Top 50 Best Bespoke / Made-To-Measure Shirtmakers
BESPOKE is a British English word that means a clothing item made to a buyer's specification (personalised or tailored). While the term historically is applied to only men's tailored clothing, it now generally includes footwear, fine jewellery and other apparel, implying measurement and fitting. For most non-clothing items, the term build to order is usually used instead, although the term 'bespoke applications' is often used to refer to custom software built by a company for its own use by a department other than the IT department.
The distinguishing points of bespoke tailoring are the buyer's total control over the fabric used, the features and fit, and the way the garment should be made. More generally, "bespoke" describes a high degree of customisation, and involvement of the end-user, in the production of the goods. Cad & the Dandy, a modern Savile Row tailor, describes true bespoke as having a full floating canvas, basted fitting and detailed hand finishing.
MADE-TO-MEASURE typically refers to clothing that is sewn from a standard-sized base pattern. A tailored suit is a common example of a made-to-measure garment. The fit of a made-to-measure garment is expected to be superior to that of a ready-to-wear garment, because ready-to-wear garments are constructed to fit the manufacturer's definition of an average customer, while made-to-measure garments are constructed to fit each customer individually. However, made-to-measure items are seen by many to involve less workmanship than bespoke or "custom made" garments, as made-to-measure garments always involve some form of standardization in the patterning and manufacturing processes, whereas a bespoke garment is made entirely from scratch based on a customer's specifications. Typically, a made-to-measure garment will be more expensive than ready-to-wear garment but cheaper than a bespoke one.
Bespoke Shirtmakers News, Reviews & Resources
- $100 Shirt vs $1000 Shirt Comparison | Kirby Allison - "Whats the difference between a $100 Carolina Herrera shirt off the rack, and a $1000 bespoke Charvet shirt made in Paris? Kirby Allison goes through all the details that separate shirts at these different price points, and gives you tips on how to look out for quality and craftsmanship, no." YouTube 30:58.
- A Rare Look Inside Charvet in Paris, Where the World's Elite Get Their Shirts Made - "The oldest shirtmaker in the world has produced garments for everyone from King Edward VII to Tom Wolfe."
- A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF A CHARVET DEVOTEE - "The Rake’s Founder & Editor-in-Chief tells the story of French shirtmaker par excellence, Charvet, as well as his own personal journey of sartorial discovery; working with this legendary Parisian institution to ..."
- Bernard-Henri LÉvy wearing a white Charvet shirt - "I have worn the same white shirts, the same person has made my jackets, for 30 years."
- CHARVET BESPOKE SHIRT: REVIEW - Permanent Style.
- Charvet: The Vatican of the Shirt - Newsweek.
- GETTING SHIRTY: TURNBULL & ASSER BESPOKE - "The mystical art of bespoke shirtmaking is much maligned and wrongly is often considered the poorer relation of bespoke tailoring. Fortunately, thanks to British sartorial institution Turnbull & Asser."
- HUNTSMAN DESIGN MEETS TURNBULL & ASSER SHIRT-MAKING EXCELLENCE - "This spring sees the launch of the new Huntsman shirt, as elegant and balanced as our signature one-button jacket cut. From collar and cuffs to buttons and fabric, consideration has been given to every detail. The result is a garment that is both a pleasure to wear, and to behold."
- SHOULD I CHANGE FROM TURNBULL & ASSER TO KITON? - Permanent Style.
- Turnbull & Asser Interview - "What you learn when you make bespoke shirts for one of the world's most prestigious brands." Esquire.
- UNDERSTANDING OUR SHIRTS - "Each of our signature shirts is devotedly handmade in our factory just outside of Gloucester, England. Shirtmakers of over 135 years, our talented team of pattern cutters and machinists, with skills passed down through generations, each contribute their honed skills to craft the perfect shirt. Constructed using the finest materials and with our trademark features, a Turnbull shirt is second to no other." Turnbull & Asser.
- Why the super-rich love understated dressing - "Quiet 'stealth-luxe' fashion is dominating runways and TV screens - but why now? Clare Thorp explores the low-key, under-the-radar world of stealth wealth."
Top 50 Best Bespoke / Made-To-Measure Shirtmakers
- ALAN FLUSSER BESPOKE - since 1979. "Permanent Style." New York City.
- ALEXANDER AMOSU - "King of Bling Bling". Bespoke Shirts.
- ALEXANDER KABBAZ - designer of Gordon Gekko's (Michael Douglas') shirts.
