Top 10 (Alternative) Android & iOS Mobile Apps Stores
An APP STORE (or app marketplace) is a type of digital distribution platform for computer software, often in a mobile context. Apps provide a specific set of functions which, by definition, do not include the running of the computer itself. Apps are designed to run on specific devices, and are written for a specific operating system (such as iOS, macOS, Windows, or Android). Complex software designed for use on a personal computer, for example, may have a related app designed for use on a mobile device.
Such a mobile app may offer similar, if limited, functionality compared to the complete software running on the computer. Apps optimize the appearance of displayed data, taking into consideration the device screen size and resolution. Besides providing continuity of functionality over two different types of devices, such apps may also be capable of a file synchronization between two dissimilar devices, even between two different operating system platforms. App stores typically organize the apps they offer based on these considerations: the function(s) provided by the app (including games, multimedia or productivity), the device for which the app was designed, and the operating system on which the app will run.
App stores typically take the form of an online store, where users can browse through these different app categories, view information about each app (such as reviews or ratings), and acquire the app (including app purchase, if necessary - many apps are offered at no cost). The selected app is offered as an automatic download, after which the app installs. Some app stores may also include a system to automatically remove an installed program from devices under certain conditions, with the goal of protecting the user against malicious software.
Top 10 (Alternative) Android & iOS App Stores for Smartphones & Tablets
- AMAZON APPSTORE FOR ANDROID - mobile application store for the Google Android operating system and was opened on March 22, 2011. It was launched with around 3,800 applications. These applications can be either free or paid. 325,052 results as of December 03, 2017.
- App Store - opened on July 10, 2008, with an initial 500 applications available. As of 2017, the store features over 2.1 million apps. Digital distribution platform for mobile apps on iOS, developed and maintained by Apple Inc. The apps can be downloaded directly to an iOS device, or onto a personal computer via iTunes. Applications in "The App Store" are targeted at iOS devices, including iPhones and iPads, and may make use of specific attributes of those devices, such as motion sensors for game controls and cameras for online video calling. Apps may be downloaded for free or for a set cost, and they may include in-app monetization (costs levied through buyable features and/or advertising). Apple takes 30 percent of all revenue generated through apps, and 70 percent goes to the app's publisher. Since its 2008 release, App Store has generated over $70 billion in revenue for developers.
- APPOLICIOUS - since 2009. "Appolicious is a mobile app discovery service dedicated to helping consumers and businesses find iOS and Android applications."
- BLACKBERRY WORLD - since 2009. "Download apps to play games, check the weather, listen to the radio and more. Choose some free apps, or purchase one right from your BlackBerry smartphone."
- GOOGLE PLAY - launched on March 6, 2012. (Formerly the Android Market). The Google Play store had over 82 billion app downloads in 2016 and has reached over 2.7 million apps published in 2017. "Gives you one place to find, enjoy, & share Apps, Music, Movies & Books - instantly anywhere across the web & android devices. Google Play is your entertainment hub."
- Hot App Finder - "The Hot App Finder automatically searches the Apple AppStore and finds the hottest apps for you!" Get the hottest apps of the Apple AppStore now!
- Know Your Meme - "Internet Meme Database." Website dedicated to documenting Internet phenomena: viral videos, image macros, catchphrases, web celebs and more.
- LG Smart World - "LG SmartWorld offers various types of mobile contents and applications, such as game, education, travel, communication and multimedia, to help you enjoy a far more exciting mobile life."
- Mac App Store Downloads on iTunes
- Nuance Mobile apps - "Mobile apps for life, work, play." Apps that control your mobile phone by voice. Predictive touch technology that anticipates the words you're about to type. Intelligent features that automatically switch you to hands-free access on the go. We don't just create technology - we create experiences.
- Samsung Apps via Galaxy Apps & SmartHub - "Give all your Samsung devices an App Makeover." Download the latest game-changing apps via GALAXY Apps on your mobile device and via SmartHub on your TV.