World's Top 25 Best Truffles Online Stores & Suppliers
"We don't care to eat toadstools that think they are truffles." - Mark Twain.
"Whosoever says truffle, utters a grand word, which awakens erotic and gastronomic ideas." - Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin.
"The most learned men have been questioned as to the nature of this tuber, and after two thousand years of argument and discussion their answer is the same as it was on the first day: we do not know. The truffles themselves have been interrogated, and have answered simply: eat us and praise the Lord." - Alexandre Dumas.
"You pay its weight in gold for it, then in most cases you put it to some paltry use. You smear it with foie gras, you bury it in poultry overloaded with fat, you chop it up and drown it in brown sauce, you mix it with vegetables covered in mayonnaise... To hell with thin slices, strips, trimmings, and peelings of truffles! Is it not possible to like them for themselves?" - Colette.
A TRUFFLE is the fruiting body of a subterranean Ascomycete fungus, predominantly one of the many species of the genus Tuber. Some of the truffle species are highly prized as a food. French gourmand Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin called truffles "the diamond of the kitchen". Edible truffles are held in high esteem in Middle Eastern, French, Spanish, Italian, and Greek ectomycorrhizal fungi and are therefore usually found in close association with the roots of trees. Spore dispersal is accomplished through fungivores, animals that eat fungi.
The WHITE TRUFFLE or trifola d'Alba (Tuber magnatum) comes from the Langhe and Montferrat areas of the Piedmont region in northern Italy and, most famously, in the countryside around the cities of Alba and Asti; in Italy it can also be found in Molise, Abruzzo, and in the hills around San Miniato, in Tuscany. It is also found on the Istria peninsula, in Croatia in the Motovun forest along the Mirna river, and in Slovenia along the Dragonja and Rizana river, as well as in the Drome area in France. Growing symbiotically with oak, hazel, poplar and beech and fruiting in autumn, they can reach 12 cm (5 in) diameter and 500 g, though are usually much smaller. The flesh is pale cream or brown with white marbling. Italian white truffles are very highly esteemed and are the most valuable on the market: The white truffle market in Alba is busiest in the months of October and November when the Fiera del Tartufo (truffle fair) takes place. In 2001, the Tuber magnatum truffles sold for between 1000-2200 USD per pound (2000-4500 USD per kg); as of December 2009 they were being sold at 14,203.50 USD per kilogram.
The BLACK TRUFFLE or black Périgord truffle (Tuber melanosporum), the second-most commercially valuable species, is named after the Périgord region in France and grows with oak and hazelnut trees. Black truffles are harvested in late autumn and winter. The genome sequence of the black truffle was published in March 2010.
Truffle News, Reviews & Resources
- 8 white truffle dishes worth splurging on this autumn - "White truffle season is upon us, and the city’s high court of gastronomy from French temples of haute cuisine to elegant Italian fine diners and even a handful of Japanese restaurants are embracing the prized ingredient in exclusive dishes showcasing the rare, seasonal item."
- 36 Hours in Istria, Croatia - "Truffle aficionados aren’t the only ones who will appreciate this food lover’s paradise in northern Croatia. Ancient hill towns, craggy shorelines and a rich history are only a few of the peninsula’s other attractions."
- A magnatum in the hand - Friend & Burrell White Truffle News September 2019.
- Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester celebrates the decadence of black truffle - The Telegraph.
- All About Truffles - Laurel Pine.
- BLACK TRUFFLE - Wikipedia.
- BRUNO * Since 1983. (Chef: Clément Bruno). "Truffels, Truffels, Truffels ..." Gastronomie Var.
- CARPENTRAS TRUFFLE MARKET - from the 21st of november to end of march.
- CASPIAN CAVIAR - "This beautiful Truffle Shaver with rosewood handle and serrated blade from Paq Gubbio, is a perfect gift for any cook and is an essential item in any serious kitchen."
- CELEBRATE TRUFFLE SEASON WITH THESE TASTY FACTS ABOUT THE CULINARY DELICACY - Maxim.
- Charbonnel et Walker - since 1875. "Britain's first and finest chocolatier. Chocolate Truffles." Our exquisite truffles are made from the finest ingredients. Butter is folded into melted milk chocolate and alcohol is added such as decadent Marc de Champagne. The mixture is whisked to form a thick ganache and the truffles are then surrounded by a coating of fine chocolate and are lightly dusted in icing sugar.
