Top 20 High-End Foie Gras Online Stores & Suppliers
"My idea of heaven is eating paté de foie gras to the sound of trumpets." - Sydney Smith.
FOIE GRAS Foie gras (French for "fat liver") is a food product made of the liver of a duck or goose that has been specially fattened. By French law, foie gras is defined as the liver of a duck or goose fattened by force-feeding corn with a gavage, although in Spain and other counties outside of France it is occasionally produced using natural feeding.
Foie gras is a popular and well-known delicacy in French cuisine. Its flavor is described as rich, buttery, and delicate, unlike that of an ordinary duck or goose liver. Foie gras is sold whole, or is prepared into mousse, parfait, or pâté (the lowest quality), and may also be served as an accompaniment to another food item, such as steak. French law states that "Foie gras belongs to the protected cultural and gastronomical heritage of France."
The technique of gavage dates as far back as 2500 BC, when the ancient Egyptians began keeping birds for food and deliberately fattened the birds through force-feeding. Today, France is by far the largest producer and consumer of foie gras, though it is produced and consumed worldwide, particularly in other European nations, the United States, and China.
Foie Gras News & Resources
- A foie gras ban is overdue - but what about other foods made from animal suffering? - "Some aquatic animals, like fish and octopus, are chewed to death while still alive. Others are boiled alive, ripped or cut apart, or even salted to death."
- Bird flu hits French foie gras industry at busiest time of year - The Guardian.
- FOIE GRAS - Wikipedia.
- Foie gras, truffles, birds drowned in brandy: a menu fit for Queen Victoria - "A royal lunch served at Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire forms part of an exhibition on its kitchen."
- ‘Fuah!’ sure: the vegan foie gras selling out across Spain - "The plant-based pate has exceeded the Spanish startup’s expectations as orders fly in."
- 'I'll go back to France': New Yorkers react to city's foie gras ban - "Chefs and diners lament the loss of a delicacy and warn of impact on jobs, while some acknowledge concerns about animal welfare."
- King Charles BANS 'torture in a tin' foie gras from ALL royal residences, animal rights group Peta says - "A long-standing detractor of the French delicacy, the King removed the food from his royal residences as Prince of Wales as far back as 2008, when he instructed Clarence House chefs not to use it."
- Michelin menus in turmoil as France faces foie gras crisis - "France faces crisis over one of its favorite foods."
- New York City poised to ban sale of foie gras - "City council members expected to pass bill which would impose $1,000 fine and up to one year behind bars for selling delicacy."
- Tournedos Rossini - French steak dish, named after 19th century composer Gioachino Rossini. Its invention is attributed to French master chef Marie-Antoine Carême or Adolphe Dugléré, or Savoy Hotel chef Auguste Escoffier. The dish comprises a beef tournedos (filet mignon), pan-fried in butter, served on a crouton, and topped with a hot slice of fresh whole foie gras briefly pan-fried at the last minute. The dish is garnished with slices of black truffle and finished with a Madeira demi-glace sauce.
Top 20 Best Foie Gras Online Suppliers
- Balik - since 1978. 8 products.
- CASPIAN CAVIAR - since 2000. "Foie Gras & Confit."
- CAVIAR HOUSE & PRUNIER - since 2004. 12 products.
- Caviar Russe Store - since 2000. "Prepared especially for Caviar Russe, according to exacting European tradition, our foie gras products offer a rich and silky indulgence." 2 products.
- D'Artagnan - since 1985. "There’s nothing else like foie gras. Buttery, unctuous, silky or creamy depending on the preparation, every bite brings an unsurpassed and nearly indescribable flavor flooding over the taste buds. With its high fat content, velvety foie gras literally melts in the mouth."
- Fine Food Specialist - since 2012. "Buy Fine Foods & Specialty Items." Foie gras has long been a French delicacy, and is now internationally popular, due to its rich, distinctive flavour. Lauded in gourmet kitchens and home cooking alike, foie gras is versatile, yet is most often served as a starter. Here at Fine Food Specialist we offer a broad selection of foie gras and foie gras related products, from fresh A grade duck and goose, to gourmet Strasbourg en croutes, something to suit every occasion.
- FOIE GRAS AT AMAZON.COM'S GROCERY & GOURMET FOOD - 90 results as of February 11, 2022.
