Top 30 High-End Dealers of Antiques and Collectibles
An ANTIQUE (Latin: antiquus; "old", "ancient") is an old collectable item. It is collected or desirable because of its age, beauty, rarity, condition, utility, personal emotional connection, and/or other unique features. It is an object that represents a previous era or time period in human society. It is common practice to define "antique" as applying to objects at least 100 years old.
Antiques are usually objects that show some degree of craftsmanship - or a certain attention to design, such as a desk or an early automobile. They are bought at antique shops, estate sales, auction houses, online auctions, and other venues, or estate inherited. Antique dealers often belong to national trade associations, many of which belong to CINOA, a confederation of art and antique associations across 21 countries that represents 5,000 dealers.
Antique & Collectible News, Reviews & Resources
- An Elderly Couple Sold a ‘Worthless’ African Mask for $157. Now They Are Suing the Buyer Who Auctioned It for $4.4 Million - "The couple has accused a local antiques dealer of cheating them out of a fair price for the rare object. The case has already gone through several stages. The antiques dealer initially offered to settle out of court by paying the couple 300,000, or about $315,000, for the mask but they were not able to reach an agreement because of the opposition of the couple’s children, according to court documents. Though the case remains open, the appeals court has re-ordered the seizure of the proceeds of the sale, which amounts to 3.1 million, after deduction of costs and capital gains tax - until a judgement is made."
- ANTIQUES - Wikipedia.
- ANTIQUES TRADE GAZETTE - since 1971. "The Art Market Weekly." Dedicated to serving the art and antiques community through unrivalled news coverage and analysis. The newspaper read by all serious buyers and sellers of art and antiques.
- Chinese vase sells for 10,000 times estimated price - The Telegraph.
- Chinese vase valued below $2,000 sells for nearly $9 million after bidding frenzy - "The blue-and-white Tianqiuping vase went under the hammer at the Osenat auction house in Fontainebleau, near Paris, on Saturday, and achieved a final price of 9.121 million including fees, according to the company website."
- hatfields restoration - since 1834. "Restoration, Conservation & Fabrication." Hatfields are world leading craftsmen experienced in restoration, conservation and fabrication. We work with important period objects from the 16th Century to contemporary design. We create new pieces after antique designs, from humidors to breakfront bookcases, as well as realize entirely modern concepts working with famous contemporary designers.
- HÔtel Lambert, Une Collection PrinciÈre - Discover the thrilling series of Hôtel Lambert sales at Sotheby's. Paris | 11-14 October 2022.
- House of Faberge: The story behind the world's most luxurious eggs - CNN style.
- How to Identify Hepplewhite Style Antique Furniture - The Spruce Crafts.
- Inside the private collection of a Rothschild heir - "History's riches: Inside the private collection of a Rothschild heir."
- Invaluable.com - "The World's Premier Online Auctions" Bid online in live auctions from all over the world. Browse fine and decorative art, antiques, estate jewelry, coins and stamps, collectibles, and more!
- LA BIENNALE PARIS 2021 - since 1962. "The unmissable gathering that launches the cultural season every Autumn, the Biennale Paris is one of the world’s leading art events, bringing together internationally renowned art and antique dealers, design galleries, jewellers and collectors under the iconic nave of the Grand Palais." An annual show, organised by prominent art and antique dealers, in what is the undisputed capital city for the profession, the Biennale Paris presents museum quality works spanning 6,000 years of art from across all continents and disciplines, including archaeology, painting, textile, sculpture, ceramic and the decorative arts. Grand Palais, Paris, France. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the health risks associated with the organization of an international event, the 32nd edition of La Biennale Paris will be postponed to September 2021.
- Masterpiece Fair London - since 2010. "The leading international cross-collecting Fair for art, antiques and design, has become a must-attend event at the heart of the capital’s busy summer art and auction season." June 24-29.
- Marie Antoinette’s furniture up for auction in Paris - "Two pieces of furniture formerly owned by France’s Queen Marie Antoinette are set to go to auction on November 22 at Christie’s in Paris. The 250-year-old chest of drawers and chair are estimated to be worth 800,000 to 1.2 million euros ($832,000-1.25 million) and 100,000 to 200,000 euros ($104,000-208,000) respectively."
- The Art & Antiques Fair | Olympia - since 1973. 160+ art & antique dealers. Biannual events held at Olympia Exhibition Centre in London, England, U.K. We are planning our Winter Art & Antiques Fair as usual. This will run from 1-7 November and we look forward to celebrating our 30th Anniversary with you.
