Top 30 Best-Selling e-Book Publishers and Suppliers
To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. - W. Somerset Maugham.
An electronic book (variously: E-BOOK, eBook, e-Book, ebook, digital book, or even e-edition) is a book-length publication in digital form, consisting of text, images, or both, readable on computers or other electronic devices. Although sometimes defined as "an electronic version of a printed book", many e-books exist without any printed equivalent. Commercially produced and sold e-books are usually intended to be read on dedicated e-book readers, however, almost any sophisticated electronic device that features a controllable viewing screen, including computers, many mobile phones, and all smartphones can also be used to read e-books.
e-Book Publisher News, Reviews & Resources
- 7 digital libraries you can visit from your couch - "Check this out: You can still celebrate National Library Week, which begins Sunday, at home. Here are seven digital libraries with specialized collections you can visit to honor the contributions of our nation's libraries and library workers."
- COMPARISON OF E-BOOK FORMATS - Wikipedia.
- Digital rights management (DRM) - set of access control technologies for restricting the use of proprietary hardware and copyrighted works.
- E-BOOK - Wikipedia.
- E-Book Sales Slip, and Print Is Far From Dead - The New York Times.
- Electronic publishing - Wikipedia.
- HOW TO ADD BIONIC FORMATTED BOOKS TO KINDLE - "Bionic reading is not yet built into the Kindle ecosystem. However, if you are excited about this revolutionary reading method, you can download bionic formatted books manually."
- How to download e-books from your local library - CNET.
- HOW TO GET FREE KINDLE BOOKS WITH YOUR LIBRARY CARD - Wired.
- How to get (great) free books on Kindle - "If you're looking for ways to get great books for your Kindle for free, we can help. But getting good books - no, great books for free is actually possible on a Kindle, and there are several ways to do it."
- Internet Archive - founded in 1996. "Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine."
- JD Salinger estate finally agrees to ebook editions - "Authorís son explains that wish for accessibility has persuaded trustees to look past his fatherís dislike of digital media."
- MICROSOFT'S EBOOK APOCALYPSE SHOWS THE DARK SIDE OF DRM - "A Costly Reminder That You Don't Own Those Ebooks."
- SPOTIFYíS LATEST PURCHASE IS ABOUT BECOMING THE PLACE YOU LISTEN TO EVERYTHING - "Why it bought an audiobook company."
- THE DIGITAL READER - "Read More, Carry Less." News, review, & opinion blog.
- The New York Public Library makes four banned books free nationwide on its e-reader app - "The books will be available via NYPLís 'Books For All' program for a month."
- 'They know us better than we know ourselves': how Amazon tracked my last two years of reading - "Amazon knows more than just what books Iíve read and when Ė it knows which parts of them I liked the most."
- You need to try Bionic Reading on the Amazon Kindle - "Bionic Reading revises texts so that the most concise parts of words are highlighted. This guides the eye over the text and the brain remembers previously learned words more quickly. The eye is guided through the text by means of typographic highlights."
Top 30 Best-Selling e-Book Publishers
- AMAZON.COM'S E-BOOK STORE - as of October 13, 2022: 100 results.
- BARNES & NOBLE - over 1 million titles!
- Belle Bridge Books - "Books for every reader's imagination."
- BOOKS-A-MILLION - eBooks, bestsellers, hard-to-find books.
- BOOKTRACK - "Soundtracks for Books." A new chapter in the evolution of storytelling, and an industry "first" in publishing, by creating synchronized soundtracks for e-books that dramatically boost the reader's imagination and engagement. Booktrack is already well on its way to creating a new genre of entertainment. Download Booktracks in the Apple App store for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- CLASSIC LITERATURE LIBRARY - free public domain ebooks and classic books.
- DAILYLIT - "DailyLit lets you read literary classics and great new fiction in short installments that you can pick up and put down anytime. Once youíve found a book, just select when you want your installments to arrive in your inbox."
- DE GRUYTER - the De Gruyter e-dition makes over 60,000 high-quality titles available from De Gruyterís more than 260-year publishing history.
- Forgotten Books - "Read free books online at Forgotten Books." 484,473 free books. Largest online eBooks library.
- FOYLES - range of more than 73,000 fiction and non-fiction eBooks
- GOOGLE E-BOOK STORE - "Buy anywhere, read anywhere." More than 3 million Google eBooks.
- Harlequin - "Entertain, enrich, inspire."
- IBOOKS - for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store.
- INDIEBOUND BOOKSTORE - offers more than 4 million eBook titles.
- Kensington - America's Independent Publisher."
- Kindle books at Amazon.com - as of October 13, 2022: 80,000+ results.
- Kindle Unlimited at Amazon.com - as of October 13, 2022: 50,000+ results.
- KOBO - "With Kobo, you can browse, search, buy and read your favorite eBooks on just about any device you choose - from select Smartphones, tablets, computers, eReaders and more."
- Ludvig Holbergís Writings - "Ludvig Holberg (1684Ė1754) is one of the main figures of the Scandinavian Enlightenment. His numerous and multifaceted writings occupy a central position in the literature of both Denmark and Norway. This is the first digital critical edition of Holbergís collected writings. The texts are fully searchable and equipped with commentaries, introductions, critical apparatus, and facsimiles."
- Metabook - "for iPad and iPhone." The new patent-pending digital publishing platform and reading experience for the 21st Century.
- Open Library - "Open Library is yours to borrow, read & browse." The World's classic literature at your fingertips. Over 1,000,000 free ebook titles available.
- Oyster - since 2012. "Oyster is simply the best way to read." Streaming service for digital ebooks, available for Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, and NOOK HD/HD+ devices. It is also available on any web browser on a desktop or laptop computer. Oyster holds over 1 million books in its library, and as of September 2015, the service is only available in the United States.
- PENGUIN EBOOKS - "Whether you're looking for something new, want to catch up on the latest bestsellers or just fancy browsing, we have something here for everyone."
- POTTERMORE - Harry Potter e-books.
- POWELL'S BOOKS
- PROJECT GUTENBERG - "Free ebooks." The first producer of free electronic books (eBooks). The place where you can download over 49,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device.
- Random House
- REFERENCE GLOBAL - Walter de Gruyter is among the first academic publishers in the world to provide electronic access to its journals, books, and databases on a single platform.
- scribd - since 2007. "Read Without Limits." Enjoy an unlimited number of books, audiobooks, magazines, and more. We're changing the way the world reads. Unlimited audiobooks, ebooks, and magazines, available on any device for only $8.99/month.
- SIMON & SCHUSTER
- SMASHWORDS - "Your ebook. Your way." "Smashwords is the world's largest distributor of indie ebooks. We make it fast, free and easy for any author or publisher, anywhere in the world, to publish and distribute ebooks to the major retailers."
- THE DIGITAL DEAD SEA SCROLLS - in partnership with Google.
- THE ONLINE BOOKS PROJECT - "Listing over 1 million free books on the Web."
- W.H. SMITH - "Million of e-Books to suit all tastes."