World's Most Beautiful & Spectacular Swimming Pools
"I'm an actor, not a star. Stars are people who live in Hollywood and have heart-shaped swimming pools." - Al Pacino.
"Somebody said to me, 'But the Beatles were anti-materialistic.' That's a huge myth. John and I literally used to sit down and say, 'Now, let's write a swimming pool.'" - Paul McCartney.
A SWIMMING POOL, swimming bath, wading pool, paddling pool, or simply a pool, is a container filled with water intended for swimming or water-based recreation. There are many standard sizes, the largest of which is the Olympic-size swimming pool. A pool can be built either above or in the ground, and from materials such as concrete (also known as gunite), metal, plastic or fiberglass.
Pools that may be used by many people or by the general public are called public, while pools used exclusively by a few people or in a home are called private. Many health clubs such as the YMCA, fitness centers and private clubs have public pools used mostly for exercise. Many hotels have pools available for their guests. Educational facilities such as schools and universities occasionally have pools for swimming or physical education classes, or competitive athletics such as swim team. Hot tubs and spas are pools with hot water, used for relaxation or therapy, and are common in homes, hotels, clubs and massage parlors. Swimming pools are also used for diving and other water sports, as well as for the training of lifeguards and astronauts.
Swimming Pool News, Reviews & Resources
- 9 Spectacular Superyacht Swimming Pools - "From Glass-Bottomed to Infinity Designs. These swimming pools are for more than just lounging. Some are standalone water sculptures, others are glass ceilings to decks below. All are integral to each yacht's exterior design."
- 10 Best Santorini Hotels with Infinity Pools - My 2019 Guide.
- 10 of Europe’s best holiday sites with natural pools - "From a treehouse camp in France to an organic farm in Ibiza, the author of new guide The Green Traveller picks 10 places to stay with eco swimming pools."
- 10 of the best seawater swimming pools in the UK & Europe - "From the Canaries to Norway via Brittany and Scotland, these coastal havens offer safer sea swimming without the swell of waves."
- 15 Most Beautiful Hotel Pools - "Now’s the perfect time to flee dreary midwinter weather and indulge in some poolside relaxation—find your dream destination in our roundup of the most amazing pools around the world."
- 17 jaw-dropping pools around the world - "From private villas to Japanese onsen, luxury resorts to boutique lodges, these are some of the world's most memorable, luxurious and expensive destinations to take a dip."
- 24 Amazing Pools You Need To Jump In Before You Die - BuzzFeed.
- 133 of the most beautiful swimming pools in the world - Condé Nast Traveller.
- 207-year-old historic outdoor swimming pool reopens in England - "With its honey-colored stone, crescent-shaped changing rooms, still water and idyllic location on the banks of the Avon river in Bath, England, Cleveland Pools seems to have been plucked from the pages of a Jane Austen novel or an episode of 'Bridgerton.'"
- 210-meter-high infinity pool is almost complete - "How Dubai is building one of the world's highest infinity pools."
- A bigger splash: Britain’s love affair with the swimming pool - "The history of swimming pools in Britain reveals a social, communal, sensual story, as a new show at the V&A reveals."
- A photographic history of swimming pools - CNN style.
- aerial shots of German public swimming pools - "German photographer Stephan Zirwes started capturing public swimming pools from the air in 2015. 'They are very structured,' he says. 'The lanes, the diving platforms - I love the geometrical forms.' But he was not just captivated by the aesthetic qualities of the pools - it was also about what they represent."
- 'An antidote to city life': the rise of chemical-free pools - "Fans of wild swimming have been evangelical about natural water for years - and more cities are taking the plunge with chlorine-free public pools."
- Berlin's stunning indoor public pools - "The hidden beauty of Berlin's indoor pools. The German capital is dotted with more than 60 public indoor swimming pools, and many of them are so stunning and tranquil they feel like you're swimming in an ornate library."
- best public swimming pools around the world - "From Bondi to Berlin and Copenhagen to Cornwall, swimming pools - particularly outdoor ones - are always in demand. Dominic Lutyens dives in and explores the pool's past, present and future."
- BEST SUPERYACHT POOLS IN THE WORLD - "Superyacht swimming pools represent the ultimate spot for onboard relaxation and some of the world’s biggest yacht builders have taken novel approaches to this challenge. We take a closer look at some of the finest examples, including favourites Flying Fox, Madsummer and Octopus..."
- Calmer swimming pool after ticket price hike for outsiders - "A 60 percent increase in the price of entry for the Stade Nautique Rainier III swimming pool on Port Hercule, Monaco has infuriated some users but made others very happy."
- Clean Up Summer With Self-Driving Roomba for Your Pool - Wired.
- Compass Pools - "Inground Fibreglass Swimming Pools." We can build a swimming pool almost anywhere from hillsides, cliffs and even apartment rooftops!
- Dive Into The World’s Largest Superyacht Swimming Pools - "Superyacht Sneak Peek: World’s Largest Superyacht Swimming Pools."
