Asia's Top High-End Luxury Hotels, Resorts and Spas
"The great advantage of a hotel is that it's a great refuge from home life" - George Bernard Shaw.
A BOUTIQUE HOTEL is a small hotel which typically has between 10 and 100 rooms in unique settings with upscale accommodations.
A GRAND HOTEL is a large and luxurious hotel, especially one built in a traditional architectural style.
A HOTEL is an establishment that provides paid lodging on a short-term basis. The provision of basic accommodation, in times past, consisting only of a room with a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with modern facilities, including en-suite bathrooms and air conditioning or climate control. Additional common features found in hotel rooms are a telephone, an alarm clock, a television, a safe, a mini-bar with snack foods and drinks, and facilities for making tea and coffee. Luxury features include bathrobes and slippers, a pillow menu, twin-sink vanities, and jacuzzi bathtubs. Larger hotels may provide additional guest facilities such as a restaurant, swimming pool, fitness center, business center, childcare, conference facilities and social function services.
Hotel operations vary in size, function, and cost. Most hotels and major hospitality companies that operate hotels have set widely accepted industry standards to classify hotel types. General categories include the following:
THE HOTEL STAR CLASSIFICATION & RATING SYSTEM EXPLAINED:
******* Seven Star (Burj Al Arab, Dubai. The world's most luxurious and only 7-star hotel).
***** Five Star - (Deluxe)
These are hotels that offer only the highest level of accommodations and services. The properties offer a high degree of personal service. Although most five star hotels are large properties, sometimes the small independent (non-chain) property offers an elegant intimacy that can not be achieved in the larger setting. The hotel locations can vary from the very exclusive locations of a suburban area, to the heart of downtown. The hotel lobbies are sumptuous, the rooms complete with stylish furnishing and quality linens. The amenities often include: VCR's, CD stereos, garden tubs or Jacuzzis, in-room video library, heated pools and more. The hotels feature up to three restaurants all with exquisite menus. Room service is usually available 24 hours a day. Fitness Centers and valet and/or garage parking are typically available. A concierge is also available to assist you.
**** Four Star - (Superior)
Mostly large, formal hotels with smart reception areas, front desk service and bellhop service. The hotels are most often located near other hotels of the same caliber and are usually found near shopping, dining and other major attractions. The level of service is well above average and the rooms are well lit and well furnished. Restaurant dining is usually available and may include more than one choice. Some properties will offer continental breakfast and/or happy hour delicacies. Room service is usually available during most hours. Valet parking and/or garage service is also usually available. Concierge services, fitness centers and one or more pools are often provided.
*** Three Star - (First Class)
Typically these hotels offer more spacious accommodations that include well appointed rooms and decorated lobbies. Bellhop service is usually not available. They are often located near major expressways or business areas, convenient to shopping and moderate to high priced attractions. The hotels usually feature medium-sized restaurants that typically offer service breakfast through dinner. Room service availability may vary. Valet parking, fitness centers and pools are often provided.
** Two Star - (Moderate)
Typically smaller hotels managed by the proprietor. The hotel is often 2 - 4 stories high and usually has a more personal atmosphere. It's usually located near affordable attractions, major intersections and convenient to public transportation. Furnishings and facilities are clean but basic. Most will not have a restaurant on site but are usually within walking distance to some good low-priced dining. Public access, past certain hours, may be restricted.
* One Star - (Moderate)
Usually denotes independent and name brand hotel chains with a reputation for offering consistent quality amenities. The hotel is usually small to medium-sized and conveniently located to moderately priced attractions. The facilities typically include telephones and TV's in the bedroom. Some hotels offer limited restaurant service; however, room service and bellhop service is usually not provided.
Hotels included on Condé Nast Traveller's Gold List of the world's best hotels have been marked with CNT. It spans six continents and 49 countries.
5-star International Star Diamond Award Recipients selected by The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences have been marked with SDA.
Established in France in 1954, Relais & Châteaux's mission is "to spread its unique art de vivre across the globe by selecting outstanding properties with a truly unique character." Prospective and current members are evaluated by the group's traditional "five C" motto: Character, Courtesy, Calm, Charm and Cuisine. The members of Relais & Châteaux exclusive collection of 580 of the finest hotels and gourmet restaurants in 60 countries on 5 continents have been marked with R&C.
The members the Small Luxury Hotels of the World organization (a collection of over 500 luxury boutique hotels and resorts in more than 80 countries) have been marked with SLH.
Comprised of more than 400 hotels in over 80 countries, The Leading Hotels of the World is one of the largest luxury hotel collections in the world. The members have been indicated with LHW.
