Top 15 Best International Auto & Classic Car Auctions
AUTO AUCTIONS are a method of selling new, and most often, used vehicles based on auction system. Auto auctions can be found in most nations, but are often unused by most people, since in nations such as the United States, auto auctions are protected source for used car dealers. In other countries, such as Japan, auto auctions are well known and used, sometimes indirectly, by most residents.
Car Auction News, Reviews & Resources
- 3 Incredible Supercars from the 2020 RM Sotheby’s Scottsdale Auctions - Forbes.
- 10 Classic Mercedes-Benz Cars That Are Worth Every Penny - "These Mercedes cars are already some of the coolest classics on the market, and their values will only keep climbing."
- 10 Collectible Cars To Buy & Hold For Fun & Profit - "Even in the midst of a pandemic, collectible car prices continue to boggle the mind and stagger the pocketbook."
- 10 Most Expensive Ever Sold At Auction - "Vintage cars are amazing but also very expensive. We have created a list of the most expensive cars sold at auction."
- 11 most expensive cars sold at auction in 2016 - Wired.
- 20 Barn-Find Ferraris To Be Auctioned At Monterey Car Week - "A collection of classic Ferrari road and race cars, hidden in a barn and unused for decades, will be auctioned in California next week between 17 and 19 August. The so-called ‘Lost & Found Collection’ consists of some of the rarest Ferraris ever built, including one of just three factory-built examples of the 512 BB Competizione, presented exactly as it was after competing in the 1978 24 Hours of Le Mans. There’s also a one-of-four 250 GT, and the crumbled wreck of a 1954 500 Mondial Spider Series I that raced at both the Mille Miglia and Targa Florio. To be auctioned by RM Sotheby’s during Monterey Car Week in California later this month, the 20-car set could sell for $20 million."
- 28 Rare Ferraris From the Collection of French Racer Marcel Petitjean Are Heading to Auction - "The Frenchman is sending some of his finest Ferraris under the gavel at RM Sotheby’s in Paris this February, 2022."
- 40 Ultra-Rare Supercars Are Heading to Auction This Weekend, From Ferrari to Porsche & More - "Collecting Cars will hold the aptly named Supercar Sunday sale on July 3, 2022."
- 1955 Ferrari 410 Sport Spider by Scaglietti - The “Best Ferrari Ever Built” Is Heading to Auction - "1955 Ferrari 410 Sport Spider at RM Sotheby's Auction. The Ferrari 410 Sport Spider was driven by Formula 1 legend Juan Manuel Fangio. The 1955 Ferrari 410 Sport Spider will go for auction in Monterey, California this August 18-20."
- 1959 ferrari 250 gt lwb california spider competizione by scaglietti - RM Sotheby's December 6, 2017.
- 2005 Porsche Carrera GT With Just 182 Miles Is Set To Break Auction Records 2022 - "The Porsche Carrera GT features one of the most timeless designs in automotive history and today it stands out as perhaps the last analog supercar."
- AUTO AUCTION - Wikipedia.
- Bugatti Chiron ProfilÉe Sets A World Record At Auction, Selling For $10.7 Million - "On February 1, Bugatti CEO Mate Rimac announced the news that the sole Bugatti Chiron Profilée on the planet has set a global record of 'most expensive new car ever sold at auction,' fetching $10.76 million at RM Sotheby’s. With taxes, the total is approximately $13.1 million."
- Bugatti is auctioning off its last purely gas-powered car & it’s accidentally one-of-a-kind - "Bugatti will sell its very last purely gas-powered supercar at a Paris auction on February 1. The one-of-a-kind model is expected to sell for millions of dollars. It’s a car that, Bugatti says, was never originally expected to be sold at all."
- Cars Most Likely To Become Coveted Collectibles - ""This year's Bull Market list includes a diverse range of vehicles, including microcars, muscle cars, sports cars, exotics, a motorcycle, and even a military-grade SUV. The common factor is timing - even against the current economic backdrop, we believe this group is poised to grow the most in value next year," says Hagerty’s Vice President of Automotive Intelligence Brian Rabold. "Buying a fun car while it's on the way up means you can use and enjoy it while likely coming out ahead when it's time to sell." Forbes.
