Top 25 Hoverboards, Scooters, Skateboards, Segways
A HOVERBOARD (or hover board) is a fictional levitating board used for personal transportation, first described by author M. K. Joseph in 1967 and popularized by the Back to the Future film franchise. Hoverboards are generally depicted as resembling a skateboard without wheels. During the 1990s there were rumors, fueled by director Robert Zemeckis, that hoverboards were in fact real, but not marketed because they were deemed too dangerous by parents' groups. These rumors have been conclusively debunked. The hoverboard concept has been used by many authors in various forms of media.
A SKATEBOARD is a type of sports equipment used primarily for the sport of skateboarding. It usually consists of a specially designed maplewood board combined with a polyurethane coating used for making smoother slides and stronger durability. Most skateboards are made with 7 plies of this wood.
A skateboard is moved by pushing with one foot while the other remains on the board, or by pumping one's legs in structures such as a bowl or half pipe. A skateboard can also be used by simply standing on the deck while on a downward slope and allowing gravity to propel the board and rider. If the rider's leading foot is their right foot, they are said to ride "goofy;" if the rider's leading foot is their left foot, they are said to ride "regular." If the rider is normally regular but chooses to ride goofy, they are said to be riding in "switch," and vice versa. A skater is typically more comfortable pushing with their back foot; choosing to push with the front foot is commonly referred to as riding "mongo", and has negative connotations of style and effectiveness in the skateboarding community.
An ELECTRIC SKATEBOARD is a personal transporter based on a skateboard. The speed is controlled by a hand-held throttle or weight-shifting and the direction of travel is adjusted by tilting the board to one side or the other.
A SELF-BALANCING TWO-WHEELED BOARD or scooter is a portable, rechargeable battery-powered vehicle. It consists of two wheels arranged side-by-side, joined by two small platforms on which the rider stands, and an internal balancing mechanism. The device is controlled by the rider's feet on built-in gyroscopic, sensored platforms. The board first debuted in China, but became popular in the United States after numerous celebrity appearances with the device in 2015. There is no universally accepted name for the device, as its various product names are attributable to the companies which distribute it, not its Chinese manufacturers.
The board is a Chinese invention but the fast pace of the Chinese manufacturing industry makes it difficult to pinpoint which company was the first to manufacture the device. According to Wired's David Pierce, the device was likely invented as the "Smart S1" by Chic Robotics, a Chinese technology company associated with Zhejiang University, founded in 2013. The company released the Smart S1, in August 2014, and the device was a huge success at the 2014 Canton Fair trade show. Chic Robotic patented technologies associated with the board, but due to China's lax patent enforcement, the product was illicitly copied by several Chinese manufacturers.
As of June 2015, the board is made by about five copycat manufacturers in China – a pattern common in the country's technology and industrial sector. The copies vary greatly in price and quality, and may exhibit various defects. Some newer boards have incorporated Bluetooth speakers, allowing the driver to play music from speakers underneath the board. The founders of PhunkeeTree first encountered the board at the Hong Kong Electronics Show, in 2014. The company gave one board to Kendall Jenner, who posted a video of her riding the board on Instagram. The video became a viral hit on social media, which led to other celebrities asking PhunkeeTree for free samples.
The device's increasing popularity in Western countries has been attributed, in part, to celebrities being recorded riding, performing on or amusingly falling off it. These include the entertainment figures Justin Bieber, Jamie Foxx, Kendall Jenner, Chris Brown, Soulja Boy and Wiz Khalifa among others.
The SEGWAY PT is a two-wheeled, self-balancing, battery-powered electric vehicle invented by Dean Kamen. It is produced by Segway Inc. of New Hampshire. The name Segway is derived from the word segue, meaning smooth transition. PT is an abbreviation for personal transporter.
