLERY - Wikipedia.
- Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler - (1884-1979). German-born art historian, art collector, and one of the premier French art dealers of the 20th century. He became prominent as an art gallery owner in Paris beginning in 1907. Best-known for his early espousal of Cubism and his long, intimate association with Spanish artist Pablo Picasso, and also exclusively represented Georges Braque, and Juan Gris.
- Daniel Wildenstein - (1917-2001). Renowned art dealer, historian and a leading owner-breeder of thoroughbred race horses. He was the third member of the family to preside over Wildenstein & Co., one of the most successful and influential art-dealerships of the 20th Century. He was once described as "probably the richest and most powerful art dealer on earth".
- FADA | FINE ART DEALERS ASSOCIATION - organization of respected and established dealers from across the United States.
- F. Kleinberger Galleries - (1848–1973). Founded in Paris by Franz Kleinberger in 1848, the firm was a promoter and importer of European paintings to the United States. By 1913, Kleinberger was exhibiting at its gallery on lower Fifth Avenue, near to Duveen Gallery.
- GALLERY GUIDES - links to thousands of galleries around the world by The Saatchi Gallery.
- Gallery Hopes to Sell Kanye West’s ‘Famous’ Sculpture for US$4 Million - The New York Times.
- Heir to art-dealing estate in court in major French fraud trial - Guy Wildenstein faces charges that he hid his fortune in offshore tax havens and a demand for £475m in back taxes.
- Jacques Seligmann & Company - (1880-1978). Was a French and American art dealer and gallery specializing in decorative art and antiques. It is considered one of the foremost dealers and galleries in fostering appreciation for the collecting of contemporary European art.
- Joseph Duveen - (1869-1939). British art dealer, considered one of the most influential art dealers of all time. His success is famously attributed to noticing that "Europe has a great deal of art, and America has a great deal of money." He made his fortune by buying works of art from declining European aristocrats and selling them to the millionaires of the United States.
- Knoedler & Company - art dealership in New York City founded in 1846. When it closed in 2011, it was one of the oldest commercial art galleries in the US, having been in operation for 165 years.
- Le Freeport - "A high-end, ultra safe facility for the storage of valuable goods." LE FREEPORT sets new standards, demanded by investors and collectors alike: a purpose built facility combining cutting edge technology, efficient logistics, and an exhaustive range of expert services. LE FREEPORT is the ideal platform for securing, servicing and selling works of art and other valuables. Luxembourg & Singapore.
- Notable art dealers - Wikipedia.
- One of the World’s Greatest Art Collections Hides Behind This Fence - The New York Times.
- PAINTING - Wikipedia.
- Paul Durand-Ruel, the Paris Dealer Who Put Impressionism on the Map - The New York Times.
- Purchasing Fine Art Is Increasingly Just a Click Away - The New York Times.
- RenÉ Gimpel - (1881–1945). Was a prominent French art dealer, friend and patron of living artists and collector. He was the son of a picture dealer and the brother-in-law of Sir Joseph Duveen.
- SAATCHI ONLINE - "The World's Interactive Art Gallery. Magazine, museums & gallery listings, artists around the world display work and sell free of any commission."
- Soaring Art Market Attracts a New Breed of Advisers for Collectors - The New York Times.
- TEFAF Art Market Report 2014 - "The global art market, with a focus on the US and China."
- The Cultivist - "The world’s only global arts club offering uniquely privileged access to every aspect of the art world." With a single card, you glide through museums, galleries and art fairs worldwide: no tickets, no bookings, no complications.
- THE SOCIETY OF LONDON ART DEALERS
- THEA WESTREICH ART ADVISORY SERVICES - professional consulting firm with expertise in Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary Art, and Photography.
- Top 100 Most Collectible Living Artists 2015 - Artnet News.
- Über-warehouses for the ultra-rich - "Ever more wealth is being parked in fancy storage facilities. For some customers, they are an attractive new breed of tax haven."
- VANITY GALLERY - Wikipedia.
- Wildenstein Trial to Lift a Veil on Opaque Art World Dealings - The New York Times.
Top 50 High-End Prestigious Art Galleries & Dealers
- Andrew Butterfield - New York City, NY, U.S.A. "Andrew Butterfield concentrates on the discovery, authentication, and sale of museum quality masterpieces of European art, chiefly Renaissance and Baroque sculpture. A preeminent scholar-dealer, he combines thirty years of experience at the highest level in every sector of the art world: academia, museums, and the market."
- ARCO - Madrid, Spain.
- bernheim-jeune - "Galerie & Éditeur d'Art." Paris, France.