- Classic car glossary - an A-Z of classic car vocabulary - The Telegraph.
- Classic Cars Are Meant To Be Driven - Even This $1.5 Million Ferrari 250 Lusso - Forbes.
- Enthusiastic turnout for Monaco Car Auction’s debut sale - "More than 100 people attended the Ferrari-only debut sale at the Grimaldi Forum on Thursday evening, with a number of outstanding vehicles going under the hammer. The top price achieved, as expected, was for the Enzo belonging to Fernando Alonso, at 4.2 million euros, somewhat below the estimate of 5 to 5.5 million euros. The first Enzo ever built, the car has 4,800 kilometres on the clock."
- Ferrari big five star in RM Sotheby’s £36m collection of dreams - "The Gran Turismo collection is going under the hammer next month with RM Sotheby’s, and it features 18 of the finest cars ever to grace our roads. Featuring the Ferrari F40, F50, 288 GTO, Enzo and LaFerrari, the Ferrari big five alone is a collection any enthusiast could only dream of." All 18 cars will go under the hammer on November 5th, 2022 at RM Sotheby’s annual London sale, with the set expected to fetch up to £36m in total.
- Forget The Market - You Should Have Invested In These Vintage Cars For Maximum Returns - "We’re counting down the 40 collectible cars Classic.com identifies as increasing the most in value during 2022, noting the percentage of growth and both beginning and year-end values. You can find the complete list of 100 big gainers here."
- Frank Sinatra’s 1970 Maserati Ghibli & Other Celebrity-Owned Cars Going Up For Auction - "Now you can not only channel ol’ Blue Eyes in the car, you can ride around in true Rat Pack style by bidding on the iconic singer’s 1970 Maserati Ghibli, up for auction June 17-19 at Barrett-Jackson. There is no reserve."
- ‘In The Wrapper’ Silver Ferrari Enzo Could Set A Record At Auction - "With just 400 examples ever made, the Ferrari Enzo has always commanded high prices at auction – helped in no small way by it being a part of the ‘Ferrari Big Five’, along with the equally desirable 288 GTO, F40, F50 and LaFerrari. The V12 supercar, which arrived in 2002 with a retail price of $659,000, has surged in popularity in recent years, and prices are now around the $3-4 million mark, according to Classic.com. Most recently, a rare black example sold at auction in February for $4.4 million, setting a new high benchmark for the Enzo. RM Sotheby’s concludes: 'Considering its remarkable condition, still wearing much of its factory protective wrapping, this Argento Nurburgring example is the ultimate prize for collectors valuing both rarity and originality.' The car is offered without reserve, but via the auction house’s sealed-bid system, where interested parties are invited to privately submit a bid between 15 and 17 March."
- List of most expensive cars sold at auction - Wikipedia.
- Luxury Investments Around the World Compared - infographic - "Do you enjoy the finer things in life? For many of the world’s wealthy individuals, acquiring luxury goods such as art, fine wine, and watches is a passion. Unlike traditional investments in financial assets, luxury goods can be difficult to value if one does not have an appreciation for their form. A rare painting, for example, does not generate cash flows, meaning its value is truly in the eye of the beholder. To gain some insight into the market for luxury goods, this infographic takes data from Knight Frank’s 2021 Wealth Report to compare the preferences of nine global regions."
- Michael Caine's Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow Is For Sale - "The Ex-Michael Caine Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow. This car is now for sale through H&H Classics."
- Neil Peart's Car Collection Is Going To Auction - "The late drummer apparently loved a sleek silver sports car."
- One-Of-A-Kind $6 Million Bugatti Chiron ProfilÉe Is Up For Auction In Paris This Week - "Hypercar collectors will have one last opportunity to buy a new Bugatti Chiron this week, as the unique Profilée goes under the hammer at an auction in France on February 1."
- Pinnacle Portfolio sells for US$67 million to become world's most valuable car collection - Gizmag.