- 'The best of the best' - Masterpieces from a Rothschild Collection - at Christie’s London on 4 July comprises more than 50 lots with exceptional provenance.
- The decline of antiques & objects that last for centuries - "Will people alive today leave fewer possessions behind?"
- The European Fine Art Fair | TEFAF - "Established in 1988, TEFAF is widely regarded as the world’s pre-eminent fair of art and antiques. We champion the finest quality art from across the ages by creating a community of the world’s top art dealers and experts to inspire lovers and buyers of art everywhere." Tefaf Maastricht: September 11-19, Tefaf New York Spring: May 6-10.
- U.S. Antique Shows - "The Producer of some of the most prestigious antiques events in the world. Presenting the most well-respected vintage and antiques purveyors from across the globe, U.S. Antique Shows serves the unique needs of the entire antiques community by showcasing a wide range of antiques, jewelry, watches, art, furniture and home décor. U.S. Antique Show events attract antique and vintage collectors, enthusiasts, designers and decorators, and world-renown vendors representing a wide range of eras and categories.
- Van Ingen & Van Ingen - simply Van Ingen, or Van Ingen of Mysore (1900–1999) were Indian taxidermists located in Mysore, South India, best known for their tiger and leopard taxidermy trophy mounts.
- Why these imperfect Korean ‘moon jars’ sell for millions - "Old, round, imperfect and beautiful - that’s how fans of Korean art describe the moon jar, or dalhangari. These unassuming, plain white pots have entranced everyone from rapper RM, of K-pop sensation BTS, to philosopher Alain de Botton. If price is any indicator of popularity, one recently sold for over $4.5 million at a Christie’s auction."
Top 30 High-End Dealers of Antiques & Collectibles
- adrian alan - since 1964. "London's leading fine art and antiques galleries."
- Andrew Nebbett Antiques - "We are passionate about what we do. We specialise in classic 20c designed furniture and unique industrial design - with over 25 years of experience in antique sourcing, bespoke furniture consultancy and restoration." Tetbury, Gloucestershire, U.K.
- ANTIQUAIRES DROUOT - since 1978. Paris, France.
- ANTIQUE DEALERS' ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA - since 1984.
- ART & ANTIQUE DEALERS LEAGUE OF AMERICA | AADLA - since 1926. "Over 100 fine art and antiques dealers - 80 fields of expertise." Browse the collections of our highly knowledgeable and experienced members, representing over fifty fields of expertise.
- au vieux paris antiques - "Specializing in exceptional 17th, 18th and 19th century French antiques, decorative and fine arts." Breaux Bridge, LA 70517, U.S.A.
- AUTOGRAPH COLLECTION - since 2005. Collectable autographs & signed memorabilia.
- Bentleys - since 1989. "Bentleys is a true destination shop; a treasure-trove of the unexpected. Since Tim Bent founded the company in 1989, we have specialised in finding antique English leather accessories and travel goods, beautifully made silver from the Edwardian era and the finest vintage trunks from the great French houses of Louis Vuitton, Goyard and Hermès." 91, Lower Sloane Street, London SW1, U.K.
- Butchoff - since 1964. "Excellence in Antiques." Specialising in exceptional, exhibition-quality English and Continental furniture, objects d’art, clocks, mirrors, and paintings from the 18th and 19th centuries and housing one of the largest inventories in England. 154 Kensington Church St,
London W8 4BN, U.K.
- Carter Marsh & Co - since 1947. Dealer in English and European antique clocks, watches & barometers, including longcase, bracket, carriage, wall, lantern and precision instruments. 32A The Square, Winchester, SO23 9EX, U.K.
- CONNOISSEUR ANTIQUES - since 1970. "18th and 19th Century European Antique Furniture, Chandeliers, Mirrors and Accessories." This web site features a large selection from the entire collection consisting of nearly 7,000 pieces. New acquisitions are added regularly.
- FRENCH ANTIQUE DEALERS - "The guide to French antiques." Discover the on-line dealers and their catalogues, follow the French antique market, use the antique fair calendar.
- Galleria alessandra di castro - "Alessandra Di Castro comes from an old Roman family of antique dealers who have been doing business in the Italian capital since 1878. The main entrance at number 4 leads to a concealed courtyard the visitor into the secluded rooms of a historical 17th century palazzo housing old masters (primarily of Italian schools), sculptures, marbles, semi-precious stoneworks and rare objets d'art. Most of the artworks on display come from private collections." Piazza di Spagna 4, Rome, Italy.