- France’s art deco jewel is reborn to make an even bigger splash - "Millions have been to the converted pool in the depressed town of Roubaix since it opened as a museum. Now a major expansion secures its future."
- He bought a movie star's home in France & paid $300,000 to fix the pool - "The home had once belonged to French actress Danielle Darrieux, who appeared in over 100 films throughout her eight-decade career, during the 1950s. The swimming pool, thought to have been built in 1938, had once been a popular hangout spot, and many recalled being taught to swim there."
- How Sunscreen Became Controversial - "Wearing sunscreen every day sounds like a no-brainer piece of health advice. Research suggests regular sunscreen use reduces the risk of potentially deadly skin cancers like melanoma, as well as visible signs of skin aging. The American Academy of Dermatology states its position in no uncertain terms: Everyone should wear sunscreen every day they’ll be outside. But there’s been mounting pushback to that idea in recent years, mainly due to concerns about the health risks associated with chemicals in many popular sunscreens."
- How the colour of your swimsuit can save your life - "Colours change to a surprising degree when submerged underwater, so what you and your children wear in the water can make a difference in an emergency."
- Incredible infinity pools around the world - The Telegraph.
- London's new see-through Sky Pool is first of its kind - "For some, flailing around in a clear box suspended 115 feet above the streets of London is the stuff of nightmares. For others, it's the ultimate status symbol."
- London ‘sky pool’ among wave of ever more implausible designs - "Controversial creation is latest in what has been described as a ‘golden age’ of swimming pools."
- Make Swimming Your Summer Workout - " With just 30 minutes and a few useful tricks, a trip to the pool can become serious exercise."
- New York greenlights floating public pool on the East River - "The proposal, dubbed '+ Pool,' will see a 285,500-gallon public pool built on a floating island. Layers of 'filtration membranes' will make the water safe for swimming while simultaneously cleaning the surrounding river, according to project organizers, who say the pool will clean 600,000 gallons of river water every day."
- Reflecting pool - water feature found in gardens, parks, and at memorial sites. It usually consists of a shallow pool of water, undisturbed by fountain jets, for a reflective surface.
- Running vs swimming: Which burns more calories? - "We crunched the numbers and the results surprised us. If you tot up the maths, you could burn an estimated 130-400 kcal swimming for 30 minutes versus 189-318 kcal for a run, depending on intensity and speed. There isn’t much in it, but you’d need to put more effort into your swim than your run to yield the same calorie burn. Our verdict? Running and swimming are different exercises with their own range of benefits, but if you're looking to burn calories fast, running might just have the edge over swimming, depending on your effort."
- So How Much Urine Is Really in Public Pools? - "Chemists devised a new proxy for measuring the amount of urine in swimming pools."
- Sky pool - at Embassy Gardens, Nine Elms, London, U.K.
- Swimming pool - Wikipedia.
- the world's most beautiful private pools - "When the heat gets too unbearable, a little bit of summer dreaming can be just what the day demands. from spectacular ocean views to personal spas, we dove into our archives to find the private pools we’d most like to jump into right now. so sit back, relax, and enjoy, just remember to reapply that sunscreen." designboom.
- Top 10 seawater swimming pools in Europe - "From rocky openings created by natural forces to feats of architecture, here are some of the most beautiful places for a seawater swim around Europe."
- What are the best cities for swimming? - CNN travel.
- world's 50 most Instagrammable pools - The Telegraph.
- world's 'biggest & deepest' swimming pool is to be built in the UK. It will descend 164 feet - "The aptly named Blue Abyss pool will be built in Cornwall, south west England, and will hold 42 million liters of water -- equivalent to that of 17 Olympic size swimming pools, or 168 million cups of tea, the company said."
- world's deepest diving pool in Poland - "Deepspot is a diving pool that goes 45.5m (150ft) down and provides a space for divers to train."
- 'World's deepest' swimming pool opens in Poland - "With a depth of over 45 meters (around 148 feet) Deepspot is claimed to be the world's deepest swimming pool, containing 8,000 cubic meters of water - more than 20 times the amount as a 25-meter pool. Scuba divers can plunge to brand new depths without setting foot in the ocean thanks to a multi-million dollar facility that's just opened in Poland."
- World's deepest pool opens in Dubai, part of huge underwater city - "Already home to the world's tallest skyscraper and the world's largest mall, Dubai has just opened another record-breaking attraction - the deepest dive pool in the world."
- World's deepest pool to open in Poland - "How low can you go? When the world's deepest pool opens in Poland later this year, complete with underwater caves and overhangs, you'll be able to go as low as 45 meters (148 feet)."
- 'World's first' 360-degree infinity pool - "London to get 'world's first' infinity pool with 360-degree views."
