Top 15 High-End Pearl Jewellers and Famous Pearls
"Pearls are always appropriate." - Jackie O.
"A woman needs ropes and ropes of pearls." - Coco Chanel.
"All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster's autobiography." - Federico Fellini.
A PEARL is a hard object produced within the soft tissue (specifically the mantle) of a living shelled mollusk. Just like the shell of a clam, a pearl is made up of calcium carbonate in minute crystalline form, which has been deposited in concentric layers. The ideal pearl is perfectly round and smooth, but many other shapes of pearls (baroque pearls) occur. The finest quality natural pearls have been highly valued as gemstones and objects of beauty for many centuries, and because of this, the word pearl has become a metaphor for something very rare, fine, admirable, and valuable.
Famous Legendary Pearls, News & Resources
- 7 queens star in Sotheby’s show of power, prestige & pearls - "Exhibition brings together portraits, many held in private collections, of queens from Tudor times onwards."
- 10 most iconic jewels through history - "'Cursed' gemstones, beautiful emblems of famous love affairs, and symbols of dark histories - all these dazzling jewels have intriguing backstories, writes Daisy Woodward."
- 12 of the best pearl accessories - in pictures - "Timeless and classic, pearls add a level of elegance to almost any outfit. As a multi-tasking accessory, they reign supreme."
- Barbara Hutton / Marie Antoinette Pearl Necklace
- BARODA PEARLS - the most important pearl necklace ever seen at auction.
- Baroque pearl - pearls with an irregular non-spherical shape. Shapes can range from minor aberrations to distinctly ovoid, curved, pinch, or lumpy shapes.
- Beyond the perfect strand - the modern way to wear pearls.
- Conch Pearls - Wikipedia.
- Cowdray Pearls - "One of Nature’s Most Opulent Creations."
- Cultured pearl - a pearl created by a pearl farmer under controlled conditions.
- Daisy Buchanan's $4.7 Million Pearl Necklace - Forbes.
- FAMOUS PEARLS - "The World's Largest Pearl Information Source."
- How an iridescent gem changed the face of Qatar - "Before Qatar first struck 'black gold' in 1939, life in the Gulf revolved around pearls. These iridescent gems of the deep shaped the culture, politics, regional relations and fortunes of its inhabitants over more than 7,000 years - not least Qatar’s ruling Al Thani family, who were the dominant force in the local pearling industry at its peak around the turn of the 20th century."
- Jackie Kennedy Triple-Strand Faux Pearl Necklace - "The Jacqueline Kennedy Collection 30" Triple Pearl Necklace is a replica of the strand of faux pearls inherited by Jackie in 1957 from her mother. Designed by Coco Chanel. The clasp became known as 'Coco’s Rose.'" Available at The Kennedy Center: US$180.
- Jackie Kennedy's Legendary 3 Strand Faux Pearl Necklace - US$211,500.
- LA PEREGRINA PEARL - one of the most famous pearls in the world. Its history spans almost 500 years. Most recently, the pearl belonged to Elizabeth Taylor.
- La Peregrina: The world's most famous pearl - "It was worn by kings and queens in paintings - and eaten by Elizabeth Taylor's puppy. Matthew Wilson traces a history of La Peregrina - and of pearls in art."
- Marie Antoinette pearl necklace - "Marie Antoinette's Pearls Break Auction Records in Geneva." The sale of jewellery from the Bourbon Parma family was 100% sold last night in Geneva, and led by pieces owned by Queen Marie Antoinette of unrivalled historic provenance. The ten pieces from her collection reached a total of CHF 43.1 million ($42.7 million) against a pre-sale estimate of CHF 1.6–2.9 million ($1.6–2.9 million).
- Marilyn Monroe Shows Off Prized Mikimoto Pearls From Joe DiMaggio - JCK Magazine.
- Marlm - "On MARLM, you will find the most beautiful pearl pieces from all over the world. Learn about the collectors and see their private collections. MARLM is proud to feature pieces from leading jewellers, private collections, auction houses, estates, and museums."