- Castelli Gallery - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- CENTRO CULTURAL ANDRATX (CCA) - Mallorca, Spain.
- Chris Beetles Gallery - 8-10 Ryder St, London, Greater London SW1Y 6QB, England, U.K. Specialising in traditional British watercolour, illustration, oil paint.
- Cohen Gallery - 7354 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
- Colnaghi - since 1760. 15 Old Bond Street, London W1S 4AX, England, U.K. The oldest commercial art gallery in the world.
- CRISPIAN RILEY-SMITH - Skipton, North Yorkshire, England. Conservation, valuations, buying & selling, consultancy.
- DAVID ZWIRNER - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- DC Moore Gallery - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- DENISE R - Paris, France.
- EDEN ROCK GALLERY - St. Barth.
- GAGOSIAN GALLERY - main gallery: New York City, NY, U.S.A. World's biggest art dealer.
- GALERIE ALMINE RECH - Paris, France and Brussels, Belgium.
- GALERIE BAILLY - Paris, France.
- GALERIE BERND KUGLER - Innsbruck, Austria.
- GALERIE BRUNO BISCHOFBERG - Zurich, Switzerland.
- GALERIE CARRÉ DORÉ - Monaco.
- GALERIE LELONG - Paris, New York, Zurich.
- GALERIE MAEGHT - Paris, France.
- GALERIE MODERNE - Silkeborg, Denmark.
- GALERIE THADDAEUS ROPAC - Salzburg, Austria and Paris, France.
- GALLERY 27 - London, U.K.
- GLADSTONE GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- GOEDHUIS CONTEMPORARY - London, U.K. and New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- JAMES HYMAN GALLERY - London, U.K.
- JAY JOPLING - London, U.K.
- Jessica Silverman Gallery - San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
- KESZLER GALLERY - Southampton, NY, U.S.A.
- KEYA GALLERY - located in New York City. "We have one of the world's largest selections of American Civil War items, Abraham Lincoln items, autographs, documents, 19th century photographs of famous historical people, slavery items, presidential items, and royalty items."
- Knoedler - was an art dealership in New York City founded in 1846. When it closed in 2011, it was one of the oldest commercial art galleries in the US, having been in operation for 165 years.
- LINCOLN IMAGES - Abraham Lincoln photographs.
- LISSON GALLERY - "One of the world's leading contemporary art galleries." London, U.K.
- Marlborough Fine Art - founded in London 1946: 6 Albemarle Street, London W1S 4BY & founded in New York City 1963: 40 west 57th Street & 545 west 25th Street. They also have galleries in Madrid, Monaco, Barcelona, and Santiago.
- MATTHEW MARKS GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- MCDERMOTT GALLERIES - The Mailbox, Birmingham, U.K.
- Mellion Fine Art - Dubai, U.A.E.
- MICHAEL WERNER GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- Newport Street Gallery - Newport Street, Vauxhall, London, SE11 6AJ, England, U.K. Owned by Damien Hirst.
- Pierogi Gallery - since 1994. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY, U.S.A.
- Pop and Contemporary Fine Art - Singapore.
- Proud Galleries - since 1998. Europe’s most popular privately funded photographic gallery. London, U.K.
- PULLMAN GALLERY - The Pullman Gallery specializes in objets deluxe dating from 1880-1950. "Our gallery is in King Street, St James's, London, right next to Christie's."
- RICHARD L. FEIGEN & CO. - "With over fifty years of experience in dealing old masters through contemporary art we are uniquely positioned to advise clients in all aspects of building a collection."
- SCHOENI ART GALLERY - "An internationally respected gallery, known worldwide as a progressive leader in the art world firmly placed at the cutting edge of Chinese Contemporary Chinese Art." Main gallery: Hong Kong.
- Shazina Gallery - Moscow, Russia.
- stephan stoyanov gallery - 29, Orchard Street, New York, New York, U.S.A. Displays Contemporary artworks created by local and international artists. We exhibit cutting edge artworks within the mediums of painting, sculpture, and video/media installations.
- STOPPENBACH & DELESTRE - London, U.K.
- THE APPROACH GALLERY - London, U.K.
- THE FINE ART GALLERY - London, U.K. Since 1876. 19th & 20th century Bristish art.
- THE PACE GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- Tony Shafrazi Gallery - New York City, NY 10001, U.S.A.
- WEINSTEIN GALLERY - San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
- WEISS GALLERY - 59 Jermyn Street, London SW1, U.K. Leading dealer in Tudor, Stuart and North European Old Master portraiture.
- WHITE CUBE - London, U.K.
- WILDENSTEIN & COMPANY - founded 1903. New York City, NY, U.S.A.