Top 100 Best Passports | COVID-19 Vaccine Passports
A PASSPORT is a travel document, usually issued by a country's government to its citizens, that certifies the identity and nationality of its holder primarily for the purpose of international travel. Standard passports may contain information such as the holder's name, place and date of birth, photograph, signature, and other relevant identifying information.
Many countries have either begun issuing or plan to issue biometric passports that contains an embedded microchip, making them machine-readable and difficult to counterfeit. As of January 2019, there were over 150 jurisdictions issuing e-passports. Previously issued non-biometric machine-readable passports usually remain valid until their respective expiration dates.
A passport holder is normally entitled to enter the country that issued the passport, though some people entitled to a passport may not be full citizens with right of abode (e.g. American nationals or British nationals). A passport does not of itself create any rights in the country being visited or obligate the issuing country in any way, such as providing consular assistance. Some passports attest to the bearer having a status as a diplomat or other official, entitled to rights and privileges such as immunity from arrest or prosecution.
Many countries normally allow entry to holders of passports of other countries, sometimes requiring a visa also to be obtained, but this is not an automatic right. Many other additional conditions, such as not being likely to become a public charge for financial or other reasons, and the holder not having been convicted of a crime, may apply. Where a country does not recognise another, or is in dispute with it, it may prohibit the use of their passport for travel to that other country, or may prohibit entry to holders of that other country's passports, and sometimes to others who have, for example, visited the other country. Some individuals are subject to sanctions which deny them entry into particular countries.
Some countries and international organisations issue travel documents which are not standard passports, but enable the holder to travel internationally to countries that recognise the documents. For example, stateless persons are not normally issued a national passport, but may be able to obtain a refugee travel document or the earlier "Nansen passport" which enables them to travel to countries which recognise the document, and sometimes to return to the issuing country.
Passports may be requested in other circumstances to confirm identification such as checking into a hotel or when changing money to a local currency. Passports and other travel documents have an expiry date, after which it is no longer recognised, but it is recommended that a passport is valid for at least six months as many airlines deny boarding to passengers whose passport has a shorter expiry date, even if the destination country may not have such a requirement.
An IMMUNITY PASSPORT, also known as an immunity certificate, recovery certificate or release certificate, is a document attesting that its bearer is immune to a contagious disease. The concept of immunity passports has drawn much attention during the COVID-19 pandemic as a potential way to contain the pandemic and permit faster economic recovery. This could include a "health passport" for people who have either been vaccinated or otherwise developed immunity by surviving COVID-19.
A CAMOUFLAGE PASSPORT is a document, designed to look like a real passport, issued in the name of a non-existent country or entity. It may be sold with matching documents, such as an international driver's license, club membership card, insurance documents or similar supporting identity papers. A camouflage passport is not a real, valid passport and is to be distinguished from a valid second passport, which an individual with dual citizenship may be eligible to hold, a novelty fantasy passport, or a fake of a real passport.
DIPLOMATIC PASSPORT, a passport used by diplomats. Issued to diplomats of a country and their accompanying dependents for official international travel and residence. Accredited diplomats of certain grades may be granted diplomatic immunity by a host country, but this is not automatically conferred by holding a diplomatic passport. Any diplomatic privileges apply in the country to which the diplomat is accredited; elsewhere diplomatic passport holders must adhere to the same regulations and travel procedures as are required of other nationals of their country. Holding a diplomatic passport in itself does not accord any specific privileges. At some airports, there are separate passport checkpoints for diplomatic passport holders.
COVID-19 Vaccine Passport News, Reviews & Resources
- airline industry will release a COVID-19 passport for your iPhone next month - "After successfully trialing it on an international flight between Singapore and London earlier this month, the IATA says it will release its Travel Pass app in mid-April. The software allows airline travelers to store verified COVID-19 test results and vaccination certificates on their phones."
- Are Covid passports a threat to liberty? It depends on how you define freedom - "The pandemic is once again causing governments to pit incompatible ideas of freedom against each other."
- As global Covid vaccine passports become a reality, we have to make sure they’re fair - "Discrimination against those from poorer countries seems inevitable unless everyone accepts the WHO’s guidelines."