Computers, sensors, and electric motors in the base of the Segway PT keep the device upright when powered on with balancing enabled. The rider commands the PT to go forward or backward by shifting their weight forward or backward on the platform. The PT uses gyroscopic sensors and accelerometer-based leveling sensors to detect the resulting changes in its pitch angle and, to maintain balance, it drives its wheels forward or backward as needed to return its pitch to upright. In the process, the rider establishes and then maintains a desired speed by modulating the extent and duration of their fore/aft weight shifts. To turn and steer, the rider shifts the handlebar to the left or right. The PT responds by adjusting the speeds of the wheels in opposite directions causing the PT to yaw and, if not traveling forward or backward, turn in place. At speed, the amount of shift of the handlebar corresponds to the amount of left or right lean required by the rider to balance themselves on the platform during a turn. Segway PTs can reach a speed of 12.5 miles per hour (20.1 km/h).
Hoverboard, Scooters Skateboard & Segway News, Reviews & Resources
- 7 Best Electric Scooters 2020, According to Experts - The Strategist | New York Magazine.
- 7 MOST COMMON SPORTS INJURIES [INFOGRAPHIC] - Skateboard-Guide.com.
- A man just smashed a world record with a jet-powered hoverboard - The Verge.
- A Weird New Segway Is Finally Making Hoverboards Legit - Wired.
- Are Electric Scooters the Future? How Do They Actually Work? - IQS Directory.
- Barbie trades in her pink convertible for a hoverboard drone - The Verge
- best electric bikes, scooters & skateboards to use at school - "Get around campus in style with these personal EVs."
- Best hoverboards of 2020 - Tech Advisor.
- Best Electric Hoverboard 2019 - "Self Balancing Scooter Buying Guide – Best Hoverboard on the Market."
- BEST ELECTRIC SKATEBOARDs of 2018 - "It’s Boosted vs. the world."
- best personal EVs for any commute 2019 - "Walking is so 2018."
- BOOSTED BOARD STEALTH REVIEW: SPEED RACER - The Verge.
- BOOSTED’S FIRST ELECTRIC SCOOTER IS A $1,599 VEHICLE BUILT TO CONQUER CITY STREETS - "The electric skateboard company finally branches out into a new form factor."
- Brazilian skateboarder lands historic move - "Skateboarder Gui Khury, 11, lands historic 1080-degree turn."
- Copenhagen police crack down on drunk and stoned scootering - "Twenty-eight arrested for riding electric scooters after using alcohol or cannabis."
- Electric Scooter Reviews - "Hoverboard and Scooter Reviews."
- ELECTRIC SKATEBOARD TRYING TO DETHRONE BOOSTED - "Riding 27 mph downhill on a Dot electric skateboard. It was as terrifying as it sounds."
- Franky Zapata crosses Channel by hoverboard at second attempt - "French inventor flies from northern France to Dover on jet-powered ‘Flyboard’."
- Google Maps can find you Lime scooters in more than 80 cities - "You’ll be able to scoot or bike to your final destination."
- Here’s what the inside of a hoverboard looks like - The Verge.
- Holograms to hoverboards: Sci-fi tech that is now real - The Telegraph.
- Hoverboard - Wikipedia.
- Hoverboard Safety Fears Grow as Problems Mount - The New York Times.
- How Bird plans to spread its electric scooters all over the world - "For better or worse, scooters are now a global business."
- ‘I’m way older, but I’m still doing it’: Tony Hawk on his skateboarding legacy - "He’s the record-breaking skateboarder who took the sport mainstream. Here he reflects on how the sport has changed, and how he feels knowing he may never do a 720 again."
- Invasion of the electric scooter: can our cities cope? - "They’re cheaper than cabs, less effort than a bike and more convenient than buses. But as the number of e-scooter accidents rises, a backlash is growing."
- Jet-powered flyboard soars over Paris for Bastille Day parade - "President Macron uses France’s national day to celebrate European defence cooperation."
- Laws Struggle to Keep Up as Hoverboards’ Popularity Soars - The New York Times.
- Lime's Gen 3 scooter is built to survive rider abuse - "It touts a more durable design and a longer-ranged battery."