- GOTTA HAVE IT! Collectibles, Inc. - founded in 1994. "The premier resource for the highest quality collectibles and fully authenticated Sports, Entertainment, Rock & Roll and Historical memorabilia." 153 East 57th Street, New York, NY 10022, U.S.A.
- Harry Fane - since 1978. "Vintage Cartier and Objets D'Art." The private London gallery, Obsidian, was established in 1978 by Harry Fane to deal exclusively in vintage Cartier and objets d’art. Today, Obsidian sells a wide range of jewellery and objects, vintage and modern, and is well known for private commissions in both jewels and precious items.
- I. FRANKS - established 1950. "Purveyors of the Finest Quality Antique
British Silver and Silver Plate." I.Franks are purveyors of the finest quality Antique Silver, Old Sheffield Plate and Silver Plate. Dealing from the world famous London Silver Vaults in Chancery Lane, London, for more than 50 years, they specialise in domestic, British Silverware from the Georgian and Victorian Periods, as well as 20th Century silverware.
Offering an unrivalled stock, which showcases the incredible stylistic breadth of English Silver, including Baroque, Neoclassical, Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau and Art Deco design.
- London ANTIQUE CLOCK CENTRE - since 1963. "We are clock specialists based in London's famous Portobello Road, Notting Hill Gate."
- Mallett Antiques - since 1865. "Mallett was established in 1865 in Bath and over the course of 150 years of trading has established itself as one of the world’s foremost brands for fine and decorative arts, specialising in the highest quality English and continental furniture." Having been pioneers in retailing antiques from prestigious locations in London’s Mayfair and New York the creation of a suite of rooms at Donnington Priory, an historic Grade II listed country house in Berkshire, will perpetuate this tradition. Mallett takes a modern and accessible approach, with the convenience of online trading supported by exhibitions in our own galleries and at international art fairs. By appointment only: 16-17 Pall Mall, St James’s, London SW1Y 5LU, U.K.
- Max Rollitt - since 1993. "All the best dealers have their own style, and Max Rollitt’s is distinctive. He has an infallible eye for line and proportion, a bold sense of scale, and a leaning towards furnishings that are classical and architectural." Avington, Hampshire, England.
- Nicholas Haslam Ltd - established in 1980. 10-14 Holbein Place, London, SW1W 8NL, U.K.
- Petersen Antiques - established in 1989. "Let us help you find the right antique." 4901 W Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90016, U.S.A.
- Pushkin Antiques - since 2012. "We are leading international specialists in Antique Silver, Luxury Interiors and Objects of Vertu." 64 High St, Tunbridge Wells TN1 1YB, U.K.
- Sibyl Colefax & John Fowler - "Founded in the 1930s, Sibyl Colefax & John Fowler is the longest established interior decorating firm in Great Britain, synonymous with the English country house aesthetic for nearly a century. Relaxed, inviting, deeply comfortable and entirely personal, Sibyl’s pioneering approach - effortlessly mixing old with new, luxurious with humble - is today interpreted by the seven decorators, supported by an architectural interior designer."
- The BRITISH ANTIQUE DEALERS' ASSOCIATION | BADA - since 1918. "The finest antiques. The best British dealers."
- The National Antique & Art Dealers Association of America | NAADAA - " Founded in 1954, Naadaa is America's premier Antique and Art Dealer's Association."
- THE SHOPS AT MALLERIES - since 2006. Online mall designed for professionals who are in the antiques, art, fine furnishings, jewelry & luxury goods industry.
- Timothy Corrigan - "Founded in 1997, Timothy Corrigan Inc. is considered one of the leading interior design firms in the world. We are known for creating timeless and comfortably elegant interiors. With offices in Los Angeles and Paris, our firm has completed projects around the world." See our Complete Collection of Antiques and select New and Custom Furniture on 1stdibs Each piece has been personally curated by Timothy Corrigan.
- Wildschut - since 2000. "Antiques & Oddities." Antique dealer and interior studio. We sell French antiques and rare finds. 1e Looiersdwarsstraat 8b-hs, 1016 VM Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Zebregs & RÖell - since 2011. "Fine Art and Antiques." Zebregs & Röell specializes in Colonial Art and Antiques, Natural History and Wunderkammer objects. Keizersgracht 543, 1017 DP Amsterdam, Netherlands.