Worlds Top High-End Art Galleries and Art Museums
"I never can pass by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York without thinking of it not as a gallery of living portraits but as a cemetery of tax-deductible wealth." - Lewis H. Lapham.
A comtemporary ART GALLERY is a place where contemporary art is shown for exhibition and/or for sale. The term "art gallery" is commonly used to mean art museum (especially in British English), the rooms displaying art in any museum, or in the original sense, of any large or long room.
An art gallery or ART MUSEUM is a space for the exhibition of art, usually visual art. Museum can be public or private but what distinguishes a Museum is the ownership of a collection. Paintings are the most commonly displayed art objects; however, sculpture, photographs, illustrations, installation art and objects from the applied arts may also be shown.
Although primarily concerned with providing a space to show works of visual art, art galleries are sometimes used to host other artistic activities, such as music concerts or poetry readings.
- 123World Museums & Galleries List - the ultimate source of authentic and reliable information about the Museums and Galleries on the net.
- ART MUSEUM - Wikipedia.
- ART MUSEUMS AROUND THE WORLD - collection highlights, exhibition details, etc. by The Saatchi Gallery.
- ART MUSEUMS WORLDWIDE - ArtCyclopedia.
- ART PROJECT - Powered by Google. Online compilation of high-resolution images of artworks from galleries worldwide, as well as a virtual tour of the galleries in which they are housed.
- Contemporary art gallery - Wikipedia.
- EUROPEANA - "Think Culture." Search through the cultural collections of Europe. It links you to over 20 million digital items (2012).
- Getty Search Gateway - allows users to search across several of the Getty repositories, including collections databases, library catalogs, collection inventories, and archival finding aids.
- MAJOR ART MUSEUMS - Wikipedia.
- Munich Art Trove - Lost Art Internet Database.
- MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES FROM AROUND THE WORLD - by Watercolor Online.
- Open Content Program - The Getty. "The Getty makes available, without charge, all available digital images (approx. 4,600) to which the Getty holds the rights or that are in the public domain to be used for any purpose. No permission is required."
- SELECTED ART GALLERIES - WWW Virtual Library.
- TERMINARTORS - "The world's largest artist, artwork and museum database!" The first community-based interactive painting gallery in the world. From the medieval era to the most recent trends, you will find tens of thousands of carefully categorized paintings, artists, and museums.
- ART DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
- ASK ART - "The Artists' Bluebook". Instant information. Art. Artists. Prices.
- ARTNET - "The Art World Online." Artnet is the place to buy, sell and research fine art online. Our online Gallery Network is the largest of its kind, with over 2,200 galleries in over 250 cities worldwide, more than 166,000 artworks by over 39,000 artists from around the globe.
- CONTEMPORARY ART GALLERY - Wikipedia.
- Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler - (1884-1979). German-born art historian, art collector, and one of the premier French art dealers of the 20th century. He became prominent as an art gallery owner in Paris beginning in 1907 and he was among the first champions of Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque and Cubism.
- FADA | FINE ART DEALERS ASSOCIATION - organization of respected and established dealers from across the United States.
- GALLERY GUIDES - links to thousands of galleries around the world by The Saatchi Gallery.
- PAINTING - Wikipedia.
- SAATCHI ONLINE - "The World's Interactive Art Gallery. Magazine, museums & gallery listings, artists around the world display work and sell free of any commission."
- THE SOCIETY OF LONDON ART DEALERS
- THEA WESTREICH ART ADVISORY SERVICES - professional consulting firm with expertise in Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary Art, and Photography.
- VANITY GALLERY - Wikipedia.
- ARCO - Madrid, Spain.
- Castelli Gallery - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- CENTRO CULTURAL ANDRATX (CCA) - Mallorca, Spain.
- Chris Beetles Gallery - 8-10 Ryder St, London, Greater London SW1Y 6QB, England, U.K. Specialising in traditional British watercolour, illustration, oil paint.
- CRISPIAN RILEY-SMITH - Skipton, North Yorkshire, England. Conservation, valuations, buying & selling, consultancy.
- DAVID ZWIRNER - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- DENISE R - Paris, France.
- EDEN ROCK GALLERY - St. Barth.
- GAGOSIAN GALLERY - main gallery: New York City, NY, U.S.A. World's biggest art dealer.
