World’s 10 Most Beautiful Metro and Subway Stations
A METRO STATION or SUBWAY STATION is a railway station for a rapid transit system, which as a whole is usually called a Metro or Subway. The station provides a means for passengers to purchase tickets, access trains stopping at its platforms and evacuate the system in the case of an emergency.
Metro & Subway Station News, Reviews & Resources
- $3bn subway station - and other urban white elephants - The Guardian.
- 5 ways to improve your commute - "Talk to people, plan for disruption, walk if you can ... Follow these tips to make your journey as painless as possible."
- 6 of the most spectacular Paris MÉtro stations - "Grand designs will feature in a major expansion of the Paris Métro, but there is plenty of theatricality, beauty and swagger on show at existing stations."
- 10 World’s Most Beautiful Subway Stations - "Whether you are coming or leaving, this are the most important places in the city. They usually breath life and don’t really ever stop."
- A megalopolis of engineering: the verdict on London’s £18bn new Elizabeth line - "From Brexit and Covid to the war in Ukraine, the world has changed dramatically since work began on the Crossrail project. With its opening imminent, our architecture critic takes a ride."
- A tale of two metros: how the London tube beat the New York subway - "One recently won metro of the year; the other declared a state of emergency. How did two such similar transit systems end up on such different tracks?"
- Baffling View of London’s Tube Proves Transit Maps Are (Helpful) Lies - Wired.
- Copenhagen's new Metro is a thing of beauty - "New Metro is a thing of beauty."
- Elizabeth line: Crossrail complete after decades of struggle - a photo essay - "After years of knockbacks and fights over funding, this amazing feat of engineering is ready to open."
- Europe's 12 most impressive metro stations - CNN.
- Europe's coolest metro line is upside down - "Unlike boring ordinary train lines that stay determinedly fixed to terra firma, suspension railways dangle beneath a track suspended from pylons. Their carriages swoosh over roads, rivers and other obstructions, while passengers get to enjoy the view. Today, the only suspension railways in operation are to be found in Japan and Germany. And it's in Germany that the original, and still very much the best, can still be found still going strong in all its steampunk glory - the Wuppertal Schwebebahn."
- How many of these 17 infuriating Tube habits are you guilty of? - The Telegraph.
- How train tunnels beneath Amsterdam revealed a medieval treasure trove - "Building Amsterdam’s North-South metro line was big trouble – a budget-blowing 15-year operation that involved carefully burrowing beneath the foundations of centuries-old architecture."
- In London, a Long-Awaited High-Tech Train Is Ready to Roll - "The Elizabeth line, 13 years in the making, will soon uncoil under central London with cathedral-like stations and roomy cars. Its managers say it’s a testament to the power of public transportation."
- Inside a secret Soviet metro - "Last summer, for the first time ever, Uzbekistan began allowing photography in its opulent metro, which has been described as one of the most ornate in the world."
- LONDON UNDERGROUND - Transport for London home page.
- London Underground celebrates 150 years - Telegraph.co.uk.
- London’s New Subway Symbolized the Future. Then Came Brexit - The New York Times.
- London’s railway of the future is finally here - "Crossrail is one of Europe’s biggest modern infrastructure projects."
- METRO BITS - a database, a virtual grid of thousands of chunks of data. Compare the world's currently 176 subways in respect of various topics.
- Metro station - Wikipedia.
- Mind the gap - is an audible or visual warning phrase issued to rail passengers to take caution while crossing the horizontal, and in some cases vertical, spatial gap between the train door and the station platform.
- Moscow metro hires first female train drivers in modern history - "Role of train operator removed from government’s register of jobs deemed harmful to women’s health."
- One of the world's most congested cities just opened its first metro line - "Bangladesh on Wednesday launched its first metro rail service in the capital Dhaka, with officials and commuters hopeful it will help ease traffic in one of the world's most densely populated and congested cities."
- Plastic waste: Rome metro offers tickets for trash - "Rome's waste bins are overflowing - but now metro users can swap empty bottles for tickets."
- Race the tube - BBC News.
- RAPID TRANSIT - Wikipedia.
- SUBWAY ARCHITECTURE - Designboom.
- The 25 Most Beautiful Metro Station in the World - Complex Art + Design.
- The Most Expensive Mile of Subway Track on Earth - "How excessive staffing, little competition, generous contracts and
archaic rules dramatically inflate capital costs for transit in New York."
- The most impressive underground railway stations in Europe - Telegraph Travel.
- What's in a name? Berlin wrestles with past in metro station row - "Transit authority to rename slavery-linked Mohrenstrasse after an antisemitic Russian composer."
- WORLD METRO DATABASE - list of the world's 176 urban transportation systems (usually called metro, subway, underground railway, or rapid transit).
- World's most beautiful metro? - "Underground design: A journey through the Moscow Metro."
- World's Most Beautiful Subway Stations - Travel + Leisure.
Top 10 Most Beautiful Metro & Subway Stations