- Lockdown spurs 11-year-old skateboarder to make history with first 1080-degree turn - "Gui Khury lands holy grail of skating while in lockdown. Brazilian surpasses previous record first set by Tony Hawk."
- Major Brands - Wikipedia.
- Mark Cuban's hoverboard will hit Kickstarter in April - The Verge.
- MELLOW MAKES ALMOST ANY SKATEBOARD ELECTRIC The Verge.
- More than 500,000 hoverboards are being recalled - The Verge.
- original hoverboard maker is back with another weird self-balancing scooter - The Verge
- Riding the Hendo Hoverboard 2.0 Is Like Levitating the Gnar - Wired.
- Segway, personal vehicle known for high-profile crashes, ending production - "Company will retire Segway PT, popular with tourists and police officers, on 15 July."
- SEGWAY Polo - Wikipedia.
- SEGWAY PT - Wikipedia.
- Segway’s Loomo bot drives like a hoverboard & follows like a puppy - The Verge.
- Segway's new e-skates are probably a terrible idea - engadget.
- Segway’s New ‘Hoverboard’ Is Actually Kinda Cool - Wired.
- Self-balancing two-wheeled board - Wikipedia.
- Skateboard - Wikipedia.
- Skateboarding - action sport which involves riding and performing tricks using a skateboard, as well as a recreational activity, an art form, a entertainment industry job, and a method of transportation.
- The rise of the skateboard - "How photographers have captured skateboarding through generations."
- The Segway is officially over - "The Segway PT, which earned a place in pop culture but never realized its creators' world-changing ambitions, will come to an end this summer."
- The Weird Origin Story of the Viral, Dangerous Hoverboard - Wired.
- Top 10 Best Hoverboards In 2015 - Top10TheBest.
- Top 10 Best Hoverboards In 2015 Reviews - Top10BestPro.
- Uber may acquire Bird or Lime to accelerate its scooter plans - "It doesn't believe that buying Jump was enough to foster its efforts."
- Unagi's high-end electric scooter is a mix of design & power - "But is it enough to get over your 'scooter shame'?"
- Welcome, watch or ban: how should cities deal with electric scooters? - "The ‘arrive first, ask later’ tactics of scooter hire companies has riled cities around the world – but the tech bros seem to be learning a lesson."
- Which hoverboard should I buy? - "Hoverboard buying advice: what to consider when buying a 'swegway', Plus dangers regarding Chinese hoverboards."
- BMW CITY SCOOTER - since 1916. "Dynamic BMW City Scooter with handy folding mechanism, splash protection and kick stand for convenient parking. With lower-lying running board and big wheels for quiet running as well as height-adjustable handlebar for ergonomic position. Can also be used comfortably and fast on longer routes. The folding and locking mechanism is triple-secured."
- Boosted Rev - since 2011. "Your vehicle-grade scooter is here." Range: Go up to 22 miles on a single charge. Top Speed: Get there faster with a 24 mph top speed. Brakes: 3 reliable ways to brake, including a regenerative electric brake.
- Glion Scooter - since 2017. "End Boring Commutes!"
- Gotrax GXL Folding Electric Scooter - since 2017. "The Ultimate Commuting E Scooter." Say hello to the future of commuting! Featuring 8.5-inch air-filled tires that easily ride over bumps and cracks in your city streets and sidewalks. The GXL is our most powerful scooter yet with a boosted 250-watt motor and a 36v battery, speeding it up to 15.5 mph for a distance of up to 9-12 miles. The reinforced frame allows it to support riders up to 220 lbs.
- Ninebot by Segway - since 1999. "Incomparable performance."
- Qiewa Scooters - since 2017. "Creating the most powerful electric scooters."
- Razor Power Core E90 Electric Scooter - since 2000. "Keep the good times rolling even longer. And by longer, we mean up to 75% more battery life than the other guys - what? With 70 minutes of extended drive time - your freedom radius just expanded."