- CHINESE TRUFFLES - Wikipedia.
- Don’t drop it: World’s most expensive ice cream costs $6,400 - "The frozen dessert, called byakuya - 'white night' in Japanese - is currently fetching 880,000 yen ($6,380) for a serving, officially making it the most expensive ice cream in the world, according to Guinness World Records. Sourced exclusively from Alba - home to what many consider the best white truffles in Italy - that ingredient alone could rake in as much as two million yen ($14,500) per kilogram, said an article published on the Guinness World Records website last week. The ice cream is topped off by an edible gold leaf, two types of cheese and 'Sakekasu,' a paste-like ingredient derived from the process of sake-making."
- Foie gras, truffles, birds drowned in brandy: a menu fit for Queen Victoria - "A royal lunch served at Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire forms part of an exhibition on its kitchen."
- Following the black diamond trail - "The Tricastin region is the centre of French production of the famous black truffle (60% of national production). This prestigious 'black diamond', once widely consumed, has today become rare, a refined delicacy to be found on the best tables."
- Has a Start-Up Found the Secret to Farming the Elusive Truffle? - The New York Times.
- How Australia is shaking up the truffle market - "When his dogs sniff out a prized black truffle under the soil, Nigel Wood says it is always an exciting moment for the accompanying humans too."
- How to make the perfect chocolate truffles - "Easter brings a banquet of below-par chocs. Celebrate the good stuff instead by making some delicious truffles - but will you top them with sea salt, cocoa or yet more chocolate?"
- How White Truffle Season Marks the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - "Here’s how to get the most delicious return on your truffle investment."
- Hunting for truffles in the Iraqi desert - in pictures - "Braving harsh weather and the threat of left-behind landmines, families spend weeks hunting for seasonal truffles to sell at market."
- Hunting for Truffles Is a Perilous Pursuit, Especially for the Dogs Who Dig - "Truffles are big business, and some are trying to take out the competition by poisoning the dogs that accompany those known as 'truffle hunters.'"
- I found the largest truffle in the world - "'I could have sold my 1.3kg truffle for a fortune. But I had something more special in mind.'"
- Italian Wine Producer Reminisces About Past Truffle Hunts In New York City's Central Park - "As a group of people were led by a very enthusiastic dog, they were sometimes distracted by the diverse natural beauty of their surroundings - gentle slopes that were accented by a range of colorful autumn trees one minute and the next minute, a swath of flat grassy land that would lead to rocky ravines. From the viewpoint of onlookers, it was just a bunch of people going for a fast-paced walk with an adorable Lagotto dog that seemed like a living stuffed animal with its abundant curly, wool-ish coat. Even though some dog owners passed the Lagotto dog with their own dogs, she wasn’t dissuaded from her mission as her owner gave her an important task. Truffles, she was searching for truffles! In New York City’s Central Park of all places!"
- Italy’s prized white truffles sell for big money in fancy restaurants. But there’s a deadly cost - "The massacre was silent, the assassins stealthy and the impact devastating. The victims: more than 30 dogs, highly trained to sniff out the valuable truffles that grow underground near the dank and musty roots of trees in central Italy’s rural Abruzzo and Molise regions."
- Larusmiani Milano - "Handmade in Italy since 1922." Truffle Set 'Moscato.'
- National White Truffle Exhibition in San Miniato - since 1946. "A Must-Attend Event for Fans of all Thing Gourmet." Typically held over the last three weekends of November, the festival brings together gourmands, professional buyers and curious tasters for full days of open-air fun and truffle-based menus.
- New York City restaurant unveils $200 french fries - "The Crème de la Crème Pommes Frites start out as Chipperbec potatoes. They are blanched - or scalded - in vinegar and champagne. Then they fry in pure goose fat, not oil, and not once but twice, so they are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Sprinkled with edible gold and seasoned with truffle salt and truffle oil, they are served on a crystal plate with an orchid, thin-sliced truffles, and a Mornay cheese dip. The sauce, too, is infused with truffles, a rare seasonal mushroom."