- Can Covid immunity passports unlock travel? - "Can airport testing and Covid immunity passports unlock travel? In the current Covid-created travel maze, passengers face constantly shifting rules as airports, countries and even airlines impose their own restrictions on who can cross international borders."
- Coronapas: The passport helping Denmark open up after Covid - "Football fans will be allowed into stadiums from Wednesday and bars, restaurants and museums are reopening as Denmark takes a big foot forward in lifting its coronavirus restrictions. The big condition for Danes to take advantage of these new freedoms is that they must prove they are infection-free, by showing a coronapas or corona passport."
- Coronavirus health passports for UK 'possible in months' - "Tech firm Onfido in talks with government about system to help Britons return to work."
- Covid passes set to stay as Europe heads for winter - "There have been protests and complaints of restricted freedom, but much of Europe is now using Covid passports to enter bars, restaurants, cinemas and museums."
- Covid passports could increase vaccine uptake, study suggests - "Certification encouraged vaccination in countries with low coverage, especially among young people."
- Covid-status certificates could lead to deliberate infections, scientists warn - "Immunity certification could foster ‘an erroneous sense of no risk’ in people’s behaviour, according to analysts."
- Covid-19 Vaccine Passports Are Coming. What Will That Mean? - "Scores of plans to verify immunity are in the works. But there are even more questions about how they’ll use data, protect privacy - and who gets certified first."
- COVID-19 Vaccine Passports: Trudeau Says No, Airlines Say Yes - "Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has nixed the idea of vaccine passports for Canadians – but there are already companies and other governments around the world hard at work to put them in place."
- EU Digital Covid Certificate: Everything you need to know - "How travel will look in the near future is the question on everyone's lips, and as Europe begins to reopen its borders to travelers from outside the continent, the European Union has announced the launch of its EU Digital Covid Certificate -- set to allow freedom of movement around the bloc."
- EU digital Covid-19 certificates will be open to non-EU international travelers - "The EU digital Covid-19 certificate for travel can be opened to non-EU international travelers, including those from the United States, subject to individual member states' acceptance of proof of vaccination, a negative test result or recovery from Covid infection, an EU Commission spokesperson told CNN on Wednesday."
- EU officially launches digital vaccine passport - "It shows proof of vaccination, negative test result, or past infection."
- EU Travel: ‘Vaccine Passports’ Can’t Be Requirement For Travel, Says EU - "EU has agreed that people who don’t have this certificate shouldn’t be discriminated against - that’s why it isn’t called a passport or doesn’t have anything called vaccine near the title."
- Europe Is Considering COVID-19 Vaccine Passports. Should the Rest of the World Catch Up? - "In a move welcomed by many of Europe’s traumatized travel destinations, the European Union’s leadership is considering a digital health pass that would allow E.U. citizens who have received a COVID-19 vaccine to travel for work or tourism."
- Freedom & fairness: Covid vaccine passport plans cause global unease - "Schemes are in development from Sweden to China, but there are fears around transmission and social unrest."
- How US history explains vaccine passport scepticism - "As the pace of vaccination accelerates, governments, corporations and schools have signalled support for so-called vaccine passports - standardised proof of inoculation."
- If you want to travel next year, you may need a vaccine passport - "Now that coronavirus vaccines are starting to roll out in the US and abroad, many people may be dreaming of the day when they can travel, shop and go to the movies again. But in order to do those activities, you may eventually need something in addition to the vaccine: a vaccine passport application."
- immunity passports: an idea whose time has not come - "A phone app seems better than a passport as a way out of the lockdown. This system will need to be temporary, installed at users’ discretion and have privacy at its core."
- Italy to mandate Covid-19 'Green Pass' for all workers - "The rule was decided at a cabinet meeting and aims to persuade more people to get vaccinated against Covid-19. It is due to come into force on October 15."
- Microsoft, Oracle & other tech giants team up Covid-19 vaccine 'passports' - "Some of the country's biggest tech firms and health care organizations have joined together to help facilitate that return to 'normal.' The group, called the Vaccine Credential Initiative, wants to ensure that everyone has access to a secure, digital record of their Covid-19 vaccination - like a digital vaccine passport - that can be stored in people's smartphones. The records could be used for everything from airline travel to entering concert venues."