- Mary Tudor pearl - measures 258.12 grains (64.5 carats, 69.8 carats with its diamond cap) making it the third-largest (documented) well-formed natural pearl drop.
- Melo Melo Pearls - Wikipedia.
- Natural pearl - fine quality natural pearls are very rare jewels. Their values are determined similarly to those of other precious gems, according to size, shape, color, quality of surface, orient and luster.
- PEARL - Wikipedia.
- Pearl by Pearl, She Built a Jewelry Career - "The stringing, repair and redesign of pearls are a deeply held passion for Renata Terjeki, one of the few remaining artists of her kind."
- Pearl claimed as world's oldest is to be exhibited in Abu Dhabi - "Archaeologists say natural pearl was found on island off capital of United Arab Emirates."
- Pearl farming in Japan - in pictures - "Japan still dominates the global cultured pearl market, despite a fall in specialised pearl farmers. In the past 10 years it has produced annually about 20 tonnes of farmed pearls."
- PEARL-GUIDE - "The World's Largest Pearl Information Source."
- Robert Wan Museum - "The world's only museum dedicated to pearls." Tahiti.
- THE HISTORY OF PEARLS - the perfect pearl.
- The story of Elizabeth Taylor's La Peregrina Pearl - The Telegraph.
- The world's most expensive pearls - Marlm.
- What You Need To Know About Pearls, June’s Birthstone, And 5 High-Jewelry Pieces To Inspire You - Forbes.
Top 15 High-End Pearl Jewellers
- Akoya Pearls - since 1893. Mikomoto.
- AUTORE - since 1991. South Sea Pearls | Pearl Jewellery.
- BALDINI PEARLS - "Created by Christophe Roquigny in 1997 in Moorea and transfered in Bora Bora in 2004."
- Fallon - since 2008. "Modern Pearls."
- Laura Perles - "Welcome to the world of Tahitian Black Pearl, highlighted by best quality golden and silver jewellery."
- Linneys - since 1972. Pearl strands.
- LOUIS GOLAY - "Swiss jewelers since 1887." Comprehensive range of cultured pearls and pearl jewellery.
- MIKIMOTO - "Since Kokichi Mikimoto succeeded in creating the world’s first cultured pearl in 1893, MIKIMOTO has been dedicated to presenting only the finest quality cultured pearls. The MIKIMOTO sorting process and proprietary grading system assures that every customer acquires only the most superb gems and pearl jewelry."
- MISAKI - since 1987. "Innovative Pearl Jewellery."
- PASPALEY - since 1932. "Paspaley is proud to be recognised as the source of the most beautiful and valuable pearls in the world."
- Perles de Tahiti - Moea pearls.
- Pearl Paradise - "Luxurious Pearl Necklaces." Pearl Jewelry Over 80% Off Of Retail. Founded in 1996 and brought online in 2000, Pearl Paradise has grown into the world's largest online pearl company.
- Robert Wan - since 1974. "Best Tahitian Pearls." Known as The Emperor of the Tahitian Pearl, produces the most exquisite Pearl in the World since the past 40 years
- Rosendorff - "Excellence since 1963."
- Taaroa Bijoux - since 2000. Tahitian & Australian South Sea & Taaroa pearls. Online jewelry from French Polynesia.
- The PEARL Source - since 1991. "The Pearl Source is known for its exquisite collection of high-end pearl necklaces."
- Winterson - since 2010. "Luxury Pearl Jewellery." Discover the beautiful collection of pearl jewellery at Winterson. A classic gem and a perfect gift for every occasion, pearls have been our inspiration for over 50 years. Our experience means that we know how to present the unique qualities of each pearl perfectly.
- Yvel - since 1986. "Yvel has captured the hearts of pearl lovers worldwide, winning the Town & Country Couture Design Award for three years in a row in 2005, 2006 and 2007."