- RESTAURANT BRUNO * (Chef: Clément Bruno). "Truffels, Truffels, Truffels ..." It has been a unique menu for more than 30 years, based on quality products, from suppliers we have selected over time and that we accommodate with truffles from different families, which also explains the differences in prices and of course, if the proposed menu is not suitable, there is always an alternative. Our cuisine is based on simplicity, leaving room for products to express themselves. 2350 route des Arcs, Le Plan Campagne Mariette, 83510 Lorgues (Var), France.
- The hunt for black gold: is California the world's next truffle hotspot? - "For decades, enthusiasts have hoped truffles can follow wine’s path to success in the state."
- This decadent dish showcases the famous black truffle - "'Essence of the Woods Pasta With Porcini and Truffle.' The dish combines the delicious flavors of beetroot, porcini mushrooms and black garlic to create a mouthwatering pasta sauce that complements but doesn't upstage the star of the show - a whole lot of truffle."
- Tournedos Rossini - French steak dish, named after 19th century composer Gioachino Rossini. Its invention is attributed to French master chef Marie-Antoine Carême or Adolphe Dugléré, or Savoy Hotel chef Auguste Escoffier. The dish comprises a beef tournedos (filet mignon), pan-fried in butter, served on a crouton, and topped with a hot slice of fresh whole foie gras briefly pan-fried at the last minute. The dish is garnished with slices of black truffle and finished with a Madeira demi-glace sauce.
- Truffle chips, truffle pizza, truffle popcorn ... how a luxury item became ubiquitous - "The ‘food of the gods’ is now within everyone’s reach. But is there less to the new snacks than meets the eye?"
- TRUFFLE Fairs - Acqualagna, Italy.
- Truffle Markets in Provence - Marjorie R. Williams.
- Truffle recipes - BBC Food.
- Truffle Stock Exchange of the Marches - Acqualagna, Italy.
- TRUFFLES - Wikipedia.
- TRUFFLES - The Most Expensive Food in the World - 60 Minutes.
- Truffles Are Becoming Even More Expensive. Blame Climate Change - "Harvests of the fungi are plummeting as Europe gets drier, pushing the prices of some varieties to eye-watering heights."
- Truffles the Ultimate Luxury Food with Wine Pairings - The Wine Cellar Insider.
- Tuber melanosporum - called the black truffle, Périgord truffle or French black truffle, is a species of truffle native to Southern Europe. It is one of the most expensive edible fungi in the world.
- WHITE TRUFFLE - Wikipedia.
- World’s Largest White Truffle - the truffle was found last week in the Umbrian region of Italy weighing 4.16 pounds or 1.89 kilos. A white truffle is the rarest and most coveted food ingredient in the world. They are found only by using specially trained dogs in specific areas of Italy during the months of October, November, and December. Sold on December 6, 2014 at Sotheby's New York for US$61,250.
Top 25 Best Truffles Online Stores & Suppliers
- BELLORR - since 2008. "Maison de Qualité." Périgord truffle (Tuber Melanosporum) and summer truffle (Tuber Aestium).
- BOSCOVIVO - since 1982. "Selects the best fresh truffles harvested mainly in the regions of central Italy according to the season. The product is carefully selected by a team of experts to guarantee the best products to our customers."
- CASPIAN CAVIAR - since 2000. "We supply the very best fresh Italian truffles throughout the year, so long as they are available. Which truffles we have will depend on the season."
- CASPIAN CAVIAR - "Black Autumn Truffles (Tuber Uncinatum) have a wonderful earthy flavour and aroma, with hazelnuts, chocolate, and vanilla. The quality of these truffles should not be underestimated!" These truffles are whole, washed, hard truffles, individual size between 50 and 100 grammes.
- Caviar Russe online Store - since 2000. "Truffles are the quintessential culinary ingredient." Perigord Black Winter Truffles & Alba White Truffles.
- D'Artagnan - since 1985. "Truffles are one of the most precious gifts of nature, and available fleetingly during their season. Foraged from the roots of trees in great secrecy in the forest, truffles are earthy and intoxicating. Their distinctive fragrance has inspired culinary brilliance for centuries."
- Earthy Delights - since 1989. Truffles & truffle products. Online store.
- Fine Food Specialist - since 2012. "Buy Fine Foods & Specialty Items." For the ultimate in fine food indulgence, it’s difficult to beat truffles. For centuries truffles have been one of the most prized ingredients in the culinary world. Despite some attempts to harvest and cultivate them, it is the wild truffles which are more commonly favoured by gourmands, chefs and foodies alike. At Fine Food Specialist we offer a fantastic array of diverse fresh truffles and truffle products, suited to any budget.