- No alternative to vaccine passports, says Dubai airport boss - "The boss of the world's busiest airport for international passengers has said Covid passports are the only way to restart mass foreign travel."
- NHS vaccine passports sold to jab refuseniks for £750 as criminals use Telegram to advertise & upload 'certificates' to buyers' mobiles - "Official NHS passes used to prove double-jabbed status are being sold on an encrypted messaging app to people who refuse to be vaccinated, The Mail on Sunday can reveal. The certificates - which are uploaded on to the NHS's mobile phone app - should only be available to those who have been fully inoculated."
- The U.S. Has Had 'Vaccine Passports' Before & They Worked - "The year was 1885. U.S. border officials in the late 19th century did not expect travelers to carry the identification documents that international transit requires today - but they did often require passengers to provide evidence that they had been vaccinated from smallpox."
- These European Countries Are Launching Vaccine Passports - "It’s becoming clearer that in the not-too-distant future, international travelers will require some sort of vaccine passport or vaccine certificate, as a growing number of countries get behind the idea. The appeal is that these documents would allow countries to clear travelers upon entry without the need for quarantining and testing requirements."
- These 'vaccine passports' are why we can have nice things - "But their rollout has been marred by technical hiccups and anti-vaxx resistance."
- US rules out federal vaccine passports - "The White House has ruled out introducing mandatory federal Covid-19 vaccination passports, saying citizens' privacy and rights should be protected."
- Vaccine Passport: The Government Can't Share Your Data, But Airlines Can - "While these passports continue to garner visceral political reactions, differing from state to state, public companies and nongovernmental organizations have quietly rolled out passports of their own. American Airlines, United, and The Commons Project Foundation, a digital health non-profit, have all created their own passports."
- Vaccine passports are less a threat to liberty than a mark of solidarity - "Anti-vaxxers in France and elsewhere claim personal freedom. But what of brotherhood?"
- Vaccine passports 'essential' for resumption of international travel - "World Tourism Organisation calls for global coordination, standardised certification and harmonised testing protocols."
- 'Vaccine passports' may be a golden ticket - "What 'vaccine passports' mean for your summer vacation."
- Vaccine passports: what are they & do they pose a danger to privacy? - "Race to build app for people to demonstrate Covid jab or a negative test, but rights groups worry about ‘identity checks’."
- Vaccine passports will make hesitant people ‘even more reluctant to get jabbed’ - "Data comes as No 10 vows to press on with plan to make vaccination a condition of entry for nightclubs."
- Why 'health passports' wont't work - "Some of the earliest countries to be impacted by the virus have been quick to adopt health certificates - but can immunity passports really help us travel safely again?"
- Will We Need Vaccine Passports to Do Fun Things? - TIME Magazine.
Travel Passport News, Reviews & Resources
- 5 Countries With Easy Citizenship for Retirement - "Canada - Dominican Republic - Ireland - Peru - Germany. In the short term, we're all working for the weekends; but, in the long run, we're all working with the hopes of retiring one day. While everyone has a different dream for that scenario, there is an option that feels very appealing to a lot of us: moving to another country."
- 10 Easiest Countries in Europe to Get Citizenship - "The opportunity to apply for European citizenship is better than it has ever been, given the European companies' desperation and the enormous volume of unfilled positions."
- 10 must-have luxury passport holders for the stylish jetsetter - Lifestyle Asia.
- 12 Best Passport Cases for All Your Globetrotting Needs - "With these chic protective picks, you'll wonder how you never traveled with one in the first place."
- 12 Countries Where You Can Buy Citizenship (and a second Passport) - "After the 2016 presidential election, so many people were dreaming about moving out of the US that Canada’s immigration website crashed. Now, the idea of becoming an expat is getting hot again. According to a recent YouGov survey, 31% of Americans say they are interested in bolting if their candidate isn’t elected in the upcoming November elections. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson made headlines when they recently became honorary Greek citizens and received passports."
- 24 fascinating things you didn't know about your passport - The Telegraph.