- Princess Diana's one-of-a-kind Ford Escort goes up for auction - "A unique black Ford Escort driven by the late Princess Diana in the 1980s is due to be auctioned this weekend at Britain's Silverstone racing circuit. One of 130 lots going up for sale on Saturday, the RS Turbo Series 1 Escort belonged to Diana between 1985 and 1988. It is thought to be the only example of the model made in black, according to Silverstone Auctions, which expect it to fetch more than 100,000 pounds ($118,000)." Saturday, August 27.
- Princess Diana's unique Ford Escort fetches $850,000 at auction - "Ford Escort RS Turbo Series 1 that was driven by the late Princess Diana fetched £724,500 ($851,070) at an auction held at Britain's Silverstone racing circuit on Saturday."
- Princess Margaret's 1954 Rolls-Royce Phantom Is on the Auction Block - "Some crown jewels come with V8 engines! A rare Rolls-Royce Phantom IV limousine built for Princess Margaret is going up for auction at Sotheby's on June 19, 2021."
- Rare classic cars up for auction after huge 230-vehicle find - "Car enthusiasts will be able to get their hands on a rare Lancia B24 Spider America next month when an impressive fleet of 230 classic cars discovered in warehouses and an abandoned church in Holland comes up for auction." Unique Barnfind Collection with 230 classic cars will be auctioned. Gallery Aaldering & Classic Car Auctions presents: The Palmen Barnfind Collection - Auctioned by Classic Car Auctions.
- RM Sotheby's is selling 12 fantastic Ferraris at Villa Erba. Now here's the hard part - "While the world's greatest classic cars compete at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este, buyers will have to pick between 12 of the most iconic Ferraris from a single collection offered without reserve at the RM Sotheby's Villa Erba Sale. The cars in question all hail from a single garage, dubbed the Aurora Collection, and the full dozen of them are up for grabs at RM Sotheby’s Villa Erba auction on the 20th of May."
- Sean Connery's own classic Aston Martin is for sale - "The Bond car that the late actor Sean Connery first drove in the 1964 film "Goldfinger" was an Aston Martin DB5 replete with gadgets like machine guns, an ejector seat and an oil slick maker. More than 50 years later, Connery sought out a 1964 DB5 for himself and, after looking for over a year, finally bought one - without the movie car's guns and gadgets - in early 2018. Connery died almost two years later at the age of 90. His DB5, the only one he ever actually owned, will be offered for sale at an auction this summer. The car is expected to sell for between $1.4 million and $1.8 million, according to the auction company Broad Arrow Group. The car will be offered at Broad Arrow Group's Monterey, California, auction on August 18."
- Sean Connery's own 'James Bond car' sold for $2.4 million - "A silver Aston Martin DB5 that had been owned by actor Sean Connery was sold at auction Thursday for $2.4 million. It was a 1964 Aston Martin DB5, just the sort of car that British secret agent James Bond drove in the 1960s films in which he was played by Connery. At $2.4 million, which included fees to the auction company Broad Arrow, the car fetched more than originally projected. The company had expected it to sell for between $1.4 million and $1.8 million at its collector car auction in Monterey, California. The buyer was not named."
- See The Top 100 Collector Cars To Include Rare & Exotic Ferraris, Bugattis & Lamborghinis - "One hundred of history’s rarest, most inventive, artistic, sculptural and emotional motor cars are gathered on the pages of a new double-volume book. Authored by husband-and-wife team Charlotte and Peter Fiell, 'Ultimate Collector Cars' features the world’s most significant classic and contemporary cars, almost all of which are in private collections making rare appearances at Concours d'Elegance, Villa d’Este and other such luxurious events."
- Seinfeld’s Porsche 911 GT3, Other Exclusive Vehicles To Be Auctioned By Bonhams April 10 - "Jerry Seinfeld's auto collection is comprised of (about) 150 exotic, rare and vintage vehicles, well-noted and salivated over by the car-loving public."
- Stirling Moss's 1966 Mercedes 230 SL Is Heading to Auction - "The "Moss Pagoda" is expected to fetch up more than $140,000 at Silverstone Auctions Classic Sale on Saturday, August 27."
