Top 60 High-End Travel Books, Guides and Magazines
A guide book or TRAVEL GUIDE is "a book of information about a place, designed for the use of visitors or tourists". Travel guides can also take the form of travel websites.
It will usually include full details relating to accommodation, restaurants, transportation, and activities. Maps of varying detail and historical and cultural information are often included. Different kinds of guide books exist, focusing on different aspects of travel, from adventure travel to relaxation, or aimed at travelers with different incomes, or focusing on sexual orientation or types of diet.
A travel website is a website on the world wide web, that is dedicated to travel. The site may be focused on travel reviews, the booking of travel, or a combination of both. Approximately seventy million consumers researched travel plans online in July 2006. Travel bookings are the single largest component of e-commerce, according to Forrester Research.
Travel Media News, Reviews & Resources
- 10 BEST TRAVEL GUIDES - "Trusted Advice for Travelers."
- 10 of the world’s best city views: readers’ travel tips - "These stunning viewpoints put the fun into funiculars and the drama into panorama – and many have art, bars and cafes to enjoy, too."
- 10 Travel Writers, 10 Favorite Hotels - "From an English country inn to a Caribbean beach resort, places our correspondents love to stay (you will like them too)."
- 12 cities you must visit in 2016 - a month-by-month guide.
- 20 best travel books of all time - The Telegraph.
- 111 Places That You Must Not Miss - Guidebooks for Locals & Experienced Travelers.
- 1000 Places to See Before You Die
- 2016 Best Travel Books - The New York Times.
- A Traveler’s Guide to Taking a Smartphone Abroad - The New York Times.
- Best Times to Visit Copenhagen for Great Weather, Lower Prices & Fewer Crowds - "These are the best times to visit Copenhagen for every type of traveler." Travel + Leisure.
- Distance Calculator - tool for calculating distance between cities or places on map. Please write the origin and destination city name, choose the distance unit and press calculate. You can change the unit of distance any time you want, to miles, kilometers or meters.
- Get the best of Lonely Planet straight to your inbox - "Sign up here to receive email from Lonely Planet for all your travel inspiration, tips and exclusive offers. Simply complete your details below and hit 'sign up'."
- Global Travel Trends Report 2021 - "'As we look ahead to a return to travel later this year, we asked travelers from seven different countries including Australia, Canada, Mexico, Japan, India, the United Kingdom and the United States, about what’s on their minds as they plan for or dream about their next trip. While individual sentiments differ, one thing is clear: there’s a pent-up demand for travel and a clear appreciation for the benefits that it can bring. In fact, people miss traveling so much that 76% of respondents surveyed are creating their destinations wish list for future travel even though they might not be able to travel yet.'"
- How to Travel Virtually to U.S. National Parks - "Travel Virtually To U.S. National Parks, Including Ones You Probably Wouldn’t Otherwise Get To. With VR and 360-degree videos, you can now immerse yourself in environments that give you a real sense of place without actually being there."
- How to visit Amsterdam while stuck at home in lockdown - "You can still explore this unique city’s culture from your laptop, says Hans Rooseboom, curator of photography at the Rijksmuseum."
- Lonely Planet closures point to an uncertain future - "As the travel publisher closes its Melbourne and London offices, a guidebook writer asks what’s next for an industry in crisis."
- Lonely Planet's top 10 cities to visit in 2019 - "With its modern design, 15 Michelin-starred restaurants and extremely bike-friendly culture, it's no surprise that Denmark's capital has topped Lonely Planet's top 10 cities to visit in 2019 list."
- Rough Guides launches tailormade trips as part of major overhaul - "Guidebook publisher moves away from book sales to become a tech platform providing bespoke holiday service that aims to ‘change the way people travel’."
- Smythson of Bond Street - since 1887. Panama Notebook Emerald 'Travel and Experiences'.
- Thomas Cook Travel Book Award - "The Thomas Cook Travel Book Award originated as an initiative of Thomas Cook AG in 1980, with the aim of encouraging and rewarding the art of literary travel writing. The awards stopped in 2005 (2004 being the last year an award was given)."
- What hotel star ratings actually mean today - "There isn't a single answer to the question of what star ratings actually mean, since there are so many systems shaped by so many factors. Some tourism marketers now even give exceptional luxury properties an unofficial six-star designation. (Think stunning over-water villas in the Maldives with private butlers). And bear in mind not all of a brand's properties are created equal when making assumptions about a chain's star category - newer hotels are usually more modern and deserving of a higher rating."