Palace Distinction – since 2009. One step higher than five stars - by the French Agency for Tourism Development. Marked with P.
What hotel star ratings actually mean today - "There isn't a single answer to the question of what star ratings actually mean, since there are so many systems shaped by so many factors. Some tourism marketers now even give exceptional luxury properties an unofficial six-star designation. (Think stunning over-water villas in the Maldives with private butlers). And bear in mind not all of a brand's properties are created equal when making assumptions about a chain's star category - newer hotels are usually more modern and deserving of a higher rating."
HOTELS, RESORTS & SPAS BY REGION:
Hong Kong (SAR, China)
- HONG KONG
- The Upper House - Pacific Place, 88, Queensway. "The hotel’s 117 studios and suites are surprisingly spacious, featuring natural materials and gorgeous bathrooms. Enjoy thrilling views from Level 49 at Café Gray Deluxe."
Central Hong Kong
- FOUR SEASONS
- Island Shangri-La CNT
- LANSON PLACE HOTEL SLH
- MANDARIN ORIENTAL - five-star hotel, located on Connaught Road in Central, Hong Kong, owned and managed by Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group. The hotel opened its doors in 1963 as "The Mandarin", and quickly drew recognition for its service and elegance. In 1967, after four years of operation, The Mandarin was listed by Fortune magazine alongside the Ritz in Paris, the Grand in Rome, and the Connaught in London as one of the eleven great hotels in the world.
- THE EXCELSIOR
- THE LANDMARK MANDARIN ORIENTAL CNT
Tsim Sha Tsui
- The Mira - luxury 5-star hotel stay in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui.
Luang-Prabang (Province de Luang Prabang)
- Rosewood Luang Prabang - Nauea Village, Laos. "Asia's hottest new resort." Luang Prabang's newest luxury resort is a design fan's dream stay. Connect with nature. New amongst Laos resorts, Rosewood Luang Prabang is an exotic luxury encampment nestled in the verdant jungles of Southeast Asia.
- SATRI HOUSE R&C
- HOTEL YAK & YETI
- Shanker Hotel - "Old World Elegance."
- Soaltee Crowne Plaza - since 1969. 12-acre five-star deluxe hotel with 282 luxurious rooms. A landmark in the city of Kathmandu with a rich heritage, the hotel is the proud recipient of several prestigious awards and accolades over the years. Soaltee Hotel Limited is renowned for its rich history as a pioneer in Nepal’s tourism industry with its contribution of luxurious properties and legendary hospitality across the region.
Sagamatha National Park
- HOTEL EVEREST VIEW - the highest placed hotel in the world at 3964 metres.
- CAPELLA LHW "Set on a magnificent tropical oasis of 30 rolling acres, Capella Singapore presents a most pleasant paradox - an intimate 112 luxurious guest rooms, suites and garden villas, yet the most spacious hotel setting in Singapore."
- MARINA BAY SANDS - integrated resort fronting Marina Bay in Singapore. Developed by Las Vegas Sands, it is billed as the world's most expensive standalone casino property at S$8 billion.
- THE SENTOSA RESORT & SPA SLH
- FAIRMONT SINGAPORE
- MARINA MANDARIN
- NAUMI SLH
- RAFFLES HOTEL - colonial-style hotel opened in 1899, and one of the world's most famous hotels.
- St. Regis - "For travellers looking for a true 5 star experience, St. Regis Singapore offers the epitome of luxury hotels in Singapore. Situated at the heart of the city’s premier shopping district and just minutes from the city centre, the world-class shopping of Orchard Road and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Singapore Botanic Gardens are at your doorstep."
- SWISSÔTEL THE STAMFORD CNT
- THE FULLERTON HOTEL - five-star luxury hotel opened in 2001 located near the mouth of the Singapore River, in the Downtown Core of Central Area.
- THE REGENT SINGAPORE
- The Westin Singapore - Asia Square Tower 2.
- SRI LANKA
- Taprobane Island - "Sri Lanka’s only privately owned island. The No.1 address in the Indian Ocean." Taprobane Island was originally built in the 1920's by the romantically-named but self-styled Count de Mauny-Talvande. The island, with its neo palladian mansion, has played host to kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers, aristocracy, writers and eccentrics, giving it a very colorful history, which guests can now share. The Island comprises two and a half acres of sheer tropical fantasy with nothing between it and the South Pole. Accommodation includes five en-suite bedrooms, with spacious living areas, balconies, verandahs, tropical gardens and a stunning infinity pool.