- Foods in Season - since 1984. "The First Choice of America's Top Chefs!" White Truffles Are Here!
- FRIEND & BURRELL - since 1901. "The World's Finest Foods." Black Truffles (Tuber melanosporum): Collaborating with Australia’s leading truffle farmers in various regions in Western Australia, New South Wales, Tasmania and Victoria, Friend & Burrell has extensive, specialist experience and understanding of truffles. These fungal fruits have mystified and intoxicated living beings since ancient times with their warm fragrance and earthy, musky, pungent complexity.
- GARLAND TRUFFLES - since 1979. "The Truffle Experts." Garland Truffles is the premier truffle tree nursery in the Western Hemisphere. We are The Truffle Experts.
- Gourmet Food Store - since 2002. "Known as the diamonds of the culinary world, truffles are prized all over the world for their pungent aroma and distinct flavor." most pungent varieties grow during the winter when conditions are just right - not too cold but not too warm, and not too dry but not to rainy either! This temperamental tuber is beautifully pungent and fabulously aromatic! The white variety - the Alba Truffle - can be found in Italy, while the black truffle, known as the Perigord truffle, grows in France and also in Italy, but also as far down south as in Australia, Argentina and even Chile! We source our fresh truffles from reputable truffle hunters and have them shipped to us every week during the season. When not available fresh, you can buy our preserved and frozen truffles online, plus our fabulous truffle ingredients like truffle salt, truffle oil, truffle butters and other wonderful items full of that luxurious flavor and aroma.
- Gourmet House - since 1965. "Truffles are famed for their pungent and aromatic flavor. With a taste that is both irresistible and indescribable, Gourmet House Caviar's truffles have long been sought after by the most celebrated chefs, in the world's most esteemed kitchens."
- HARRODS - since 1849. "Add richness and depth to your culinary repertoire with indulgent and impressive truffles and foie gras from the Harrods Food Halls. As the ultimate treat for the gourmet gastronome, a try of Artisan De La Truffe’s truffles and premium condiments is an experience like no other, while rich and earthy foie gras is perfect for smearing on lightly toasted bread."
- igourmet.com - since 1997. "Buy Truffles Online. White and Black!" Considered diamonds of the culinary world, Truffles are earthy delights that are renowned throughout the world for their unique and exquisite flavors and aromas. Truffles are the fruit of subterranean fungi which grow between two and fifteen inches underground, almost always near the root systems of certain trees, such as chestnut, oak, hazel and beech trees. For the most part, people refer to Truffles as either Black Truffles or White Truffles. While Black Truffles are quite black, White Truffles are not as white as their name may suggest. However they are noticeably lighter in color than Black Truffles, at least on the outside.
- LAUREL PINE - since 2004. "Living Luxury." Buy White Truffles, Black Truffles, Pure Truffle Oil. We are proud to offer the most aromatic and flavorful, premium quality fresh truffles available. Fresh truffles arrive weekly, and our customers always receive truffles from the most recent shipment. Whether you desire Perigord black truffles from France, Alba white truffles from Italy, summer truffles, Burgundy truffles, pure truffle oil, or truffle butter, let us be your personal source for exceptional truffle mushrooms. We would be delighted to handle your order personally. Please call or email us for special requests and availability.
- Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie - since 1894. "Spécialités du Sud-Ouest." French gastronomic institution is both a restaurant and a delicatessen. You can purchase all the goodness of French gastronomy here: fine wines from all other France: Bordeaux, Bourgogne, etc., Champagne, French vodka but also foie gras, confit duck, caviar, smoked salmon, different kinds of patés, cheeses ... 34, rue Montmartre, 75001 Paris, France.
- Longino & Cardenal - since 1988. "Domenica Bertolusso and Beppe Montanaro, founders of the company, created Tartuflanghe in 1980. The company has been proud for years of the title 'Artisan Excellence', issued by the Piedmont Region in recognition of its thirty years of experience in the world of quality gastronomic craftsmanship..."
