Top 5 High-End Snowmobiles Brands & Manufacturers
A SNOWMOBILE, also known as a sled or a snowmachine, is a land vehicle designed for winter travel on snow. It is designed to be operated on snow and ice. Snowmobiles do not require a specific road or trail. Variations of the snowmobile enable some machines to operate in deep snow or forests; however most are used on open terrain, including frozen lakes, or driven on paths or trails. Snowmobiles are usually designed to accommodate two people, similarly to a motorcycle or an all-terrain vehicle (ATVs) with the exception of snowmobiles designed for mountain riding/deep snow travel which typically have a smaller seat for one person. They do not have any enclosures, except for a windshield, and their engine normally drives a continuous track or tracks at the rear. Skis at the front provide directional control.
Early snowmobiles used rubber tracks, but modern snowmobiles typically have tracks made of a Kevlar composite. Originally, snowmobiles were typically powered by two-stroke gasoline internal combustion engines. Four-stroke engines are becoming more and more common in snowmobiles, primarily to address environmental complaints.
Snowmobiles were originally intended as a winter utility vehicle that could be used where motor vehicles could not go. They appealed to hunters and workers transporting personnel and material across snow-covered land, frozen lakes and rivers. Since the latter part of the 20th century, they have been put to use for recreational purposes as well. People who ride them are commonly known as snowmobilers. The contemporary types of recreational riding forms are known as snowcross/racing, trail riding, freestyle, mountain climbing, boondocking, carving, ditchbanging and grass drags. Summertime activities for snowmobile enthusiasts include drag racing on grass, asphalt strips, or even across water.
Snowmobile News, Reviews & Resources
- A missing teen snowmobiler built a snow cave to survive until rescuers arrived - "A 17-year-old in British Columbia, who has not been named, built himself a snow cave the backcountry to shelter in after being separated from his group, according to South Cariboo Search and Rescue."
- BRP - since 1942. "World leader in the design, manufacturing, distribution, and marketing of motorized recreational vehicles and powersports engines." Its portfolio includes Ski-Doo and Lynx snowmobiles, Sea-Doo watercraft, Can-Am on- and off-road vehicles, Evinrude and Rotax marine propulsion systems as well as Rotax engines for karts, motorcycles and recreational aircraft.
- Polaris & Zero team up to build battery-powered snowmobiles - "The 10-year deal will see Polaris' whole lineup get electrified."
- Snow coach - specialized passenger transport vehicle, designed to operate over snow or ice, similar to a large, multi-passenger snowcat that is equipped with bus style seating.
- SNOWMOBILE - Wikipedia.
- SNOWMOBILE Reviews - "Videos, Pictures and Reviews of the latest Snowmobiles."
- Snowmobile skipping - Wikipedia.
- SNOWMOBILE.COM - since 1999. "Everything Snowmobile." The definitive information resource for snowmobile enthusiasts around the world. It is home to reviews and performance tests, giving consumers all the information they need on the latest machines, parts, and accessories.
- THE HISTORY OF MOTO SKI - David's Vintage Snowmobile Page.
- The Tesla Effect: Snowmobiles, Boats & Mowers Go Electric - "Theyíre quieter and better for the climate. But snow and water create new technological challenges for designers."
- Top 10 Snowmobiles For 2021 - SnowGoer.
Top 5 High-End Snowmobile Brands & Manufacturers
- ARCTIC CAT - since 1960. "The Wide World of Arctic Cat." Whether youíre carving a side hill, blasting through the backcountry, ditch banging with your buddies or touring on a Sunday afternoon, we have the snowmobile for you. Welcome to a world without fences, and a mindset without limits.
- LYNX - since 1967. "The wait is over. Lynx lineup 2022 is here. We are Nordic Snow Junkies. Europe's #1 snowmobile brand." All our work aims for one goal: to produce Lynx sleds that you can rely on in all conditions and under all circumstances. Lynx sleds are manufactured and tested by BRP on the Arctic Circle, Rovaniemi, Finland.
- POLARIS - since 1954. "Introducing the 2022 Polaris Snowmobile Lineup. We made it, so you can LIVE IT." Snowmobiling is anticipation. Tweaking gear. Planning rides. Sharing moments. There is no off-season. Once you get out there on a Polaris it gets into you. Thatís why weíve never stopped pioneering breakthroughs and enhancing the snowmobile experience, helmets on or off. Itís what Polaris riders live for. Every sled that rolls out of Roseau, Minnesota is built on a simple premise: our sleds are engineered to be the best.
- SKI-DOO - since 1959. "2022 Ski-Doo Snowmobile Lineup. Discover the Ultimate Mountain Sled." There's a Ski-Doo for every ride. Discover your perfect ride. This is the official page for Ski-Doo sleds by BRP, the number one brand of snowmobiles in the world. While technology has changed incredibly since we manufactured the snowmobile more than 50 years ago one thing hasnít Ė our passion. Itís what drives us to keep pushing the sport forward year after year. To deliver better rides and better riders.
- YAMAHA - since 1973. "Hello freedom. Family Friendly." Our 2022 Snowmobile Lineup. For Every Rider. Yamaha was the first brand to win with a 4-stroke in a professional snowcross race in 2006. Crossover, Mountain & Trail Snowmobiles.