- GALERIE ALMINE RECH - Paris, France and Brussels, Belgium.
- GALERIE BAILLY - Paris, France.
- GALERIE BERND KUGLER - Innsbruck, Austria.
- GALERIE BRUNO BISCHOFBERG - Zurich, Switzerland.
- GALERIE CARRÉ DORÉ - Monaco.
- GALERIE LELONG - Paris, New York, Zurich.
- GALERIE MAEGHT - Paris, France.
- GALERIE MODERNE - Silkeborg, Denmark.
- GALERIE THADDAEUS ROPAC - Salzburg, Austria and Paris, France.
- GALLERY 27 - London, U.K.
- GLADSTONE GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- GOEDHUIS CONTEMPORARY - London, U.K. and New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- HENRIK KAMPMANN GALLERY - Copenhagen, Denmark.
- JAMES HYMAN GALLERY - London, U.K.
- JAY JOPLING - London, U.K.
- Jessica Silverman Gallery - San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
- KESZLER GALLERY - Southampton, NY, U.S.A.
- KEYA GALLERY - located in New York City. "We have one of the world's largest selections of American Civil War items, Abraham Lincoln items, autographs, documents, 19th century photographs of famous historical people, slavery items, presidential items, and royalty items."
- LINCOLN IMAGES - Abraham Lincoln photographs.
- LISSON GALLERY - "One of the world's leading contemporary art galleries." London, U.K.
- MATTHEW MARKS GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- MCDERMOTT GALLERIES - The Mailbox, Birmingham, U.K.
- Mellion Fine Art - Dubai, U.A.E.
- MICHAEL WERNER GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- Pierogi Gallery - since 1994. Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY, U.S.A.
- Pop and Contemporary Fine Art - Singapore.
- Proud Galleries - since 1998. Europe’s most popular privately funded photographic gallery. London, U.K.
- PULLMAN GALLERY - The Pullman Gallery specializes in objets deluxe dating from 1880-1950. "Our gallery is in King Street, St James's, London, right next to Christie's."
- RICHARD L. FEIGEN & CO. - "With over fifty years of experience in dealing old masters through contemporary art we are uniquely positioned to advise clients in all aspects of building a collection."
- SCHOENI ART GALLERY - "An internationally respected gallery, known worldwide as a progressive leader in the art world firmly placed at the cutting edge of Chinese Contemporary Chinese Art." Main gallery: Hong Kong.
- Shazina Gallery - Moscow, Russia.
- stephan stoyanov gallery - 29, Orchard Street, New York, New York, U.S.A. Displays Contemporary artworks created by local and international artists. We exhibit cutting edge artworks within the mediums of painting, sculpture, and video/media installations.
- STOPPENBACH & DELESTRE - London, U.K.
- THE APPROACH GALLERY - London, U.K.
- THE FINE ART GALLERY - London, U.K. Since 1876. 19th & 20th century Bristish art.
- THE PACE GALLERY - New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- WEINSTEIN GALLERY - San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
- WEISS GALLERY - 59 Jermyn Street, London SW1, U.K. Leading dealer in Tudor, Stuart and North European Old Master portraiture.
- WHITE CUBE - London, U.K.
- WILDENSTEIN & COMPANY - founded 1903. New York City, NY, U.S.A.
- ART MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES IN INDIA - Wikipedia.
- ART MUSEUMS IN INDIA
- Baroda Museum & Picture Gallery - Baroda, Gujarat.
- INDIAN MUSEUM - Chowringhee, Kolkata.
- Jehangir Art Gallery - Mumbai.
- National Gallery of Modern Art - New Delhi.
- NATIONAL MUSEUM - Janpath, New Delhi.
- Salar Jung Museum - Nayapul, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. One of the three National Museums of India. It has a collection of sculptures, paintings, carvings, textiles, manuscripts, ceramics, metallic artefacts, carpets, clocks, and furniture from Japan, China, Burma, Nepal, India, Persia, Egypt, Europe, and North America. The museum's collection was sourced from the property of the Salar Jung family.
Australia | Oceania
- Art museums and galleries in Australia - Wikipedia.
- ART MUSEUMS IN AUSTRALIA
- Art Gallery of New South Wales - Sydney, New South Wales.