- Swiss to auction 25 supercars seized from son of Equatorial Guinea dictator - "Luxury cars seized from vice president Teodorin Obiang Nguema are expected to fetch $18m at Geneva auction."
- THE BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO HIGH-END AUTO AUCTIONS - "Thirteen tips for scoring your vintage vehicular dream."
- The Craziest Cars Sold by RM Auctions - "On the weekend of 22 June, 2019, RM Auctions celebrated its 40th birthday in the town where it started almost half a century ago. The importance of the company to its home town is captured in the words of Darrin Canniff, the mayor of Chatham-Kent: 'RM choosing to celebrate with all of Chatham-Kent is a world-class move by a world-class company'."
- These futuristic concept cars from the 1950s are up for auction with a $20 million estimate - "A trio of rarely seen, futuristic concept cars from the 1950s are going up for auction at Sotheby's, with an estimated value of up to $20 million."
- This Ferrari GTO is the most valuable car ever auctioned. It sold for US$48 million - "A 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO sold for US$48.4 million at RM Sotheby's annual Monterey collector car sale - a world record for any car ever sold at auction."
- This twisted hunk of metal that used to be a Ferrari just sold for nearly $2 million. Here’s why - "A hulk of dented, torn and scorched metal that was, decades ago, a Ferrari race car just sold at an RM Sotheby’s auction in California for $1.9 million. While that may be surprising, it’s not quite as horrible an investment as it looks, especially if the buyer is after something more than money: racing history and, for the new owner, a shot at a glory all their own. One of only 13 made, this 1954 Ferrari Mondial Spider Series I wasn’t one of Ferrari’s fabled V12 models but an entirely different design. The four-cylinder car was designed for driving on twisting tracks with lots of curves and few straightaways, where a smaller, lighter engine was desirable."
- Top Classic Car Auctions - "$1 million plus cars."
- Top 25 Most Expensive Cars Sold at the 2016 Monterey Auctions - Car and Driver.
- Top 100 Collector Car Markets of 2022 - "The S&P 500 finished the year down 19.4% from last year. If you had taken that money and invested in any of these collector cars instead, you’d be a much happier camper. Throughout the year, we’ve tracked sale prices from the leading auction venues around the world (live and online), and used that data to present to you the Top 100 Collector Car Markets of 2022 - the top models of classic and exotic cars whose overall market value has increased over the past year."
- Ultra-Rare 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLR Stirling Moss Up For Auction - "The 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLR Stirling Moss is one of those vehicles, and one of them is up for auction at Sothebys starting January 31."
- Vice President's seized luxury supercars auctioned off - "A collection of luxury supercars seized from the extravagant vice president of Equatorial Guinea as part of a corruption probe were auctioned in Switzerland on Sunday."
- White Lamborghini Countach From ‘Wolf Of Wall Street’ Is Going Up For Auction - "The actual Lamborghini Countach that starred alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in The Wolf of Wall Street will be available to buy later this year. Believed to be one of only 12 US specification cars delivered new in Bianco Polo over Bianco - white paint with a matching white interior - the Countach 25th Anniversary is one of two such cars used to shoot the 2013 Martin Scorsese movie. Of the two, one was depicted with lifelike damage, having been driven carelessly by an inebriated Jordan Belfort, the stockbroker played by DiCaprio. The crashed car “remains in the same condition to this day, solidifying its own place as a Hollywood icon with its now infamous battle scars,” said auction house RM Sotheby’s, Auction location: Sotheby's New York, 1334 York Avenue, December 8, 2023."
Top 15 International Auto & Classic Car Auctions
- Artcurial Motorcars - since 2002. "With an 80-million-euro turnover in 2016, Artcurial Motorcars has established itself as the foremost specialist in Europe, holding the world record (in and £) for a car at auction with the Ferrari 335 Scaglietti Sport from the Pierre Bardinon collection in 2016." Holds 4 auctions each year.
- Barons Classic Car Auctioneers - since 1998. "Classic & historic motor car auctions.
- BARRETT-JACKSON - "Established in 1971 and headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, Barrett-Jackson, The World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions, is the leader in collector car auctions and automotive lifestyle events."