- Swagtron - since 2015. "#RideBeyond." Electric Scooters.
- Unagi Scooters - since 2018. "Freedom of Movement." Freedom of movement means living more life. That's the idea, and the mission behind everything we do. The portable electric scooter with impeccable design and incredible durability. Unagi is revolutionizing human transport.
- Xiaomi M365 Folding Electric Scooter - E-ABS Technology / Kinetic Energy Recovery System / Cruise Control Function / Intelligent BMS.
- Acton Blink S - "Disconnect from the virtual world with 7 miles of uninterrupted freedom."
- Boosted Boards - since 2011. "The Next Generation of Boosted Boards." Boosted is on a mission to make cities feel smaller, campuses more accessible, and commutes enjoyable. Our boards are designed and built to handle the rigors of daily use while offering an exhilarating ride with unparalleled power and control. Whether you are an experienced rider or a complete newbie, learning to ride a Boosted board is simple, intuitive, and just straight-up fun.
- Inboard Technology - since 2015. "Inboard Technology is changing last mile transportation, starting with the Inboard M1 electric skateboard."
- Mellow Drive - "The Mellow Drive 2018 comes with everything you need to convert an existing skateboard or longboard into an electric skateboard. Simply remove your back truck and replace it with the Mellow Drive."
- Swagtron - since 2015. "#RideBeyond." Kid Friendly Electric Skateboards.
Best High-End Hoverboards
- Arca Board - "Revolution in Motion." Experience what you've always dreamed of. Ride across any terrain or water with the vehicle that was virtually impossible, until today. Do what you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. Each time you ride the ArcaBoard you will find yourself at the center of a new exhilarating experience.
- Bluefin - since 2013. "The 6.5? Classic is the most popular model in the Bluefin Swegway range. It is the ultimate all-round board available on the market and suitable for all ages, from 8 years old through to adults."
- Hoverboard - "The only UK company to provide UL certified Hoverboards. Designed with Samsung or LG batteries." All models.
- IO HAWK - "Intelligent Personal Mobility Devices."
- Onewheel - since 2013. "Motorized Euphoria."
- PhunkeeDuck - "#1 Best Invention of 2015."
- Razor Hovertrax 2.0 - "Nirvana on wheels."
- Smart Hoverboards - "As a professional & stable hoverboard manufacturer and supplier, the hoverboards that we sell are of a solid construction, made with high quality components and use a stable UL Certified Samsung battery, All of which ensure you get the best quality hoverboard for a competitive price. All hoverboards come with Remote or App, Bluetooth, Speakers and Bag."
- Swagtron - since 2015. "#RideBeyond." Hoverboards, Scooters & Skateboards.
- Swegway-Pro - "The Original Swegway Hoverboard Shop."
Miscellaneous Personal Transporters
- Ninebot - "Fancy a Smarter Commute? Choose Ninebot." Ninebot is the leader in the 21st Century’s new hype of Personal Transportation. It’s battery-powered emission-free engine combined with the latest Bluetooth connection technology makes you feel connected in every way. A fusion of sophisticated software and several highly mechanical components, Ninebot boasts a simple, intuitive riding experience!
- Xiaomi N4M340 Ninebot Plus Electric Self Balancing Scooter - 11-inch with Wear-resistant Dual Wheels.
- SEGWAY - since 2001. "Personal Transportation That Simply Moves You."
- Ninebot by Segway - "Incomparable performance."
- SEGWAY Consumer models - "Fun and Fashionable"
- SEGWAY Drift W1 - "The Segway Drift W1 e-Skates are lightweight, portable and extremely unique. Designed for maximum comfort and fun the Drift W1 is the perfect product to usher in a new type of personal transportation."
- SEGWAY Professional models - "Be More Productive Than Ever - Indoors and Out."
- SEGWAY Public Safety models - "Designed For Smarter Patrolling."
- SEGWAY Robotics models - "Advanced Robotic, Simplified." Commercial & Consumer Robotics.