- Art Gallery of South Australia - North Terrace, Adelaide.
- Art Gallery of Western Australia - Perth, Western Australia.
- Canberra Museum and Gallery - City Centre, Australian Capital Territory.
- Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory - , Fannie Bay, Darwin, Northern Territory.
- National Gallery of Australia - Canberra, Australian Capital Territory.
- THE ARTS CENTRE GOLD COAST - Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast, Queensland.
- ART MUSEUMS IN EASTERN EUROPE - ArtCyclopedia.
- ART MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES IN DENMARK - Wikipedia.
- ART MUSEUMS IN DENMARK
- ARKEN | MUSEUM OF MODERN ART - Ishøj, Copenhagen. The museum features modern works by Danish, Scandinavian and international painters. The museum also has amassed a collection of around 400 post-war contemporary art pieces.
- Hirschsprung Collection - since 1902. Copenhagen. Houses a large collection of Danish art from the 19th and early 20th century. The emphasis is on the Danish Golden Age, from 1800 to 1850, but also the Skagen Painters and other representatives of the Modern Breakthrough are well represented.
- LOUISIANA | MUSEUM OF MODERN ART - Humlebæk, North Zealand. Owner of the world's second largest collection of Alberto Giacometti sculptures, among others an original: L'Homme Qui Marche - until May 4, 2010 world's most expensive piece of art (L'Homme Qui Marche 1 sold for £65,001,250 / US$104,327,006 at Sotheby's London to Lily Safra on February 03, 2010).
- MUSEUM JORN - Silkeborg, Jutland. The museum is not only home to the most comprehensive collection of Jorn’s own works but also holds thousands of paintings, sculptures and works on paper by other artists – members of Cobra and older international artists who inspired Jorn or were kindred artistic spirits including, among others, Max Ernst, Francis Picabia, Fernand Léger and Man Ray.
- ORDRUPGAARD - Ordrup, Copenhagen. Houses one of Northern Europe’s most considerable collections of Danish and French art from the 19th and beginning of the 20th century.
- NATIONAL GALLERY OF DENMARK - Copenhagen. The museum collects, registers, maintains, researches in and handles Danish and foreign art dating from the 14th century till the present day, mostly with their origins in western culture circles.
- NY CARLSBERG GLYPTOTEK - founded 1882. The personal collection of Carl Jacobsen (1842–1914), the son of the founder of the Carlsberg Breweries. The focal point of the museum is antique sculpture from the ancient cultures around the Mediterranean including Egypt, Rome and Greece, as well as more modern sculptures such as a collection of Rodin works which is considered the most important outside France. However, the museum is equally noted for its collection of painting that includes an extensive collection of French impressionists and Post-impressionists as well as Danish Golden Age paintings.
- THE DAVID COLLECTION - Copenhagen. Particularly noted for its collection of Islamic art from the 8th to the 19th century, which is one of the largest in Northern Europe.
- THE MUSEUM OF NATIONAL HISTORY - Frederiksborg Castle, Hillerød north of Copenhagen. Houses an important collection of portraits and historical paintings.
- THORVALDSENS MUSEUM - Copenhagen. Single-artist museum dedicated to the art of Danish neoclassicistic sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen (1770–1844).
- ART MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES IN THE UNITED KINGDOM - Wikipedia.
- ART MUSEUMS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
- Ashmolean Museum - Oxford. The world's first university museum.
- Christ Church Picture Gallery - Oxford.
- GETTY IMAGES GALLERY - "London's largest independent photographic gallery with unique access to one of the greatest photographic collections in the world."
- HAYWARD GALLERY - London.
- KENWOOD HOUSE - Hampstead, London.
- Modern Art Oxford - Oxford.
- NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY - St Martin's Place, London WC2. Housing a collection of portraits of historically important and famous British people. It was the first portrait gallery in the world when it opened in 1856.
- ROYAL ACADEMY OF ARTS - based in Burlington House on Piccadilly, London.
- SAATCHI GALLERY - Duke of York's Headquarters, King's Road, London SW3. Gallery for contemporary art, opened by Charles Saatchi in 1985 in order to exhibit his collection to the public.
- SERPENTINE GALLERY - London.
