Top 20 High-End Crab Meat | Seafood Online Stores
"I never order fish on Monday." - Anthony Bourdain.
CRAB MEAT or crabmeat is the meat found within a crab. It is used in many cuisines across the world, prized for its soft, delicate, sweet taste. Brown crab (Cancer pagurus), blue crabs (Callinectes sapidus), blue swimming crabs (Portunus pelagicus), red swimming crabs (Portunus haanii) are among the most commercially available species of crabmeat globally. In some fisheries, crab meat is harvested by declawing of crabs. This is the process whereby one or both claws of a live crab are manually pulled off and the animal is then returned to the water. The practice is defended because some crabs can naturally autotomise (shed) limbs and then about a year later after a series of moults, regenerate these limbs. It is argued that declawing therefore provides a sustainable fishery, however, declawing can lead to 47% mortality and negative effects on feeding behaviour. Furthermore, once separated from the body, the claws will start to degenerate. Usually, crabs are cooked moments after capture to ensure freshness; the freshness of claws previously removed from the crab cannot be accurately gauged and should therefore be avoided.
SEAFOOD is any form of sea life regarded as food by humans. Seafood prominently includes fish and shellfish. Shellfish include various species of molluscs, crustaceans, and echinoderms. Historically, sea mammals such as whales and dolphins have been consumed as food, though that happens to a lesser extent these days. Edible sea plants, such as some seaweeds and microalgae, are widely eaten as seafood around the world, especially in Asia (see the category of sea vegetables). In North America, although not generally in the United Kingdom, the term "seafood" is extended to fresh water organisms eaten by humans, so all edible aquatic life may be referred to as seafood. For the sake of completeness, this article includes all edible aquatic life.
Seafood News, Reviews & Resources
- 4 fish I would still eat - even after watching Seaspiracy - "The hit Netflix documentary encourages viewers to give up seafood altogether. But when it comes to a sustainable diet, I do believe in a few exceptions."
- Billions gone: what’s behind the disappearance of Alaska snow crabs? - "Authorities close snow crab season for first time as numbers of the prized seafood crash from 11bn to 2bn in four years."
- Crab blood to remain big pharma's standard as industry group rejects substitute - "Animal rights groups have been pushing a synthetic alternative to horseshoe crab blood in drug safety testing."
- CRAB MEAT - Wikipedia.
- CRAYFISH - Wikipedia.
- CRUDO - in Italian, crudo means "raw". In Italian cuisine, this word can be used with a lot of food: pesce crudo means "raw fish", and carne cruda means "raw meat", similar to steak tartare.
- ‘Fishless fish’: the next big trend in the seafood industry - "‘Alternative seafood’ is having a moment, with the rise of companies like BlueNalu and Wildtype, which has the backing of Leonardo DiCaprio."
- Galway International Oyster & Seafood Festival 2022 - "Created by city hotelier, Brian Collins in 1954, the world renowned Galway International Oyster & Seafood Festival takes place on the last full weekend in September each year. The festival is one of Ireland's oldest festivals and celebrates the native Galway oyster or 'Galway flats'." The world's longest running International Oyster Festival, taking place from 23rd-25th September 2022.
- Glenfiddich’s New Grand Series Encourages Unexpected Food Pairings, Like Caviar & Crudo - "Whisky, particularly expertly aged single malt Scotch, isn’t traditionally associated as a complement to cuisine but rather an indulgence in itself, acting as a liquid dessert, perhaps with a sweet bite of chocolate, or a night cap. Glenfiddich's latest Grand Series, however, makes a statement that single malt Scotch can in fact elevate certain culinary experiences, just as well as a dram can stand on its own."
- How to cook crab linguine - recipe - "Revive memories of Italian seaside cafes with this step-by-step guide to making classic crab linguine."
- Hunting for microplastics in your seafood - "These are the tiny plastics you eat, drink, and breathe every day."
- I never order fish on Monday - wrote Anthony Bourdain in his 1999 memoir Kitchen Confidential, explaining that restaurants typically work with supplies purchased the previous Thursday. It was a vivid insider's detail in a popular book, and it took hold.