- 28 Most Powerful Passports in the World - Travel + Leisure.
- 2021 world's most powerful passports - "The days of strolling into an airport, flashing a passport, then hopping on a flight to wherever one likes are, for now, a distant memory. The Henley Passport Index, which periodically measures the world's most travel-friendly passports, has just released its latest report - and an analysis of what might lie ahead."
- A beginner's guide to pet passports - "How to travel internationally with your pets."
- After no change for 5 years, there’s a new most powerful passport 2023 - "The world’s most powerful passport for 2023 revealed. Japan’s been knocked down into third place and the new titleholder is Singapore, whose citizens are able to visit 193 destinations out of 227 around the world visa-free."
- Australia's oldest micronation, Hutt River is no more thanks to Covid-19 - "The 50-year reign of an Australia-based micronation formed by a 'prince' has come to an end. Hutt River, a self-declared principality, issued its own passports and once even declared war on Australia. In recent years, however, it's been known as a quirky tourist attraction."
- Bali cracks down on damaged passports - "Indonesia is cracking down on this passport rule with one man reportedly stopped from travelling to Bali from Perth on Christmas Day."
- Belgium launches new passport featuring national comic book heroes - "From 7 February, Belgium is launching a redesigned international passport, with illustrations of Belgian comic book characters, Foreign Affairs Minister Sophie Wilmès announced on Thursday."
- Best & worst passports to hold in 2020 - "Henley Index: Japan tops 2020 list of world's most powerful passports."
- Best Golden Passports & Visas Programs: Malta & Portugal Top The 2022 List - "As golden passport and visa programs around the world undergo strict scrutiny and the European Union prepares to issue harsher controls, Malta and Portugal have secured top spots in the annual indexes published by Henley and Partners (H&P) ranking the world’s most attractive Investment Migration Programs."
- Best Passports To Have For Unrestricted Travel Around The World - The Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index.
- Can you pass the US citizenship test? - The Guardian.
- celebrity passport photo office: ‘Errol Flynn just said, Yep! It’s me!’ - "From Uri Geller, who bent the shop’s only spoon, to the Beatles, Arnie and Joan Collins, a small London shop near the US embassy has been taking passport snaps for the famous since 1953."
- Citizenship for sale: fugitives, politicians & disgraced businesspeople buying Vanuatu passports - "More than 2,000 people, including individuals sought by police, have purchased passports, and with them visa-free access to the EU and UK."
- Controversial Cyprus passport scheme will not be replaced, says president - "A controversial citizenship-for-investment programme scrapped by Cyprus in late 2020 had shortcomings and will not be replaced, President Nicos Anastasiades said on Tuesday."
- Cyprus To Suspend EU ‘Golden Passport’ Program After Controversy - "Cyprus is set to suspend a program providing a quick route to citizenship and access to visa-free travel throughout European Union countries after officials were caught considering ways to help convicted criminals gain access to the initiative."
- EU urges crackdown on 'golden passports' for big investors - "The EU Commission has told EU states to tighten checks on non-EU nationals who acquire citizenship - so-called 'golden passports' - through investments."
- Find out which countries are welcoming US tourists back - "Once one of the world's most powerful travel documents, the might of the US passport has shriveled during the Covid-19 pandemic."
- Gallery of passport stamps by country or territory - Wikipedia.
- 'Golden passports': EU launches legal action against Cyprus & Malta - "Brussels says schemes selling citizenship to wealthy investors are illegal."
- 'Golden passports' threaten European security, warns EU commissioner - "‘Citizenship for sale’ under increasing scrutiny from governments and security agencies."
- Henley Global Mobility Report 2023 - "The Henley Global Mobility Report is a unique publication featuring commentary by leading scholars and experts on major trends influencing mobility patterns. Grounded in geopolitical analysis and focusing on the realities shaping our world - from the repercussions of war to the rise in international travel and discrepancies in passport power, to climate change and the global migration crisis — the report offers exclusive insights into what we can expect in the months to come."
