World's Top 10 Best High-End Luxury Aquavit Brands
Akvavit or AQUAVIT is a flavoured spirit that is principally produced in Scandinavia, where it has been produced since the 15th century. Akvavit gets its distinctive flavour from spices and herbs, and the main spice should (according to the European Union) be caraway or dill. It typically contains 40% alcohol by volume. The EU has established a minimum of 37.5% ABV for akvavit to be named as such.
Aquavit News, Reviews & Resources
- 10 Fascinating Things You Didnít Know About Aquavit - Liquor.com.
- AKVAVIT - or aquavit. A flavoured spirit that is principally produced in Scandinavia, where it has been produced since the 15th century.
- BrÄnnvin - the Swedish version of the general Scandinavian term for liquor distilled from potatoes, grain, or (formerly) wood cellulose; both of flavored and unflavored variants. The term includes vodka and akvavit, but akvavit is always flavored.
- get into the Scandinavian spirit with aquavit - The Telegraph.
- LIST OF AKVAVIT PRODUCERS - Wikipedia.
- Norway's Linie Aquavit - Reviewed by the Foodist.
- snaps - Swedish and Danish word for a small shot of a strong alcoholic beverage taken during the course of a meal. A ritual that is associated with drinking snaps is a tradition in Scandinavia, especially in Sweden and Denmark, where it is very common to drink snaps at holidays such as Midsummer, Christmas and Easter.
- Tasting notes: Aalborg Akvavit - wine-searcher.
- world of aquavit - "Buy Scandinavian Aquavit Online."
Top 10 High-End Aquavit Brands
- AALBORG EXPORT AKVAVIT - launched in 1913. "The classic Danish akvavit, Aalborg Export was first created in 1913 and intended, as the name suggests, for the export market. A lighter style of Akvavait, the Danes often now enjoy this themselves with lunch."
- AALBORG JUBILÆUMS AKVAVIT - launched in 1946. "Aalborg Jubilæums, jubilæums meaning 'jubilee', was created in honour of Isidor Henius, the creator of Aalborg Taffel Akvavit. This akvavit is said to be an excellent accompaniment to a fish or poultry meal."
- AALBORG NORDGULD - launched in 2007. "An indulgent Danish treat, Aalborg Nordguld Aquavit is distilled using a very special ingredient - amber. Not only that, it was also aged in ex-Sherry casks to add further depth and complexity to the drink. Quite possibly the first Aquavit to be made with fossilised tree resin, Aalborg Nordguld is an intrinsically interesting spirit."
- AALBORG PORSE SNAPS - launched in 1965. "A bottle of Aalborg Porse Snaps, a Danish treat flavoured not with caraway or fennel like other aquavit. No, Porse Snaps is flavoured with the Porse plant, known as the Myrica Gale in other parts of the world."
- AALBORG TAFFEL AKVAVIT - launched in 1846."Original Danish caraway-flavoured Taffel Akvavit - an institution in its home country since the 19th century." Very pure caraway bouquet which is only supported by a slight hint of orange.
- BOMMERLUNDER - since 1760. "For over 200 years Bommerlunder has satisfied discriminating tastes in many countries. Distilling expertise, a special blend of selected herbs and its ideal maturity are the characteristics of this internationally acclaimed brand. Bommerlunder is aged in oak casks which guarantee the subtle, distinctive flavour, the high quality and the fine taste. Served ice cold and neat, Bommerlunderís aromatic bouquet is the perfect last touch to a good meal and an inspiring basis for many interesting drinks." One of the most important German brands of aquavit.
- BRØNDUMS SNAPS - since 1840. "Brøndum Snaps is a traditional aquavit, whose roots date back to 1840, when snaps distiller Anthon Brøndum took over his fatherís distilleries and hereafter started on his own in Copenhagen. Distilled according to the oldest Kryddersnaps recipe, with the well-rounded and rich flavour of Nordic caraway. Seasoning with Sherry and raw malt gives the taste extra body and complexity." The most neutral caraway snaps in the AALBORG family.
- Harald Jensen Akvavit - since 1863. "It is distilled on cumin seeds and added distillate of i.a. aniseed, galanga root, ginger, allspice and Roman chamomile. The taste is nuanced with a clear hint of cumin and hints of dried spices and licorice."
- LINIE AQUAVIT - since 1821. "Norwegian Cask Matured Aquavit." Produced in Norway from potatoes. Traditionally flavored with caraway and herbs. Has been carried in oak casks onboard ships crossing the equator (linie) twice before being sold.
- MALTESERKREUZ AQUAVIT - "The original Danish recipe is unchanged since 1924. Back then as well as today, the secret of this elegant spirit is based on exclusively using extra fine filtered alcohol and specially selected spices. In particular, caraway and dill are responsible for its extraordinary taste."
- Norkap Akvavit - "Norkap Akvavit is a unique spirit with a truly Nordic character. The taste is mild, round and fragrant making it the perfect match with classic Nordic food. Angelica (kvan) is one of the oldest herbs used in the Nordic region. Common in nature from north to south and grown by man since the Viking era. For centuries it has been used for flavouring spirits. Its delicate sweetness and spice adds a traditional taste element to Norkap Akvavit. Sea buckthorn (havtorn/tindved) came to the Nordic tundra with the reindeer thousands of years ago and can now be found along the coastlines throughout the region. Its characteristic fresh and fragrant citrus aroma gives Norkap Akvavit a unique and refined freshness and a bright golden color. Læsø Sydesalt is produced using ancient techniques to extract salt from Kattegat, the sea shared by the Nordics. Læsø Sydesalt adds a salty touch of the sea and gives a more full bodied taste experience. It marries all the elements in a unique akvavit based on the distinct flavours and culinary heritage of the Nordic region."
- O.P. ANDERSON Original AQUAVIT - since 1891. This organic Swedish aquavit is made from caraway, anise and fennel suiting savory dishes. Spicy and round and complex Aquavit character from caraway with notes of anise and licorice. O.P. Anderson Aquavit has won numerous awards as well as several gold medals in the prestigious International Wine and Spirits Competition. Currently the only Swedish Aquavit being imported in the U.S.
- SkÅne Akvavit - Skåne Akvavit is the second most popular aquavit in Sweden, right after O.P. Anderson. Skåne Akvavit is made at the O.P. Anderson Distillery in Sundsvall, Sweden. The spice distillates are aged six months in oak barrels before bottling. Mild spicy taste with cumin and anise and fennel. Pure scent. light yellow color. The little brother of O.P. Anderson was launched in 1931.