World's Top 50 Best High-End Prestigious Yacht Clubs
A YACHT CLUB is a sports club specifically related to yachting. Yacht Clubs are mostly located by the sea, although there are some that have been established at a lake or riverside locations. Yacht or sailing clubs have either a marina or a delimited section of the beach or shoreline with buoys marking the areas off-limits for swimmers as well as safe offshore anchorages. On shore they also include a perimeter reserved for the exclusive use of the members of the club as well as a clubhouse with attached bar, café or restaurant where members socialize in a pleasant and informal setting.
Although the terms Yacht Club and Sailing Club tend to be synonymous, some general differences regarding the recreational use of boats can be broadly outlined. Historically a Yacht Club tended to focus on a membership composed of yacht owners, including motorboats. This type of club often was extremely exclusive, attracting the aristocracy or the high class and leaving small boat owners out of the circle. On the other hand, a Sailing Club tended to focus on a membership composed exlusively of owners of sailboats, including smaller boats such as dinghies. These became very popular towards the end of the 19th century when small boats began to be produced on an industrial scale.
Yacht clubs are often known by their initials (e.g. New York Yacht Club abbreviated as NYYC and Kamini Yacht Club abbreviated as KYC). Many well known yacht clubs, including the Yacht Club de France and the Royal Yacht Squadron, have been established under royal patronage or have been granted the title at some point in their history.
Organized and run by the membership, Yacht Clubs became a place to promote the sport of sailboat racing and cruising, as well as provide a meeting place for the particular social community. The membership is a mixture of people with specific recreational affinities. Generally, the members include those who sail as crew for cruising or racing, as well as boat owners. Also it is up to the members decide on the objectives of the club to satisfy the membership and to attract other like-minded individuals. For example, some clubs include owners of powerboats, while others specifically exclude them. In order to overcome difficulties concerning the affinities of their members one particular club may have two sections, a sailing section and a powerboat section.
Members Clubs often have paid staff for catering, bar duty, boat yard duty, accounts, office etc. Control and organization of the club is done for the membership via members elected by the membership into roles such as Sailing Secretary, Commodore, Cruising Captain, Racing Captain etc. Smaller clubs typically have a condition of membership which requires active participation of the membership in activities such as maintenance of club facilities and equipment.
Yacht Club News, Reviews & Resources
- AMERICA'S CUP YACHT CLUBS - Wikipedia.
- Burgee - distinguishing flag, regardless of its shape, of a recreational boating organization. In most cases, they have the shape of a pennant.
- Grand opening of new building for the Yacht Club of Monaco - Foster + Partners.
- International Council of Yacht Clubs - "The ICOYC website provides a window into the world of the leading yacht clubs, with their long histories and fine traditions. You will find information, news and views about the ICOYC, details of the member clubs, plans for events, and comments on yachting-related developments."
- Jeddah Yacht Club & Marina Hosted Over 40 Superyachts During Saudi Arabia F1 Grand Prix Weekend - "The new Jeddah Yacht Club & Marina hosted over 40 superyachts and smaller vessels during the inaugural Saudi Arabian F1 Grand Prix this weekend. Guests aboard mega yachts including the Golden Yachts 95m O’Pari, the 85m Oceanco Sunrays and the 82m Abeking & Rasmussen RoMEA, revealed in an adrenalin-fueled and action-packed F1 weekend, a first for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia."
- Jeddah Yacht Club & Marina opens ahead of first Saudi F1 - "The Jeddah Yacht Club and Marina, the first along the Red Sea Coast that can accommodate over 100 yachts and superyachts up to 120 metres, has opened. As an entry point to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the yacht club and marina is located in a key and strategic location of customs and immigration services for all vessels entering the region."
- Kaiserlicher Yacht Club - was one of the forerunners of the Kiel Yacht Club. Known also as "Küz" from its acronym KYC, it was a prestigious yacht club located in the harbor city of Kiel, Germany. German Emperor Wilhelm II, his younger brother Prince Heinrich of Prussia and Alfred Krupp were among its members.
- LIST OF YACHT CLUBS - Wikipedia.
- Monaco Yacht Club celebrates 2022, looks forward to 2023 - Monaco Daily News.
- Prince’s call for change at Yacht Club’s annual cocktail - "'The world of yachting must change to meet the challenges of a warming planet,' Prince Albert said during the annual cocktail of the members of the Yacht Club of Monaco. The Sovereign Prince is also president of the Yacht Club."
- Top 50 Most Exclusive Yacht Clubs In The World Honored With Platinum Status - "The rich and famous are not merely looking for the best place to anchor their yachts; they are also seeking out exclusive memberships in stunning destinations, all offering luxury amenities and, of course, bragging rights. These exclusive yachting clubs with often outrageous initiation fees, provide luxurious clubhouses, and provide accommodations for yachties who want to get their land legs. Most of them provide high-end concierge service to its members as well as Michelin-star quality restaurants and more."