- Henley Passport Index - since 2006. "The Henley Passport Index is the original, authoritative ranking of all the world’s passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa. The index is based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) - the largest, most accurate travel information database - and enhanced by Henley & Partners’ research team. The Henley Passport Index compares the visa-free access of 199 different passports to 227 travel destinations. If no visa is required, then a score with value = 1 is created for that passport. The same applies if you can obtain a visa on arrival, a visitor’s permit, or an electronic travel authority (ETA) when entering the destination."
- Here is world’s rarest passport, held only by 500 people - "The Order of Malta, a Roman Catholic institution or order, is home to the rarest passport in the world."
- Hong Kong tells foreign governments to stop accepting special British passport - "The Hong Kong government on Thursday confirmed a Reuters report that it had told 14 countries to stop accepting a British travel document that many of its young people use to apply for working holiday visas in Europe, North America and parts of Asia."
- how fake passports allow IS members to enter Europe & US - "Seller whose passports have been used by those who illegally crossed Syrian border says: ‘it is not my job to see who is bad’."
- How much travelers pay for some of the world's most expensive passports - "These are some of the world's priciest passports, plus some more standard price points. The costs below are in local currencies and US dollars for adult passports that last 10 years, unless specified otherwise. Currency conversions are approximate as of early May 2022."
- How Powerful Is Your Passport? These Are The Best, Post-Pandemic, In 2021 - "A passport isn’t just a necessity for a two-week break away; it’s as much about a person’s freedom, their right to live and work in other places and in many instances, a better way of life."
- Investor Citizenship ("golden passport") Schemes - "Questions and Answers on the Report on Investor Citizenship and Residence Schemes in the European Union."
- Malta's 'golden passports': Why do the super-rich want them? - BBC News.
- Maltese passports: why the uber-rich are desperate to have one - "A passport from this country is 'the latest status symbol'. And the world’s wealthiest people are lining up for one."
- New Zealand loses appeal to rich foreigners as investor visa numbers plunge - "Arrival of super wealthy in country had previously left government facing awkward questions."
- Passports for purchase: How the elite get through a pandemic - "Super-rich families are buying multiple citizenships to prepare for the next lockdown. For most people, the coronavirus pandemic has meant fewer travel options. Not so for super-rich families who are increasingly using their money to cross borders that would otherwise be closed to them."
- Passports for purchase: Open citizenship doors around the world - "Need a new passport? These countries will sell you one -- if you can afford it."
- passports unavailable to most travelers - "The passports that open all doors. Chances are you only have one passport - maybe two if you have dual nationality. But find yourself in a particular job - diplomatic, investigative or even presidential - and you may get your mitts on documentation that's altogether inaccessible to the hoi polloi. Here are some of the nonstandard passports and passes out there."
- Peter Thiel, Major U.S. Political Donor, Is Said to Pursue Maltese Citizenship - "Obtaining citizenship in Malta would provide another passport for Mr. Thiel, who is one of the largest individual donors for the U.S. midterm elections."
- Putin presents Steven Seagal with Russian passport
- rarest passport in the world has only three holders - News.com.au.
- Revealed: residency loophole in Malta’s cash-for-passports scheme - "Leaked files show applicants leave homes empty for most of year while claiming ‘genuine link’ to EU country."
- Sale of late Egyptian President Sadat's passport in Texas sparks outrage among family - "The family of the late Egyptian President Anwar Sadat has called on authorities to investigate the sale of the leader's passport at a US auction house, arguing that the travel document is part of the nation's heritage. Sadat's diplomatic passport was sold on February 22 for $47,500 by Dallas, Texas-based Heritage Auctions, according to its website."
- Surge in passport sales delivers Vanuatu a record budget surplus - "Economy devastated by Covid shutdowns and a destructive cyclone, but citizenships-for-sale are keeping the country afloat. Vanuatu citizenship costs US$130,000."
- Swiss 'passports' for 20 - CNN style.
- Tax evasion: blacklist of 21 countries with 'golden passport' schemes published - "OECD says schemes selling either residency or citizenship threaten efforts to combat tax evasion."
- THE AMBASSADOR - Danish documentary about how to obtain a legal diplomatic passport in Liberia.
- The Best Passports To Have For Unrestricted Travel Around The World - The Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index.