- Fauchon Paris - since 1886. "Foie gras & terrines."
- Foie Gras en Croute - "The famous 'Foie Gras de Strasbourg' with Truffles in a delicious round crust. The 'Georges Bruck' name is associated with highest-quality foie gras in the best places all over the world."
- FORTNUM & MASON - Piccadilly since 1707. "Our foie gras is produced by just two farms carefully selected for their excellent welfare standards; smooth and creamy, it is the simplest way to transform a meal into a banquet."
- Georges Bruck Foies Gras - "Créateur de Foies Gras depuis 1852." Since 1852 has brought the fame of Strasbourg foie gras to around the world.
- Gourmet Food Store - since 2003. "Foie Gras and Pate." We proudly offer some of the most exquisite foie gras and pates for sale on the market! At Gourmet Food Store you’ll find everything from silky foie gras mousses to chunky rilletes and textured foie gras pates. Our pride and joy are plump, velvety and beautiful whole duck foie gras lobes, perfect for simply searing and enjoying the true luxury of pure foie gras. We also carry 100% duck foie gras blocs, classic terrines studded with aromatic truffles and whipped with port wine, country-style pates, plus other specialties like rendered duck fat (essential for cooking), great-quality foie gras knives, and accompaniments like preserves and jams.
- HARRODS - since 1849. "Add richness and depth to your culinary repertoire with indulgent and impressive truffles and foie gras from the Harrods Food Halls. As the ultimate treat for the gourmet gastronome, a try of Artisan De La Truffe’s truffles and premium condiments is an experience like no other, while rich and earthy foie gras is perfect for smearing on lightly toasted bread." 18 products.
- HUDSON VALLEY FOIE GRAS - since 1989. "Producers of Award-Winning Foir Gras and Other Delectable Duck Products." The premier source to purchase foie gras and duck products online in the United States.
- IGOURMET.COM - since 1997. "Order Online at the #1 Source for Gourmet Food and Gift Baskets." Buy Foie Gras online from igourmet.com! Please visit our online Foie Gras selection and go shopping at the number one imported food delivery service in the USA.
- Laurel Pine - "Culinary Delights Since 2004." FOIE GRAS: Duck and Goose Foie Gras, Pate de Foie Gras, and More. Laurel Pine, Living Luxury offers more foie gras choices than you will find anywhere else online. We work with all the major foie gras producers, have personally tried every product, and can guide you in your selection and foie gras preparation, should you need help. Need foie gras recipe ideas? Call us or consult our blog. We would be delighted to help.
- Le Comptoir de la Gastronomie - since 1894. French gastronomic institution is both a restaurant and a delicatessen. You can purchase online all the goodness of French gastronomy here: Terrine of duck foie gras, raw duck foie gras undeveined, homemade semi-cooked duck foie gras, canned duck foie gras & duck foie gras in glass jar.
- Longino & Cardenal - since 1988. "Georges Bruck: Foie gras Strasbourg." Georges Bruck has been the leading worldwide ambassador for Foie Gras de Strasbourg since 1852. The quality of its production is the fruit of long-standing experience, combined with cutting-edge technology. Having been bled, salted and spiced, the raw fat liver is then cooked, and following specific processes, it becomes the best foie gras in the world.
- Marky's - International Food Emporium since 1983. "Fois gras can be made from both duck and goose liver. It’s a dish that has won the hearts of fans of gourmet food all over the world for years. People are crazy about its unusual but delicious taste. The secret is that for producing there is a special goose and duck liver that has to be used. Marky’s knows this secret and is able to offer you the best deli product available. So buy foie gras online today with just one click."
- PETROSSIAN - "Exquisite Food and Gifts Since 1920." Petrossian Duck Foie Gras. The Ultimate Indulgence. This exquisite Whole Duck Foie Gras is lightly poached in a simple bouillon with authentic Perigordian seasonings, which lets the rich subtleties and velvety texture come through. True luxuries for the palate.
- Seattle Caviar Company - since 1990. "Foie Gras & Duck."
- Tour d'Argent - since 1582. "Offer yourselves one 'ducky ' moment with our delicious rillettes with duck foie gras and prepare your vinaigrette Tour d'Argent with our hand-crafted products." Buy foie gras online from this historic restaurant in Paris.