- WORLD'S OLDEST YACHT CLUBS - "This is a chronological list of Yacht Clubs appearing in maritime literature."
- YACHT CLUB - Wikipedia.
- YACHT CLUB DE MONACO (YCM) has event-packed year ahead - Monaco Daily News.
- YACHT CLUBS IN THE UNITED STATES - Wikipedia.
Top 50 High-End Prestigious Yacht Clubs
- Abu Dhabi Sailing & Yacht Club - founded in 2011. "The Abu Dhabi Sailing & Yacht Club aims to be the new home to all modern and traditional sailing sports in Abu Dhabi."
- American Yacht Club - founded in 1883. Located in 499 Stuyvesant Avenue, Rye, New York 10580. It was created to be more exclusive than the New York Yacht Club.
- Atlantic Yacht Club - founded in 1866 by members of the Brooklyn Yacht Club committed to promoting yachting in New York Harbor.
- BARBADOS YACHT CLUB - founded in 1924. Bay Street, St. Michael, Carlisle Bay. The Barbados Yacht Club offers a range of sailing, recreation and dining facilities.
- BITTER END YACHT CLUB - founded in 1975. Located on the island of Island Gorda, British Virgin Islands.
- Cairo Yacht Club | CYC - 120 El Nil St, Giza, Egypt.
- CALIFORNIA YACHT CLUB - founded in 1922. CYC ranks as one of the world's premier yacht clubs. 4469 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA, U.S.A.
- Club NÀutic Porto Cristo, Mallorca - "Founded in 1969 by Mr. Joan Servera Amer, Club Nautico Porto Cristo has 222 moorings in the floating jetties and Jetty. Two docks are reserved for ships in transit. Offers owners of vessels take of electricity and water. He has bathrooms, showers, laundry, restaurant, weather information and a platform for repairs or maintenance of medium-sized vessels."
- Coral Reef Yacht Club - founded in 1955. Miami, Florida, U.S.A.
- Cruising Yacht Club of Australia - founded in 1951. Rushcutters Bay, Sydney Harbour, Australia.
- DUBAI MARINA YACHT CLUB (DMYC) - "Set in the heart of ‘new Dubai’, Dubai Marina Yacht Club (DMYC) has rapidly gained a reputation as one of the renowned private yacht clubs of the region, with a purpose built clubhouse forming the centre-piece of four distinctive marinas. Arrayed along the length of a remarkable 3.5km canal, the marinas provide sheltered berthing for over five hundred yachts, in a setting that is simply unrivalled."
- EPPING FOREST YACHT CLUB - founded in 1984. Jacksonville, FL, U.S.A.
- FLORIDA YACHT CLUB - founded in 1877. Private country and yacht club in Jacksonville, Florida, U.S. It is the oldest social club in Jacksonville, and is the fourth oldest surviving yacht club in the U.S.
- Grand Bahama Yacht Club & Marina - Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas.
- GROSSE POINTE YACHT CLUB - founded in 1914. Grosse Pointe Shores, MI, U.S.A.
- Jeddah Yacht Club - founded in 2021. "Breathing by the Red Sea." Embark on a luxurious voyage in the heart of Jeddah’s most scenic views. Anchored in the most favorable waterfront, Jeddah Yacht Club and Marina offers you the calmness of the Red Sea with the thrill of a life-changing adventure.
- Kieler Yacht-Club - founded in 1887. "With 1,400 members, the Kieler Yacht-Club is one of the largest and established in 1887 also one of the most historic sailing clubs in Germany."
- Larchmont Yacht Club - founded in 1880. 1 Woodbine Ave, Larchmont, New York 10538, U.S.A. Private, members only yacht club.
- MANHATTAN SAILING CLUB - founded in 1987. New York City, New York, U.S.A.
- Neva Yacht Club - founded by tsar Peter the Great on April 12, 1718. Saint Petersburg, Russia. It claims to be the first and oldest yacht club in Russia and even in the world, though this is challenged by the Royal Cork Yacht Club in Ireland.
- New York Yacht Club - founded in 1844. Private social club and yacht club based in 44th Street, New York City & Harbour Court, 5 Halidon Avenue, Newport.
- Newport Beach Yacht Club - 1099 Bayside Drive, Newport Beach, California, U.S.A.
- NEWPORT HARBOR YACHT CLUB - founded in 1916. 720 West Bay Avenue, Balboa Peninsula, Newport Beach, California, U.S.A.