- Antonio Valente - "High quality custom and bespoke shirts." Proudly designed and manufactured in Canada.
- Apposta - since 2011. "The Italian shirt made for you." Our shirts are crafted in Italy by fourth-generation experts using some of the world's finest and highest quality fabrics. Every shirt can be made to your measurements, guaranteed to perfectly fit any body shape. Express your personal style. Select from 3000 fabrics and choose your preferred features, cuts and collars.
- ASCOT CHANG - since 1953. "Our bespoke shirts are made up of at least 25 different components and we provide a multitude of distinct choices and options for each one. With over 5,000 fabrics, 20 collar and cuff styles, 10 collar lining options, 24 monogram styles, and 30 monogram thread colors, style combinations are limited only by your imagination." Head office: Kowloon, Hong Kong. United States office: 110 Central Park South, New York City, NY 10019.
- BARRINGTON AYRE - since 2007. "Luxury Made in England." Bespoke & tailored shirts.
- Blackpier - since 2012. "Bespoke Suits and Shirts Online for Men." Design your garment, customize it and measure yourself in 10 minutes. Within 15 working days you will receive your order at home.
- Bowring Arundel - since 1865. "One of the longest established and most respected English bespoke shirtmakers Bowring Arundel was added to New & Lingwood, 53 Jermyn Street, London, U.K."
- BRIONI Bespoke - since 1945. "Brioni Bespoke, the personalised service dedicated to satisfying the unique sartorial needs of the worlds most influential gentlemen. As an homage to the Brioni man, the bespoke service offers exclusivity and discretion, delivering artisanal excellence, tailored to your exact requirements. The Bespoke service is a flawless expression of our heritage of fine Italian tailoring. Each unique commission is hand-crafted in Italy, ensuring an impeccable silhouette with superior attention to detail; elegant, refined and incredibly comfortable."
- Bruli - Swiss Made - since 1961. "Handcrafted with pride in Switzerland." We offer tailor made shirts to our most demanding customers. Unlike other companies, our philosophy is to provide truly custom service. Each individual part of the shirt can be changed and customised. The customer not only has a piece of clothing made according to his perfect size (taken from measurements) but it will also be made according to his choices of buttonholes, buttons, stitching, collar size, etc.
- BYRNE & BURGE - founded in 2007 with a mission to revive Savile Row tailoring. Bespoke tailoring house located in London's Mayfair neighborhood. Made to order shirts. 11 St. George Street, London, U.K.
- CAD & THE DANDY - founded in 2008. "Bespoke Shirts for Business & Leisure." For many, the bespoke shirt is a perfect introduction to the luxury world of fine tailoring. At Cad & The Dandy we only use premium quality cotton shirtings to produce the finest bespoke shirts. With hundreds of cloth designs, colours and weights to choose from, our dedicated team of tailors will guide you through every step of the bespoke shirt making process. Whether a smart shirt for work, a relaxed polo shirt for weekend wear or a traditional dress shirt for those special events, we have it covered. 12 Savile Row, London, U.K.
- CamiserÍa Burgos - founded in 1912. Cedaceros 2, 28014 Madrid, Spain. "Shirts tailored for demanding people who want style and the highest craftsman in its clothing." Choose from scores of shirting materials, poplins, voiles, linens, and sea island cottons to name but a few. We take 10 measures and perform a single patron. We cut and sew the shirt with traditional methods. You select the type of collar, cuffs and the buttons, with or without pockets ... and so on. We have no design limitation you can define the style you want.
- CHARVET - founded 1838. French high-end shirt maker and tailor located at 28 place Vendôme in Paris, France.
- List of Charvet customers - its list of customers is notable for its time span, Charvet existing since 1838 and having been the first shirt store ever, and as a paradigm of an international "aristo-dandy crossover community". In the 19th century, the shirtmaker both specialized in "royal haberdashery" and attracted the patronage of artists. In the 20th century, with the development of fashion design, designers and fashion journalists became a significant customer group. Some other customers' interest in the brand has become a notable aspect of their personality.
- COMELIE - "The Comelie bespoke shirt is as synonymous for impeccable quality & refined craftsmanship, as are our bespoke suits & overcoats." The initial consultation is with the cutter, whom also wears the hat of being your style consultant. At this initial juncture, a personal understanding is developed between cutter and client. Advising upon which particular shirting among the 3,000 fabrics to choose from, is most suitable according to weight, design and purpose of wear. 9/10 Savile Row, Mayfair, London, U.K.