- What travel writers are reading right now - "Tim Ecott asks fellow travel writers which books are helping them to spread their wings and escape the lockdown – in their imaginations at least."
Top 60 High-End Travel Blogs, Books, Guides & Magazines
- adventurous kate - since 2010. "The Solo Female Travel Blog."
- ANDREW HARPER - the ultimate resource for the luxury traveller.
- BAEDECKER ONLINE - Baedeker was and remains the world’s most famous guidebook for travellers. Since Karl Baedeker founded the company in 1827, Baedekers have set a benchmark for guidebooks.
- BLACKBOOK MAGAZINE AND CITY GUIDES - hotels, restaurants, travel, nightlife, fashion, shopping, reviews, celebrities.
- BOOTSNALL TRAVEL NETWORK - established 1998. "One-Stop Indie Travel Guide. We are community of travelers with a focus on Around the World Travel."
- BUSINESS TRAVELLER - the latest business travel news, including hotel reviews, destination information, airline reports and the latest travel discount offers.
- CONDÉ NAST TRAVELLER - expert travel guides to the stylish destinations.
- CNN BUSINESS TRAVELLER - hosted by Richard Quest.
- CONCIERGE.COM - "Inspired travel starts here." Travel guides, hotel reviews, vacation ideas, and trip-planning tools.
- ELITE TRAVELER MAGAZINE - the private jet lifestyle magazine.
- EXPATIFY.COM - Inspiring Expatriatism. "We are the types of people who are always dreaming of living someplace else. It’s like dreaming about traveling, but more about dreaming becoming a part of a culture and experiencing what life is like in foreign (for now) places. With these dreams, we hope to inspire people to dream, investigate and experience what life is like in their choice of foreign country."
- Fielding's Travel Guides Series - Barnes&Noble.
- FODOR'S TRAVEL GUIDES - "Plan Your Trip Online."
- FORBES TRAVEL GUIDE - "The Gold Standard of Travel Ratings and Reviews."
- FROMMER'S - "The Best Trips Start Here!"
- GAYOT - "The Guide to the Good Life: provides the latest up-to-date information on food, wine and travel."
- GADLING - travel blog | news, stories, deals, and tips.
- GOURMET MAGAZINE - focuses on good living, travel, entertaining, and culture.
- HAMPTONS MAGAZINE - attempts to cover the best that the Hamptons has to offer.
- JAUNTED - "Pop culture travel guide for globetrotters, business road dogs, and arm chair travelers who are too harried to sit down with a traditional travel guide, or wait for a monthly travel magazine. Our daily web magazine is a pop culture travel review for a generation that possesses a small attention span."
- Jet Setting on a Dime - "A life consumed by curiosity that has driven me to discover and experience so much around the world that begs to be shared with others."
- JETSET REPORT - "JetSetReport aims to bring travel back to its Golden Age. We keep you current with what is hot and new now."
- LONELY PLANET - since 1972. The largest travel guide book publisher in the world. "LonelyPlanet.com is a network of connections between travellers. To get hardcore about travel. To dream about it, plan it, book it and talk about it. They come to shop, to read features, to enter competitions, to watch videos. They come to find a job, share advice, read reviews."
- LOUIS VUITTON CITY GUIDES - since 1854. "For urban nomads or armchair travellers alike, the limited edition box set of this year's 15 featured cities is available in a beautiful lacquered wood case and a choice of three bright colours. Its clean lines will delight discerning travellers everywhere."
- Luxury Travel Advisor - since 2005. "Inspiring and Educating Sellers of Affluent Travel." Created to address the needs of luxury travel professionals, Luxury Travel Advisor targets a focused audience of proven bookers. Editorially, Luxury Travel Advisor provides an environment dedicated to the unique requirements and expertise of the carriage-trade agent.
- Luxury Travel Magazine - "Inspiration for Discerning Travelers".
- MICHELIN GUIDES - since 1900. A series of annual hotel and restaurant guides published by Michelin for over a dozen countries.
- MOBIL TRAVEL GUIDE - reviews and ratings of the best hotels, restaurants, spas and other destinations from the most trusted name in travel.