- Marky's - since 1983. "International Food Emporium since 1983." In our truffles and mushrooms category you can choose gourmet mushrooms from the hundreds of submitted titles opens to you its range. Here you can find wide selection of various types of mushrooms. There are only true gourmet mushrooms at your disposal. And most importantly, here you can buy truffles!
- Perigord Truffles Of Tasmania - since 1993. "Let our truffles inspire your senses." Pioneered the French truffle industry in Australia. We produce and market French Black Truffles from the cold soils of Tasmania. Our Tasmanian truffles have been enjoyed in Australia’s best restaurants for 20 years. We now deliver our truffles direct to homes in Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong. Let the perfume of our truffles fill your kitchen and inspire your cooking.
- PETROSSIAN - founded in Paris in 1920. "After a century of perfecting caviar, the Petrossian Family is now bringing the same care and expertise to the world's finest truffles. Browse this exclusive new collection and find the perfect way to bring truffles into your kitchen."
- Plantin - "Le Goût de la Truffe depuis 1930." Plantin Kaviari is proud to select and carry the finest truffles available. And since we harvest most of them, we know what we are talking about. Whether you are looking for fresh black winter truffles or white truffles, we will be happy to offer you the best delicacy. As we care about the Earth that has given us so much, we respect the natural cycle of truffle orchards. Hence, truffles will only be available seasonally. Click and discover our selection of fresh truffles. It is all about taste and sustainability.
- Sabatino TRUFFLES - since 1911. "All about truffles." Sabatino Tartufi is the world's largest truffle company, acting as a importer, manufacturer, and distributor of both fresh and preserved truffles. The family-owned company established itself in 1911 in Umbria and now has offices all over the world, including Italy, Japan, Hong Kong,Canada, and the United States (New York City, Connecticut, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, and Las Vegas). Luxury Italian Truffles Online Shop.
- SAN MINIATO - "White truffles from San Miniato." San Miniato is one of the most productive truffle-rich areas of Europe. The white truffle (which is usually a pale ochre in colour) that grows in the San Miniato hills is the most valuable type known. Our truffles have a reputation for quality not only because of the fertility of the woods where they grow, but also because of the care taken where they are gathered. Truffle collection is regulated by strict controls and a regional law that defines how they are gathered and marketed. They are gathered selectively and in moderation, and production is limited due to the brevity of their season (the three months of October, November and December).
- Seattle Caviar Company - since 1990. "When in season, we offer both fresh black and white truffles."
- Sybaritic - since 2010. "Truffles & Fine Fare." The UK’s leading fresh truffle supplier. Supplying fresh truffles & truffle products to trade customers. The company has grown to become one the UK’s leading fresh truffle suppliers. We now import and distribute truffles globally from more than 10 countries and have offices in the UK and Spain. We have fresh truffle available 365 days a year, offering 7 different varieties currently. Buy fresh black and white truffles online by the gram from the UKs number one truffle merchant. Spring, winter and summer truffles. Fresh truffle prices change weekly, so we provide you with the latest pricing every Monday, along with news about what is happening with the current season and upcoming seasons.
- Tasmanian Truffles - since 1999. "Truffles from the world's most fertile soil." Australia’s first, and finest, truffles. One cold winter’s afternoon in 1999, Tim Terry harvested Australia’s first black truffle from the rich soil of his Deloraine farm. Since then, Tasmanian Truffles has become the country’s premium producer of exquisite black truffles.
- TRUFFLES AT AMAZON.COM - as of June 25, 2023: 224 results.
- Truffles by Cortesi - since 2005. "Umbria's freshest and ripest, delivered by London's first truffle Queen, Meera Cortesi. I supply over 70 restaurants and chefs in London."
- URBANI TRUFFLES - founded 1850. Claims 70% of the world market for both black and white truffles. Not only do Urbani truffles take a leading role in the industry, but they are also a proof of the company’s true cultural commitment. Nowadays, as in the past, Urbani puts a great care in every stage of the production and distribution to achieve a quality that brings together the highest standards of taste and reflects the brand’s image and consistency. To this end, driven by that same old passion, the company presents today its catalog of truffle-based products to offer their world of good taste and refinement to an even greater number of people.
- URBANI TRUFFLES ONLINE SHOP - "The best truffle in the world at your home in 24 hours." Fresh black (winter) & white (summer) truffles, frozen truffles, truffle oil, Bianchetti truffles, truffle sauces, truffled products, and more.