- D’AVINO SHIRTS - "The Zenith of Visiting Italians." Neapolitan outfit run by cutter Fiorenzo Auricchio who visits London regularly.
- DEGE & SKINNER - established 1865. "Savile Row bespoke shirt making." Dege & Skinner was the first bespoke tailor on London's historic Savile Row to have its own shirt-cutting service. This is where all our bespoke shirts are cut by Head Cutter Tom Bradbury, before being made-up in our own on-site workshop. The almost limitless choice of fabrics for shirts can be bewildering so our Head Bespoke Shirt-Cutter Tom Bradbury will advise and guide your selection, showing you the very best of the wonderful cloths produced by the finest mills for bespoke shirt-making. 10 Savile Row, Mayfair, London W1S 3PF, U.K.
- DENMAN & GODDARD - estabished 1797. "One of Savile Row’s foremost Bespoke Tailors." Bespoke and ready made cotton shirts.
- EMMETT LONDON - since 1992. Emmett is at the forefront of Made to Measure shirts with over 1000 fabrics and 60 collar/cuffs combinations to choose from. Our made to order service allows us to tailor to your needs where you are able to turn a shirt into something that is truly personal to you from fit to fabric. 112 Jermyn Street, London, U.K.
- Ettemadis - Bespoke Shirtmakers and Tailors since 1952. "Our bespoke shirts have been the cornerstone for Ettemadis and are the backdrop to our suits. Carrying the best cloth and offering limitless choice in collars and cuffs for all of the different faces and contexts." The Hague, The Netherlands.
- GARY ANDERSON - As one of the first of the new generation of tailors on Savile Row, Gary Anderson opened in 1998, having been established in 1958. "Handcrafted by Italian artisans using top-quality cottons and silks, our bespoke shirts are tailored to your exact specifications."
- GILIBERTO DESIGNS - since 1979. "Custom made shirts NYC." Nothing looks or feels better than a shirt made just for you. With over 300 fabrics to choose from, we guarantee that we'll make you a shirt that feels like no other you have ever worn. We can make shirts for any occasion.
- GIORGIO ARMANI - since 1975. "Tradition and innovation are fused to complete your personalized creation, uniquely tailored to you, and exemplified through timeless design and fine craftsmanship."
- Giovanni Rosmini - Italian shirts since 1972. Customize your shirt.
- GITMAN BROS. - since 1978. "Gitman Customized Shirts are designed by you and custom made in the U.S.A." The Gitman custom program allows you to choose from dozens of beautiful fabrics from the world’s finest mills and create a product that is uniquely your own. Simply select the options you want and we’ll take care of the rest.
- HARVIE & HUDSON - "Harvie & Hudson the London based luxury shirt & tailoring retailer since 1949." Bespoke and Made to Measure Shirts. We are proud to be the sole remaining retailer to still respect the traditions of Jermyn St London. Every bespoke shirt is hand cut by our master shirtcutters at our Jermyn St store, using the finest cloths from across the globe. 96-97, Jermyn St, St. James's, London SW1Y 6JE, U.K.
- HENRY HERBERT - established 2008. "Savile Row by Scooter." Every shirt made by Henry Herbert is individually crafted to an impeccable and perfectly-tailored finish. We take a number of measurements, including your sleeve length, collar, chest size and waist size. We have a selection of over a thousand fabrics, and a choice of collar and cuff styles to match your preferences. With our dedication to traditional, tailor-made fashion, we believe these are the best bespoke shirts London has to offer. We also offer monogramming services, for the ultimate personal touch. We know it is not always easy to make appointments in a busy work week and so, if you are looking for the finest bespoke suits and bespoke shirts, try our Savile Row by Scooter visiting tailor service. 5th Floor, 9-10 Savile Row, London, U.K.
- Hilditch & Key - "Providing luxury menswear since 1899." With over 1,150 fabrics to choose from, we start the Bespoke service by asking our clients what their requirements are. 'The last thing I would give away, would be a Hilditch & Key shirt. If you’re accustomed to a handmade shirt by Hilditch, a ready-bought shirt is like wearing some torture stuff.' - Karl Lagerfeld. 73 Jermyn Street, St. James's, London SW1Y 6NP, United Kingdom.
- Hockerty - since 2008. "Choose a custom dress shirt designed by you. Make a statement with a made to measure dress shirt perfect for any occasions, whether it's business or casual we will tailor the perfect men's dress shirt for you." A Custom Dress Shirt should be in every Men's wardrobe! It can be for an important business meeting or just for a casual evening with friends. We provide you our online designer where you can design your own customized shirt and we will handmade it to your measurements. Create your own Dress Shirt and feeling comfortable when you wear it. As all Hockerty dress shirts are made to measure, we always have all sizes available. Custom dress shirts from US$59.
