Top 10 High-End Cigarette Brands, Makers & Suppliers
A CIGARETTE is a narrow cylinder containing a combustible material, typically tobacco, that is rolled into thin paper for smoking. The cigarette is ignited at one end, causing it to smolder; the resulting smoke is orally inhaled via the opposite end. Cigarette smoking is the most common method of tobacco consumption. The term cigarette, as commonly used, refers to a tobacco cigarette, but the word is sometimes used to refer to other substances, such as a cannabis cigarette or an herbal cigarette. A cigarette is distinguished from a cigar by its usually smaller size, use of processed leaf, and paper wrapping, which is typically white. Since the 1920s, cigarettes have been a major source of advertising revenue for the media, of traffic for small stores, and of tax revenue for governments.
Since the 1920s, scientists and doctors have been able to link smoking with respiratory illness. Researchers have identified negative and irreversible health effects from smoking cigarettes such as cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), heart disease, faster or precocious ageing (of skin, cells, hair, including hair loss), reduced breathing capacity, damaged teeth and gums with persistent bad breath, lowering of IQ, and other health problems relating to nearly every organ of the body. Nicotine, the psychoactive drug in tobacco, makes cigarettes highly addictive. About half of cigarette smokers die of tobacco-related disease and lose on average 14 years of life. Every year, tobacco cigarettes kill more than 8 million people worldwide; with 1.2 million of those being non-smokers dying as the result of exposure to second-hand smoke.
Cigarette News, Reviews & Resources
- 21 unusual ways to quit smoking, from changing your teeth to taking more showers - "If patches, hypnosis and self-help books don’t work, maybe it’s time to think laterally. Readers reveal the unlikely methods that encouraged them to kick the habit."
- Berluti - Paris since 1895. "Alligator Leather Cigarette Case."
- Chantix - Prescription medication used to treat nicotine addiction. It both reduces cravings for and decreases the pleasurable effects of cigarettes and other tobacco products.
- CIGARETTE - Wikipedia.
- Cigarette butts: how the no 1 most littered objects are choking our coasts - "An estimated 4.5tn tobacco filters are littered each year and many end up in oceans with deadly consequences."
- ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE - Wikipedia.
- Hawaii may increase legal smoking age to 100 - "Hawaii could raise the legal smoking age to 100, effectively banning cigarettes for the vast majority of people in the state."
- How to quit smoking: 5 actions you can take now - "5 actions you can take now to end the addiction. Cigarette smoking is very addictive and can have long-term, adverse health effects. But there is hope for those who want to quit thanks to innovative apps, help lines and proven coping strategies."
- How YSL is promoting 'sophisticated' own-label cigarettes in Asia and Russia - Daily Mail.
- Morland & Co. - 83 Grosvenor Street / New Bond Street, London W1 (now defunct). Miss Cohen of Morland & Co. had a standing order to send Ian Fleming (the seventy-cigarettes-a-day man) 300 handmade cigarettes on Friday night each week at a price of 37s 6d per hundred (1963). The cigarettes themselves were of regular length, not kingsize, and unfiltered, naturally. The name Morland never appeared. Instead, they had a triple gold band at one end and, along the edge, in tiny capitals, the word 'HANDMADE'. Each box contained a slip of paper which read: "These cigarettes are made of the most choice and perfectly blended tobaccos, the dormant fragrance of which is preserved in our careful process of manufacture. Each cigarette is made by hand, one by one, and tobacco dust, so harmful to the throat is entirely eliminated."
- Most Americans, Including Smokers, Like the Idea of Less-Addictive Cigarettes - TIME Magazine.
- NOTABLE CIGARETTE BRANDS - Wikipedia.
- Smokers fume as France mulls ban on 'too cool' Gitanes and Gauloises - The Guardian.
- Smoking Fewer Than 5 Cigarettes a Day Damages Your Lungs Almost as Much as Smoking a Whole Pack, Study Says - TIME Magazine.
- Tobacco giant Philip Morris is paying people £50 if they persuade a smoker to quit - "'We are absolutely serious – one day we want to stop selling cigarettes,' said Peter Nixon, managing director for Philip Morris UK and Ireland."
- Vintage gold cigarette cases - "Price guide & values." Find the worth of your vintage gold cigarette cases. Research our price guide with auction results on 103 items from $61 to $17666.
- We're quitting smoking, so why is big tobacco booming? - video - "Smoking rates are falling in the UK, US and much of Europe. Forty-five per cent of Brits smoked in the 60s and 70s, compared with just 15% today. You would think this was bad news for cigarette profits, but tobacco companies are making more money than ever. They claim they no longer market traditional cigarettes, but behind-the scenes tactics suggest otherwise. Leah Green explains how the most successful business enterprise in history has weathered its fall from grace."
- Why smokers & vapers - and those around them - may face higher Covid-19 danger - "New reports cast doubt on early claims smoking offered protection from disease."
- will legal marijuana be the next big tobacco? - The Guardian.
Top 10 Best High-End Cigarette Brands, Makers & Suppliers
- CAMEL CIGARETTES - since 1913. American brand of cigarettes, currently owned and manufactured by the R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in the United States and by Japan Tobacco outside the U.S. Most current Camel cigarettes contain a blend of Turkish tobacco and Virginia tobacco. Winston-Salem, North Carolina, the city where R. J. Reynolds was founded, is nicknamed "Camel City" because of the brand's popularity.
- Davidoff - "Early in the 20th century, Davidoff, a well-known brand of cigarettes, was established in Switzerland. The brand has grown incredibly popular among smokers all around the world over time. It distinguishes itself from other cigarette brands thanks to its superior quality and distinctive flavor. Zino Davidoff originally offered Davidoff cigarettes in 1936. The brand was initially promoted as a high-end consumer's exclusive luxury tobacco product. The founder's guiding principle was to produce an item of the greatest caliber that was also stylish and refined. As the brand gained recognition, celebrities and the wealthy began to use it as a status symbol."
- DUNHILL - British brand of cigarettes, owned and manufactured since 1999 by British American Tobacco.
- GAULOISES - since 1910. Brand of cigarette of French origin, now manufactured in Poland.
- GEORGE KARELIAS AND SONS - Established in 1888, Karelia is Greece’s largest cigarette manufacturer & exporter. "Superior Virgina Cigarettes."
- GITANES - since 1910. French brand of cigarettes, owned and manufactured by Imperial Tobacco following their acquisition of Altadis in January 2008.
- Nat Sherman Classic - since 1930. "The best 100% natural tobacco, meticulously crafted to provide a smooth and flavorful smoke."
- Sobranie - since 1879. Brand of cigarettes, currently owned and manufactured by Gallaher Group, a subsidiary of Japan Tobacco. Sobranie cigarettes were mainly sold in the United Kingdom until the introduction of plain packaging, but also were or still are sold in India, Germany, Bulgaria, France, Switzerland, Poland, Romania, Greece, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Singapore, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Serbia, North Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Malaysia, China, Taiwan, Montenegro and Japan as well as many duty free shops in airports.
- Vogue - since 1955. Brand of cigarette, currently owned and manufactured by British American Tobacco. Vogue is marketed primarily towards female customers as, "Female-branded packs are associated with a greater number of positive attributes including glamour, slimness and attractiveness. Furthermore, those looking at female-oriented cigarette packs branded with words such as “slim” and “vogue” are more likely to believe smoking helps people control their appetite compared with those viewing plain packaging."
- Yves Saint Laurent - "YSL Cigarettes are the most #Fashion Cigeretts in the world."