- BCA - since 1946. "The UK and Europe's largest used vehicle marketplace." Choose from thousands of vehicles in more than 100 auctions.
- BONHAMS - since 1793. "The Bonhams Motoring department is the largest auction house to hold auction sales of classic motor cars, motorcycles and related memorabilia. The auctions are held in conjunction with some of the most renowned global motoring events at truly charismatic locations."
- Broad Arrow Auctions - since 2021. "Collector Car Auctions." Broad Arrow Auctions, a Broad Arrow Group company, was founded by industry veterans who not only share their passion for cars but also a shared vision of bringing a new level of simplicity, transparency, and accountability within the collector car industry. Our focus is to be a leading global auction house in the collector car industry, differentiated by the quality of cars offered, the best advice based on research and data analytics, and exceptional client service.
- Copart - since 1982. "Exotic Car Auction." Are you looking to buy an exotic Ferrari, an understated Jaguar, or a luxurious Rolls-Royce? Copart has hundreds of exotic and luxury vehicles available for auction. Copart's exotic car inventory is great for finding project cars or for sourcing rare and expensive parts.
- EBAY MOTORS - since 1995. "Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for Cars & Trucks. Shop with confidence on eBay!"
- GOODING & COMPANY | PEBBLE BEACH AUCTIONS - "Since the 1950s, Pebble Beach has been the ultimate destination for passionate ambassadors of collector cars and the official auction house of the world-renowned Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Gooding & Company is recognized the world over as a leading automotive auction house specializing in the finest antique, classic, sports and racing cars. We have consistently achieved world record-breaking results, orchestrated many successful and significant private sales, provided accurate and detailed appraisals, guided estate planning and advised the custodians of some of the world’s finest automobile collections." Automotive auction house based in Santa Monica, Ca, U.S.A.
- H & H -since 1993. "Europe’s premier auctioneers of Classic & Collector Cars, Motorcycles and Automobilia." Our client database extends to over 50,000 records worldwide and its website is visited by thousands of users every day, giving them an enviable reach to both buyers and seller. Our ethos has always been one of transparency, professionalism and client service. Warrington, Cheshire, U.K.
- Hemmings - since 1954. "The World's Largest Collector Car Marketplace." The bible of the collector car hobby: We've been around since 1954, and if you can't find it in Hemmings, it probably doesn't exist!
- JAMES LIST - since 2008. "The World's Largest Luxury marketplace." The luxury marketplace to find new and preowned luxury, exotic and classic cars for sale. Search 3,171 luxury cars, exotic cars, classic cars and other supercars with large, high quality images. Search is simple and fast. Thousands of luxury and exotic cars are offered for sale by car dealers and private sellers worldwide.
- MECUM AUCTIONS - since 1988. "The World's Largest Collector Car Auctions." The world leader in live auctions of collector cars, classic cars, corvettes, hot rods, street rods and muscle cars.
- Monaco Car Auctions - since 2023. "We like to do things differently than others." A new, expert, and differentiating player in the field of exceptional car auctions from the Principality of Monaco, MonacoCarAuctions, is not arriving to do as it has always been done. Expect something new in many ways. 1 avenue Henry-Dunant, MC-98000 Monaco, Principality of Monaco.
- RÉtromobile - since 1976. "The event that makes Paris into the collectors cars capital." Rétromobile is THE event for anyone interested in vintage cars: over 600 vehicles on show, 600 exhibitors, 120 clubs, 60 artists in the "Automobile Art Gallery", and a host of exclusive events. Annual classic auto show held in February in the French city of Paris.
- RM Sotheby's - since 1979. "Classic Car Auctions." RM Sotheby's is the number one classic car and investment quality auction house in the world. We specialize in rare antique, classic, and sports & racing cars. With more than 35 years of experience, RM Sotheby's is the industry leader in the sale of collector cars. The world's finest vintage motor cars can be found at RM's annual auction events throughout North America and Europe."
- Silverstone Auctions - since 2010. "Silverstone Auctions specialise in the sale of the finest classic cars, modern supercars, all types of competition cars, modern and historic motorcycles and automobilia." Silverstone House, Kineton Rd, Gaydon, U.K.