- HUNTSMAN - established 1849. "You trust your cutters at the best bespoke house for your suits, why not do the same for your shirts? Our expert cutters know your body like no one else. Adding a handful of measures to what they already take for your coats, assisted by expert shirt cutters they’ll create shirts that fit perfectly. No compromise whatsoever and you will gain your precious time by saving visits and fittings. Bespoke shirting has played an essential part of our sartorial repertoire and now Huntsman is pleased to announce the relaunch of this esteemed service to our clients by appointment." 11 Savile Row, Mayfair, London W1S 3PS, U.K.
- IKE BEHAR - since 1957. "Shop Customizable Dress Shirt (Made to Order) from Ike Behar at Neiman Marcus, where you'll find free shipping on the latest in fashion from top designers."
- ITAILOR - since 1971. "Create your own Custom Shirts for US$29.95. Unlimited selections. Over a million designs and styles!"
- Lanieri - since 2012. "Italians Do Fit Better." Men's Made To Measure Dress Shirts. What is a must-have in every man’s wardrobe? A tailor-made shirt! Elegant for special occasions, casual for everyday wear: a perfectly fitting dress shirt adds style to all looks. Entirely made in Italy with premium Italian fabrics, all of our Lanieri bespoke shirts are manufactured as per the finest sartorial traditions, with the help of the most sophisticated technologies. The removable collar stays, French seams and butterfly gussets are some of the details that make our men’s shirts truly unique.
- Larusmiani Milano - "Handmade in Italy since 1922." The Larusmiani shirt is handmade by expert tailors in a series of 17 steps. The collar, cuffs and buttons are attached by hand, and the armholes, inside sleeve seam, sides, hem, gussets and fly are all felled by hand. Buttonholes are also painstakingly cut out and embroidered by hand, and together with the real mother of pearl buttons, contribute to the authenticity of the product. Hand-stitched seams, with looser stitches than machine ones, give the garment a natural stretchiness that ensures greater comfort for the wearer.
- Le Noeud Papillon - since 2007. "Bespoke & Made To Measure Shirts Using Fine Cotton." From standard plain and twill weaves right through to Sea Island fine cotton shirting, we have all fabrics available to us from the best mills in England, Italy and Switzerland.
- LISTE ROUGE - "Since 1938, the company Liste Rouge has continued the tradition of 'the shirt made in France' from their workshop based in Normandy." Made-to-measure shirts.
- Mason & sons - founded in the 1950s. "Dedicated to British design." The business is founded on the knowledge and experience accumulated during David Mason’s long career in Savile Row bespoke tailoring and shirtmaking, and his understanding of the needs and desires of the luxury consumer. It is driven by a passion for great British design, and the deepest respect for the history and heritage of the brands that he works with and the artisans who craft the products. All to your specifications, our made to order products can be ready within 4-6 weeks.
- NEW & LINGWOOD - since 1865. "Experience the luxury and pleasure of the perfect fitting shirt." Bespoke tailoring is the apogee of gentlemen’s attire. Clothes that are cut to your preferences of fit and style ensure a unique and elegant piece that will make you look and feel your best. At New & Lingwood we have experience in such tailoring, dating back to our foundation in 1865 and our in-house advisors continue this tradition with a wealth of experience, ready to guide you through the process of any of our bespoke services. 53 Jermyn Street, London, U.K.
- NORTON & SONS - since 1821. "To complement our bespoke tailoring we offer made to measure and bespoke shirt-making services. Our shirt-maker has over 30 years experience and our shirts are cut from a hand drafted individual pattern. We are on hand to advice on colours and patterns as part of our shirt-making service. We make a full range of informal, casual and formal shirts carrying over 2000 shirt cloths including poplins, twills, oxfords, and royal oxfords from two fold 100s to two fold 300's." 6 Savile Row, London W1S 3PL, U.K.
- OwnOnly - since 2013. "Design Your New Favorite Shirts." Custom Men's Tailoring for your online shopping shipped direct to our customers.
- Piacemolto Milano - since 2013. "Create your own shirt." Design your own Piacemolto shirt in just 5 simple steps. We offer a vast selection of the finest and most exclusive fabrics. Representing exceptional value, our price is 79.90 inclusive of stitched initials.
