Top 25 High-End Luxury Trimmings Brands & Suppliers
Trim or TRIMMING in clothing and home decorating is applied ornament, such as gimp, passementerie, ribbon, ruffles, or, as a verb, to apply such ornament.
Before the industrial revolution, all trim was made and applied by hand, thus making heavily trimmed furnishings and garments expensive and high-status. Machine-woven trims and sewing machines put these dense trimmings within the reach of even modest dressmakers and home sewers, and an abundance of trimming is a characteristic of mid-Victorian fashion. As a predictable reaction, high fashion came to emphasize exquisiteness of cut and construction over denseness of trimming, and applied trim became a signifier of mass-produced clothing by the 1930s. The iconic braid and gold button trim of the Chanel suit are a notable survival of trim in high fashion.
Passementerie or passementarie is the art of making elaborate trimmings or edgings (in French, passements) of applied braid, gold or silver cord, embroidery, colored silk, or beads for clothing or furnishings.
Styles of passementerie include the tassel, fringes (applied, as opposed to integral), ornamental cords, galloons, pompons, rosettes, and gimps as other forms. Tassels, pompons, and rosettes are point ornaments, and the others are linear ornaments.
- Brunschwig & Fils - since 1900. "From grand rooms in the White House and the Palace of Versailles to romantic country retreats in cottages and seaside homes, Brunschwig & Fils fabrics, wallcoverings and furnishings have appeared for more than a century in the world’s most beautiful and iconic interiors."
- Clarence House - since 1961. Trimmings.
- Colefax and Fowler - since 1933. "Renowned for its classic English appeal, Colefax and Fowler fabrics and wallpapers have an elegance and subtlety that is admired the world over." Colefax design library.
- Designers Guild - since 1970. "Discover our collection of Trimmings & Tiebacks."
- Duralee - since 1952. "Luxury Tassels, Tapes & Trimmings."
- Fabricut - since 1954. "Shop our trimmings to find the perfect finishing touch for your projects."
- Fortvny - since 1919. "The collection of tassels by Fortuny is handmade in Venice with a careful selection of top quality materials."
- Franklin Mill Store - since 1946. "Ribbons and Trimmings for Home Decorating."
- Gammarelli - since 1798. "Narrow Braids, Braids and Fringes."
- Gerster collection - since 1882. "High end trimming collections." Gerster trimmings represent an outstanding combination of classical elegance, country house style and fashionable decorative textiles.
- Harlequin - "Arabella Trimmings Barletta Peony and Laps by Harlequin." Specially designed and coloured to complement the extensive range of Harlequin fabrics, Arabella Trimmings will give added glamour and luxury to curtains, blinds, upholstery, cushions and accessories.
- Holland & Sherry - since 1836. Trim.
- Joel & Son Fabrics - since 1979. "Specialists in Haute Couture Fabrics." Fabric trimming, or trims, are applied as finishing touches to clothing for an extra touch of individuality. Our online trimming collection consists of over 100 different trims and growings, but we have even more in-store, so please call us if you can’t find exactly what you’re after!
- Nada Designs - since 2012. "Unique, Bespoke, Handmade trimmings." Nada Designs offers a unique bespoke service for all your trimming requirements. Our 100% hand made products are individually made using rare and traditional methods. All trimmings are produced using the finest yarns of Egyptian cotton and silk. We also have a bespoke linen embroidery service, with the highest thread counts on the market, 100% cotton.
- Nicholas Haslam - since 1980. "Passementerie." We offer a carefully selected collection of high-end decorative trimmings and edgings that will suit all interior requirements.
- NINA CAMPBELL - since 1974. Please limit your sample selection to a maximum of 10.
- Osborne & Little - since 1968. "Designer Trimmings." View our latest collections of designer trimmings, perfectly designed to complement our fabric ranges, and suitable for any interior.
- Robert Allen - since 1938. "Luxury Tassels, Tapes & Trimmings."
- Sanderson - since 1860. "Drop Bead Fringe Indigo/Linen Trimmings." Trimmings are presented in 17 colour sets including linen, duck egg, charcoal and plum, all designed to complement Sanderson’s collections of weaves and prints. The comprehensive choice of trimmings will enhance and embellish upholstery, curtains and other soft furnishings.
- S. Harris - since 1906. Trimmings.
- Stroheim - since 1865. Breathtaking range of fabrics, trimmings and wallcoverings, Stroheim enhances interiors created by designers domestically and abroad.
- The Lining Company - since 1953. "The Lining Company, take pride in being one of the leading suppliers of top quality Linings and Trimmings."
- Timothy Corrigan - "Founded in 1997, Timothy Corrigan Inc. is considered one of the leading interior design firms in the world. We are known for creating timeless and comfortably elegant interiors. With offices in Los Angeles and Paris, our firm has completed projects around the world." Inspired by 18th century documentary trimmings, Timothy Corrigan's Chevallerie collection for Samuel & Sons, portrays exquisite complexity and craftsmanship, successfully marrying European grandeur with a modern aesthetic.
- Trend - since 2006. Trimmings.
- V V Rouleaux - since 1990. "V V Rouleaux quickly became the destination for designers and decorators, lovers of colour, and texture and anyone looking for inspiration! We now supply over 5000 luxury ribbons, tassels, braids, flowers, feathers, cords, and other trimmings in 100 colours."
- Vervain - since 1865. Trimmings.
- Watts of Westminster - since 1836. "Handmade and Bespoke." Gimps, Galloons, Satinings, Spangles, Soutaches and limace de spirals might sound like the names of fairy-tale hobgoblins and wood sprites, but they are actually part of the evocative etymology of Passementerie. Watts beautiful tassels and trims continue to be handmade using the same ancient traditions. With a resurgent desire in the interior world to embellish, use colour, and embrace pattern, passementerie is the perfect choice to fill a room with delight.
- Zoffany - since 1983. "Walling Braid Silver Trimmings." An elegant grosgrain walling braid with double metallic stitching running along both edges, augmented with a dainty loop feature along the top.