- The House Passes Two Immigration Bills. But Will Broader Immigration Reform Be Possible? - TIME Magazine.
- The passport king who markets citizenship for cash - "Guardian investigation reveals how a small firm of wealth advisers built up a $3bn ‘golden passports’ industry and gained influence in the Caribbean."
- The shadowy world of camouflage passports - "A counterfeit passport falsely claims the bearer is from a certain country, in order to get them through borders illegally. The camouflage passport, however, used the name of a former country, since changed for political reasons."
- These Countries Have the Most Powerful Passports in the World - "Some passports are more powerful than others, granting visa-free access to more countries for headache-free travel. Here's how each country's passport stacks up."
- This Passport Is So Rare, Only 500 People on Earth Have It - Travel + Leisure.
- This world-class airport will soon go passport-free - "Starting in 2024, officials say Singapore’s Changi Airport will introduce automated immigration clearance, which will allow passengers to depart the city-state without passports, using only biometric data."
- United Arab Emirates now has the most powerful passport in the world - "After jumping 32 spots under new visa-free travel privileges - as the UK ranks 30th, Australia 39th and the US 43rd."
- US passport is now as weak as Mexico's - "Henley Index: Japan tops 2020 list of world's most powerful passports."
- Vanuatu strips Syrian businessman of controversial ‘golden passport’ citizenship - "Abdul Rahman Khiti has approval for citizenship revoked after Guardian revealed sanctioned businessman among more than 2,000 people who bought passports."
- Want to become Italian? The 007 of lost Italian documents may be able to help - "Want to become Italian? If you have Italian ancestors in your family tree, it might be easier than you realize."
- When can you legally travel without a passport? - "Fugitive Edward Snowden is hoping to get to Ecuador, despite not having a valid passport. So when can you legally travel without one?"
- Why the super-rich buy Maltese passports - "Malta's 'golden passports': Why do the super-rich want them?"
- Why the world's passports look different - "The crest on the cover? The colour of the booklet? Those intricately designed inner pages? There’s a reason for every element of your passport’s aesthetic."
- Why you should never hand over your passport at hotel - The Telegraph.
- World’s Best & Worst Passports, ‘As New Iron Curtain Descends’ - It's clear that the war in Ukraine has radically changed the power of certain passports in the region and beyond. How powerful is yours?
- World's most powerful passport list impacted by Ukraine conflict - "The closure of airspace due to Russia's military aggression and the opening of borders to Ukrainian refugees has begun to exert influence on global travel freedoms, according to the latest data complied on the world's most travel-friendly passports. While there's been little change at the at the top of a list of countries with so-called powerful passports - meaning those with the most visa-free travel options around the world - the recent conflict is starting to shake things up lower down the index compiled by London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm Henley & Partners."
- world's most powerful passports for 2021 - "The global gap in travel freedoms has never been wider, says the latest report by London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm Henley & Partners. The firm's Henley Passport Index, based on exclusive data provided by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), has been regularly monitoring the world's most travel-friendly passports since 2006."
- World's most powerful passport for 2022 revealed - "There's a widening gap between the global north and the global south when it comes to travel freedoms, says the first 2022 report by London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm Henley & Partners. The firm's Henley Passport Index, based on exclusive data provided by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), has been regularly monitoring the world's most travel-friendly passports since 2006."
- world's most powerful passport for 2023 revealed - "A trio of Asian passports offer their holders greater global travel freedom than those of any other countries, according to a new quarterly report released by London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm Henley & Partners."
- world's most powerful - & worst - passports for 2022 - "A trio of Asian passports offer their holders greater global travel freedom than those of any other countries, according to a new quarterly report released by London-based global citizenship and residence advisory firm Henley & Partners."
Wikipedia Passport Resources
- BIOMETRIC PASSPORT - Wikipedia.
- Camouflage passport - Wikipedia.
- Diplomatic passport - Wikipedia.
- Immunity passport - Wikipedia.
- List of passports - Wikipedia.
- Nansen passport - Wikipedia.
- Passport - Wikipedia.
- Passport stamp - Wikipedia.
- Pet passport - Wikipedia.
- Travel document - Wikipedia.