- PRO INDUSTRIAL CO. - "Our custom mode shirts are made with 100% cotton of the highest thread quality fabric used. We are able to do any kind of color, cuff, front pocket, back pocket and bottom styles possible."
- Salvatore Piccolo Napoli - since 2007. "From New York to Tokyo his shirts are distributed in the most prestigious retailers in the world." The “made to measure” is the essence of elegance. From the fabrics selection to the attention for the most exclusive details. The bespoke service of Salvatore Piccolo follows the tailor tradition of Naples to create clothing “made to measure” on your wishes.
- Signature Bespoke - since 2014. "Luxury Bespoke Clothing." With branches in Liverpool and Savile Row, we offer made to measure, luxury, bespoke clothing for men, including suits, shirts and shoes.
- SOUSTER & HICKS - "Bespoke Tailoring Since 1966." Our bespoke shirts are a perfect companion to a fitted suit, or casual jacket, a wide variety of different styles, materials and designs are available. These are ideal for weddings and formal events, but can be designed in a way that you’ll also be able to wear for more casual occasions. You can choose from a collection of luxury fabrics, and customise the trims, buttons and colour threads, and even your initials hand sewn on the cuff, to create a truly unique shirt. We’ve worked closely with the best fabric suppliers from all over the world, including high-quality manufacturers in Italy & Switzerland.
- STENSTRÖMS - founded in 1899. Made to Measure. "Design your own Stenströms shirt." At Stenströms we never compromise on quality when it comes to fabrics, cutting and sewing. Quite simply, we want to give you the best. With our Made To Measure concept we give you the opportunity to create your own Stenströms shirt according to your personal measurements and preferences. Visit one of our retailers and choose from a huge selection of fabrics, colours, collars and cuffs. If you wish, the sales staff will save your measurements for future reference, so that you can easily order a new Made To Measure Stenströms shirt at your convenience.
- The Custom Shop Clothiers - since 1937. "Custom Shirts - Build Your Own." The Custom Shop has had the pleasure of servicing many top professionals, distinguished political figures, T.V. personalities and many more well know men across the country and the world.
- THOMAS PINK - since 1984. Owner: LVMH. "Experience the Art of the Shirt." Thomas Pink invites you to discover a Shirt as Distinctive as the Gentleman who Wears it. Attention to detail and appreciation for the finest materials are part and parcel of our Personally Pink service. Personally Pink now offers a choice of more than 200 fabrics from the best mills
in the world and our made in UK service delivers an immaculate shirt in three weeks. 85 Jermyn Street, London SW1Y 6JD, U.K.
- TURNBULL & ASSER - established 1885. "There are few experiences more satisfying than pulling on a crisply laundered shirt that has been made for you, and you alone. Thanks to our precise measurements and exclusive fabrics, each bespoke design is a one-of-a-kind treasure that will last a lifetime. With a selection of 1,000+ fabrics, 25 collar and cuff options, 20 monogram styles and various collar linings, all you need is a little imagination to build your bespoke shirt. Whether you prefer versatile classics or statement show-pieces, no design request is too large or small; we want to ensure the end result is catered to your precise needs." 71-72 Jermyn St, London SW1Y 6PF, U.K.
- UDESHI London - since 1999. "Our shirts are cut by hand in our small workshop from paper patterns drafted by Oscar Udeshi who has been designing and making shirts for close to two decades. The choice of fabric, fit, collar shape, collar stiffness, cuff shape, cuff stiffness, details like pockets and their contents, size of watch and many other factors such as physique of the wearer, where the shirt will be worn and laundered are all taken in to account when creating a Udeshi shirt."
- Universal Tailors - since 1985. "Leading custom and bespoke tailor in Thailand." There is nothing quite like the luxury of a custom made dress shirt. Each of our shirts is expertly sewn by a single tailor to your exact measurements, ensuring an exceptional fit and comfort. Hand made from finest cotton shirtings, every one of our bespoke shirts is the ultimate in premium quality.
- VAN LAACK - since 1881. "Perfect Look." Made to measure. Experience the first van Laack shirt that prevents wrinkles. The refined Swiss-made two-ply yarns smoothen themselves consistently while being worn defying the hectic pace of the day. The most beautiful side-effect is the time saved through the minimal and easy care it needs.
- W.H. TAYLOR SHIRTMAKERS - since 2006. "The Home of individually handmade quality bespoke shirts." All our shirts in this collection are either 'made to order' or bespoke from our standard fabric range. Either choose to input your own sizes or simply use one of our stock cutting patterns for that perfect luxury shirt.