- Inside Noryangjin, Seoul's largest indoor seafood market - CNN travel.
- Inside the Race to Build the World's First Commercial Octopus Farm - "Commercial-scale octopus aquaculture could save wild populations - but it's not only extremely difficult, it also raises major ethical concerns."
- Is this the world's best crab restaurant? - "Ministry of Crab's signature color is yellow, which is found everywhere from the walls to the coasters."
- It's time to eat more mussels - "‘Mussel’ up to a bowl of bivalves this fall. The adage of only eating oysters in months that end in R no longer holds true as advances in aquaculture have made farmed shellfish available and safe to eat year-round. However, in the case of mussels, fall is an ideal time to indulge in these succulent bivalves."
- Japan makes squid farming breakthrough as wild catches plummet - "Scientists have long sought to farm the scarce seafood staple, but critics say animals are not suited to intensive methods."
- Japanese businessman spends $1.8 million on massive tuna - "Kiyoshi Kimura, a self-described "Tuna King," who runs restaurant chain Sushi Zanmai, paid 193 million yen (about $1.8 million) for a 608-pound (276-kilogram) bluefin tuna, Japanese public broadcaster NHK reported."
- Leonardo DiCaprio & Jeff Bezos have backed this lab-grown sushi startup - "How lab-grown sushi could help tackle overfishing."
- Lobsters & crabs are sentient beings & shouldn't be boiled alive, UK report says - "Octopuses, crabs and lobsters are capable of experiencing pain or suffering, according to a review commissioned by the UK government, which has added the creatures to a list of sentient beings to be given protection under new animal welfare laws."
- Maryland Crab Sammy: a singular American sandwich - "This crab cake sandwich is almost all lump crab, delicately bound with mayonnaise and egg and seasoned with lemon, herbs and Old Bay seasoning."
- merroir - the complete set of local conditions in which seafood is raised.
- Now Millennials Are Being Accused of Killing Canned Tuna - TIME Magazine.
- Red king crab - Wikipedia.
- Sashimi - Japanese delicacy consisting of fresh raw fish or meat sliced into thin pieces and often eaten with soy sauce.
- Scientists accidentally kill world's oldest animal, a 507-year-old clam - "In the 507 years that Ming the Clam was alive at the bottom of the Norwegian Sea, the world changed. Great empires rose and fell again into the dust, the Industrial Revolution transformed human society, and two world wars claimed millions of lives."
- SEAFOOD - Wikipedia.
- Seafood to avoid at the grocery store - Greenpeace USA Red List.
- Seafood red list - Wikipedia.
- Shark finning: why the ocean's most barbaric practice continues to boom - "The recent seizure of the biggest shipment of illegal fins in Hong Kong history shows the taste for shark is still going strong."
- Shrimp - Wikipedia.
- Snow crab sells for record-breaking $46,000 in Japan - "A 'five shining star' snow crab was auctioned off in Tottori, Japan for a whopping 5 million yen ($46,000) on November 7, 2019."
- Sushi - Japanese dish of prepared vinegared rice (sushi-meshi), usually with some sugar and salt, accompanied by a variety of ingredients (neta), such as seafood, often raw, and vegetables. Styles of sushi and its presentation vary widely, but the one key ingredient is "sushi rice", also referred to as shari, or sumeshi.
- Sushi king pays record $3.1m for endangered bluefin tuna in Japan - "The winning auction bid for the enormous tuna was more than double the price fetched five years ago."
- Thailand seafood fraudsters sentenced to 1,446 years in jail - "A court in Thailand has sentenced two owners of a restaurant to 1,446 years in prison each for defrauding the public."
- The Case Against Octopus Farming - "For ethical and environmental reasons, raising octopuses in captivity for food is a bad idea."
- The crab dish with a shameful history - "The taste of Tobago in just one dish. While most of Tobago's food specialties – such as shark and bake, doubles and callaloo - originated in Trinidad, crab and dumpling is quintessential Tobago."