- World's first see-through Sky Pool should be CLOSED in the winter after angry south London residents slammed its £150k heating bill - "Residents of Embassy Gardens, in Nine Elms, say the pool's water is too cold. They claim it costs £164,250 to keep the 375 tons of water warm throughout year. The Sky Pool sits on the 10th floor between two luxury residential tower blocks. Property's developer said the pool is popular and kept at 30C throughout year. The transparent floating 85ft acrylic pool holds almost 400 tons of water."
- world's highest infinity pool has opened in Dubai - "Named in March as the world's tallest infinity pool inside a building, the rooftop bathing spot at the newly opened Address Beach Resort is a vertiginous 293.906 meters high (964 feet and 3.1 inches)."
- world’s most dramatic saltwater ‘sea pools’ - "Found on coastlines around the world, man-made “sea pools” are designed to offer swimmers a safe haven from the dangers of rough waters and unpredictable currents. From Australia’s 82-foot beachside Avalon Rock Pool to the 'Mermaid Pool' in Cornwall, UK, they can provide a serene saltwater oasis against a backdrop of crashing ocean waves."
- World's Most Mind-Blowing Hotel Pools - Far & Wide.
Top 10 Most Spectacular Swimming Pools
- Piscine Molitor - since 1929. Swimming pool and hotel complex located in Porte Molitor, 16th arrondissement of Paris, Île-de-France, Paris, France. It is next to the park Bois de Boulogne, and between Stade Roland Garros and Parc des Princes. The complex was built in 1929 and inaugurated by Olympic swimmers Aileen Riggin and Johnny Weissmuller. The pool is known for its Art Deco designs and the popular introduction of the bikini by Louis Réard on 5 July 1946. 4, rue Nungesser et Coli, 75016 Paris, France.
- San Alfonso del Mar - private resort in Algarrobo, Chile. The swimming pool measures 1,013 meters (3,323 ft) in length, covers an area of eight hectares (20 acres), contains 250,000 cubic meters of water and is recognized as the WORLD'S LARGEST SWIMMING POOL.
- The Sky Pool - "A crystal clear, 25-metre-long pool that seems to float in the air." There’s no other pool in the world like this one. Embassy Gardens residents and their guests will have exclusive access to the world-famous Sky Pool and London’s finest rooftop spaces for rest, relaxation and socialising - the Orangery and Sky Deck. Embassy Gardens, New Union Square, 5 Nine Elms Lane, London SW8 5BL, U.K.
- The Swimming Pool at Golden Nugget Hotel - Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A. There are two great pools at the Golden Nugget. The first one is The Tank, which boasts an enclosed three-story water slide allows guests to practically swim with the sharks. Maintained by the hotel's Life Sciences Department, it houses 300 animals from around the world, including six species of elasmobranchs (sharks and rays) and bony fishes.
- The Swimming Pool at Hanging Gardens Ubud - jungle pool in Ubud Hanging Gardens Luxury Resorts, Desa Buahan, Payangan, Bali.
- The Swimming Pool at Holiday Inn Shanghai Pudong Kangqiao - Pudong New Area, Shanghai, China. Features a startling 24th storey overhang swimming pool, glass bottom and all which apparently makes you feel like you’re "swimming over the air".
- The Swimming Pool at Hotel Villa Honegg - Ennetbürgen, Switzerland. Heated and air conditioned using lake water. The water is pumped from Lake Lucerne at Kehrsiten and taken to Bürgenstock to supply the heating and air conditioning systems at the hotel.
- The Swimming Pool at Katikies Hotel - Oia, Santorini, Greece. A complex of bridges, cubist cottages and infinity pools. Considered the grande dame of Santorini’s boutique hotels.
- The Swimming Pool at Marina Bay Sands - Singapore. "Imagine soaking in the world’s largest rooftop infinity pool and gazing down on the glittering expanse of the city from 57 levels above." Ultimate luxury and breathtaking views. Experience Sands SkyPark and the stunning Infinity Pool. From it you can gaze out upon an amazing view of the Singapore skyline—and straight down a 57-story plunge to the ground.
- The Swimming Pool at Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort - Monte-Carlo, Monaco. The lagoon and swimming pools at the Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort. The beautiful landscaped gardens feature a magnificent lagoon with cascades, jacuzzis and vast sun terraces. A first for Europe, this lagoon with its pale sandy bottom inspires a sense of weightlessness, leisure and total relaxation. It is complemented by an indoor swimming pool area with children’s paddling pool, and a hammam and jacuzzi next to the Cinq Mondes SPA.
- The Swimming Pool at Ritz-Carlton - Hong Kong. On the 118th floor. The World’s Highest Swimming Pool.
- The Swimming Pool at Westin Maui Resort & Spa - Maui, Hawaii, U.S.A. Features an 87,000 square-foot aquatic playground with 5 pools, spa tubs hidden by tropical waterfall gardens and a 128-foot water slide.
- WORLD'S DEEPEST INDOOR SWIMMING POOL - Nemo 33, Brussels, Belgium. 33 meters, 115 feet deep.