- MOLESKINE TRAVEL NOTEBOOKS - "Ideal for both visitors and city dwellers alike, this guidebook lets you organize things you want to keep for future reference or for your records such as the names and addresses of restaurants, shops, friends, hotels, or tourist sites.
The Key Map summarizes the overall layout of the city, including large-scale maps of the city centre, an alphabetical street index, and map of the metro system."
- MONOCLE TRAVEL GUIDES - "The Monocle Travel Guide series reveals our favourite places in each city we cover, from the ideal route for an early-morning run to the best spots for independent retail. Full of surprises and quirks, they also feature detailed design and architecture pages, neighbourhood walks to get you away from the crowds and our favourite places to eat everything from tasty fast food or something truly celebratory."
- Official Aviation Guide of the Airways - since 1929. "Definitive flight information, aviation intelligence and analytics." OAG is a global flight information and data solutions company for passenger aviation, air cargo logistics and business travel.
- PLANETWARE TRAVEL GUIDE - hotels, attractions, pictures, maps & more.
- Purple Passport - "Our mission is to offer you the most honest, up-to-date, handpicked travel information for the world's most exciting cities." Web-based collection of chic, one-stop-shop guides to experiencing the world's cities in style. The site was born out of a passion for travel, a love of the world's great cities, and a desire to spread the word.
- ROAD & TRAVEL MAGAZINE - automotive & travel resource for the non-enthusiast.
- Rough Guides - since 1982. Cover more than 200 destinations. "Find a destination, look for inspiration, read features and get great travel advice, from Rough Guides – the leading publisher of travel and reference guides."
- SATW | SOCIETY OF AMERICAN TRAVEL WRITERS - travel's most trusted voices.
- SAVEUR - authentic recipes, food, drinks, and travel.
- SPA FINDER MAGAZINE - the global spa & wellness resource.
- STAR DIAMOND WORLD MAGAZINE
- SUNDAY TIMES ONLINE TOURISM & TRAVEL GUIDES
- T (NEW YORK TIMES) - a perfect-bound magazine dedicated to fashion, living, beauty, holiday, travel and design coverage.
- T MAGAZINE BLOG (NEW YORK TIMES) - blog dedicated to fashion, living, beauty, holiday, travel and design coverage.
- Temple Fielding - (1913–1983). Noted travel writer.
- Time Out - since 1968. Includes magazines, websites, apps, guidebooks and other commercial products, is a global publishing and ecommerce business aimed at helping people to make the most of their city. The magazine, apps and sites contain information on events in film, theatre, fashion, literature, other artistic events, eating out and nights out. As of 2014 there were 46 editions in 30 countries, with a combined audience of 28m people.
- TRAVEL + LEISURE MAGAZINE - vacation guides, travel articles, hotel recommendations, trip ideas, tips, and deals.
- TRAVEL TO WELLNESS - the e-magazine for the wellness-minded traveller.
- TRAVELGIRL MAGAZINE - leisure, travel and lifestyle advice for women.
- Traveller - "Your destination for travel inspiration."
- TRIPADVISOR - "World's most trusted travel advice." Holiday reviews: hotels, resorts and holiday packes.
- TRIPWOLF - "Your worldwide travel guide."
- TTG LIVE - the website for Travel Trade Gazette, the UK's top publication for travel agents and the travel and tourism industry.
- TTG LUXURY - luxury travel news for premium travel professionals.
- Travel Lady - "Since 1994 Travellady Magazine has published over 15,000 articles written by over 200 professional travel writer on five continents. Our writer have 'Been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt."
- VAGABONDISH - "Essentials & ephemera for the curious traveler / The Travelzine for Today's Vagabond."
- VIA MICHELIN - Michelin Guide hotel, restaurant and tourist recommendations and weather and traffic reports.
- WALLPAPER CITY GUIDES
- WANDERLUST MAGAZINE - British travel magazine, covering adventurous, cultural and special interest travel.
- WHATS ON WHEN - worldwide event guide and travel inspiration.
- WHERE TO STAY - Caribbean travel guide & reviews since 1995.
- WIKIVOYAGE - Free travel information around the globe. Wikimedia's newest project
- WORLD TRAVEL GUIDE - "Travel in style with the official World Travel Guide, the best destination guides from experts who hand pick where to stay, eat and visit plus how to get there."
- World’s top 500 sights revealed in Lonely Planet’s Ultimate Travelist 2015
- Your passport to a better trip - The Telegraph.