- The Queen of Eating Shellfish Online - "Bethany Gaskin is an American mukbang star. Eating giant crab legs for YouTube has made her a millionaire, she says."
- Three Simple Rules for Eating Seafood - The New York Times.
- Vegan seafood: The next plant-based meat trend? - Seafood is difficult to veganise well, but some companies are betting on new technologies and customers to overcome the challenges.
- Welcome to the crab capital of the world - "Welcome to Sapporo, crab capital of Japan (and maybe even the world)."
Top 20 Crab Meat | Seafood Online Stores
- Blue Star Food - "Blue Star has been proudly processing, packaging and selling pasteurized Blue Crab meat in the US since 1995. Our products are currently sold in The United States, Mexico, Canada, The Caribbean, UK, France, Singapore & Hong Kong."
- CHARLESTON SEAFOOD at Amazon's Grocery & Gourmet Food - 80 results as of October 5, 2017.
- Balik - "Specialities from the sea." 9 products.
- CASPIAN CAVIAR - "Suppliers of the finest range of caviars & gourmet foods to the great and the good."
- CAVIAR HOUSE & PRUNIER - Seafood bars worldwide.
- Citarella - since 1912. "The Seafood Authority." We go crazy for crab! Joe’s favorite soft-shell crabs bump claws with local Maryland blue. Cleaned and ready for your next Cajun Crab Boil, or just serve ‘em up with a little melted butter and lemons. Our shelled crab meat is fresh from the East Coast, cooked up ready for crabcakes, cheesy dips, or a lovely salad garnish. With a reputation built on more than 100 years of culinary excellence, Citarella is proud to offer you the best seafood, prime meats, and gourmet foods.
- CLEARWATER - since 1976. "Dedicated to Sustainable Seafood Excellence." Clearwater Snow Crab comes from the clear cold waters of the North Atlantic Ocean. They are harvested from early May to mid-September.
- COLCHESTER OYSTER FISHERY - "Suppliers of the Finest Seafood."
- Crab Meat - at Alibaba.com.
- CRAB MEAT AT AMAZON.COM'S AT GROCERY & GOURMET FOOD - 427 results as of October 5, 2017.
- crabville - "Harvesting The Best Of Chesapeake Bay."
- CRAWFISH AT AMAZON.COM'S AT GROCERY & GOURMET FOOD - 317 results as of October 5, 2017.
- DEAN & DELUCA - "Purveyors of Fine Food & Online Gourmet Suppliers Since 1977."
- E. Goodwin & Sons Seafood - "If it swims, we have it!" Crabmeat.
- Fine Food Specialist - since 2012. "Buy Fine Foods & Specialty Items." Seafood has long been a staple ingredient for gourmands, chefs and devoted foodies across the globe and here at Fine Food Specialist we share this culinary passion. Our wonderfully diverse and abundant range of fresh fish, cured and smoked fish, shellfish, sashimi and more is of the finest quality and variety. Sourced from local waters and across the globe, our spectacular selection offers something to suit every occasion and budget so enjoy browsing from our seafood category then simply take your pick from our staggering choice.
- Harvest Meat Company - "Harvest Food Distributors searches the world for the freshest and most consistent quality seafood. So, when you are looking for wild caught, farm raised, domestic, imported or value added, Harvest is your source for great seafood."
- Island Seafoods - Alaska crab. "Island Seafoods offers high quality Bristol Bay Red King Crab, Snow Crab, and Dungeness Crab from the clear, cold waters of Alaska’s Bristol Bay."
- Lobster Place - since 1974. Crab meat & shrimps.
- P & G Trading Company - "Distributors of the World's Finest Seafood." Crab meat.
- pontchartrain blue crab - since 1996. "Dedicated to processing premium-quality blue crab meat."
- SEAFOOD AT AMAZON.COM'S AT GROCERY & GOURMET FOOD - 12,727 results as of October 5, 2017.
- The Crab Place - since 1997. "Fresh Maryland Crab Meat."
- Trade-Seafood Industry Directory - Producers & Processors of Canned Crabmeat.
- W. Harvey & Sons - "Cornish Handpicked Shellfish Since 1955."