- TATE BRITAIN - situated on Millbank in London, and part of the Tate gallery network in Britain, with Tate Modern, Tate Liverpool and Tate St Ives. It is the oldest gallery in the network, opening in 1897. It houses a substantial collection of the works of J. M. W. Turner.
- TATE MODERN - Bankside, London SE1. Founded in 2000, it is the United Kingdom's national gallery of international modern and contemporary art.
- THE COURTAULD INSTITUTE OF ART - London.
- THE NATIONAL GALLERY - Trafalgar Square, London WC2. Founded in 1824, it houses a collection of over 2,300 paintings dating from the mid-13th century to 1900.
- THE QUEEN'S GALLERY - Buckingham Palace, London.
- THE ROYAL COLLECTION - Buckingham Palace, London. Royal palaces, residences and art collection.
- WHITECHAPEL GALLERY - London.
U. S. A.
- ART GALLERIES AND MUSEUMS IN NEW YORK
- ART GALLERIES IN NEW YORK
- ART GALLERIES IN SAN FRANCISCO
- ART MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES IN THE UNITED STATES - Wikipedia.
- ART MUSEUMS IN THE UNITED STATES
- LOS ANGELES ART GALLERIES
- Agora - New York City, NY. Contemporary fine art gallery established in 1984.
- ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO - Chicago, IL.
- CHELSEA ART MUSEUM - New York City, NY.
- CORCORAN GALLERY OF ART - Washington, D.C.
- Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art - Bentonville, AR.
- Dallas Museum of Art | DMA - founded in 1903. The museum collection is made up of more than 24,000 objects, dating from the third millennium BC to the present day.
- DE YOUNG - San Francisco, CA.
- Detroit Institute of Arts - has one of the largest, most significant art collections in the United States.
- Freer Gallery of Art / Arthur M. Sackler Gallery - Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. Must see: James Whistler's Peacock Room.
- FRICK COLLECTION - New York City, NY.
- Guggenheim - 1071 Fifth Avenue (at 89th Street) New York City, NY 10128.
- HAMMER MUSEUM - Los Angeles, CA.
- Honolulu Academy of Arts - Honolulu, HI. "Come Be Inspired."
- ICA | INSTITUTE OF CONTEMPORARY ARTS - Boston, MA.
- ISABELLA STEWART GARDNER MUSEUM - Boston, MA. In the early morning hours of March 18, 1990 - as the city was preoccupied with Saint Patrick's Day celebrations - a pair of thieves disguised as Boston police officers gained entry to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and stole thirteen works of art. All together, the stolen pieces are estimated to be a loss of $500 million, making the robbery the largest private property theft ever. Several empty frames hang in the Dutch Room gallery, both in homage to the missing works and as placeholders for when they are returned. The stolen artworks have not yet been returned to the museum and the selection of works puzzles the experts, specifically since more valuable artworks were available.
- METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART - New York City, NY. The largest art museum in the United States, and one of the ten largest in the world. Its permanent collection contains more than two million works, divided among seventeen curatorial departments.
- MOCA | MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART - North Miami, FL.
- MODERN ART MUSEUM - Fort Worth, TX.
- MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART - Chicago, IL.
- MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS, BOSTON - Boston, MA.
- MUSEUM OF MODERN ART | MOMA - New York City, NY.
- NATIONAL GALLERY OF ART - Washington, D.C.
- NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY - Washington, D.C.
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art - Kansas City, MO.
- NEW MUSEUM - New York City, NY.
- NORTON SIMON MUSEUM - Pasadena, CA.
- SAN FRANCISCO MUSEUM OF MODERN ART - San Francisco, CA.
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum - New York City, NY.
- THE ANDY WARHOL MUSEUM - Pittsburgh, PA.
- THE ART INSTITUE OF CHICAGO - Chicago, IL.
- THE ART INSTITUTE - Chicabo, IL.
- The Dali Museum - St. Petersburg, FL.
- THE GETTY VILLA - Malibu, CA.
- THE J. PAUL GETTY MUSEUM - Los Angeles, CA.
- Walters Art Museum - Mount Vernon Baltimore, MD.
- Whitney Museum of American Art - New York City, NY.
- WORLD EROTIC ART MUSEUM - Miami Beach, FL.