- Palm Beach YACHT CLUB - founded in 1890. 800 North Flagler Drive, West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
- ROYAL BARCELONA YACHT CLUB - founded in 1876.
- ROYAL BERMUDA YACHT CLUB - founded in 1844.
- ROYAL CANADIAN YACHT CLUB - founded in 1852. "The RCYC is more than world class sailing and sports. A breadth of social activities are also available to our Members."
- Royal Channel Islands Yacht Club - founded in 1862. Le Mont Du Boulevard, St. Brelade, Jersey, Channel Islands.
- Royal Cork Yacht Club - since 1720. Cork, Ireland. "The world's oldest yacht club founded in 1720" - although this record is contested by the Neva Yacht Club.
- ROYAL DANISH YACHT CLUB - founded in 1866. It is the oldest yacht club in Denmark, and has been under royal patronage since Christian IX's approval in 1891. It has about 2,200 members (2014). The club house has been situated in Tuborg Havn since 2007. Tuborg Havnepark 15, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark.
- Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club - since 1890. Kellett Island, Causeway Bay, Hongkong.
- Royal Langkawi Yacht Club - since 1996. Kuah, Malaysia.
- ROYAL NORWEGIAN YACHT CLUB - founded in 1860.
- ROYAL PERTH YACHT CLUB - founded in 1841.
- ROYAL SWEDISH YACHT CLUB - founded in 1832.
- Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron - founded in 1862.
- Royal Thames Yacht Club (RTYC) - founded in 1775. The oldest continuously operating yacht club in the United Kingdom. Its headquarters are located at 60 Knightsbridge, London, England, overlooking Hyde Park. The club has a clear purpose: "To provide the members with outstanding yacht cruising, racing and social opportunities in the UK and internationally, building on the Club's unique heritage, central London facilities and close reciprocal relationships with other leading yacht clubs around the world."
- Royal Yacht Squadron (RYS) - founded in 1815. British yacht club. Its clubhouse is Cowes Castle on the Isle of Wight in the United Kingdom. Member yachts are given the Suffix RYS to their names, and permitted to wear the White Ensign of the Royal Navy rather than the merchant Red Ensign worn by the majority of other UK registered vessels. The club's patron is Queen Elizabeth II.
- RYBOVICH YACHT CLUB - founded in 1919. "Rybovich is a full service superyacht marina and service facility in West Palm Beach, Florida with direct and unobstructed access from the Atlantic Ocean. The marina offers first class yacht facilities and unrivaled shore amenities." West Palm Beach, FL, U.S.A.
- SAN DIEGO YACHT CLUB - founded in 1886. San Diego, CA, U.S.A.
- SAN FRANCISCO YACHT CLUB - founded in 1869. Belvedere, CA, U.S.A.
- SAN SEBASTIÁN ROYAL NAUTICAL CLUB - founded in 1896. Donostia / San Sebastián, Spain.
- Shanghai Yacht Club & Resort - founded in 2004.
- St. Francis Yacht Club - founded in 1927. San Francisco, CA, U.S.A.
- Yacht Club Adriaco - founded in 1903. Molo Sartorio 1, 34123 Trieste (IT), Italy.
- YACHT CLUB Argentino - since 1883. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Yacht Club at Isle de Sol - founded in 2005. St. Maarten’s top megayacht club.
- YACHT CLUB Capri (YCC) - "The Yacht Club Capri was established in 1999 with the intent of promoting and furthering nautical and sailing sporting activities on the wonderful island where we are based. One of our primary objectives is to draw the local population closer to sailing." Isle of Capri, Italy.
- YACHT CLUB COSTA SMERALDA - established by the Aga Khan in 1967. Porto Cervo in Costa Smeralda, northern Sardinia, Italy.
- YACHT CLUB DE FRANCE - founded in 1867. 41 avenue Foch, 75116 Paris, France.
- YACHT CLUB DE MONACO (YCM) - "Founded in 1953 by Prince Rainier and presided over by HSH Prince Sovereign Albert II since 1984, the Yacht Club de Monaco brings together more than 2.500 members from 80 nationalities. Many of the world’s most prestigious private yachts fly the Yacht Club de Monaco’s burgee, testimony to its unique position on the international yachting scene." Quai Louis II, La Condamine, 98000 Monaco.
- Yacht Club de Saint-Tropez (YCST) - since 1866. "The Yacht Club de Saint-Tropez is open year round to receive its members. It offers many activities, practiced on recent and efficient equipment in a family and friendly spirit. Members of the Saint-Tropez Yacht Club can benefit from the restaurant." 35, chemin de l’Estagnet - 83990 Saint-Tropez.
- Yacht Club Porto Rotondo - since 1985. Olbia, Sardinia, Italy.
- Yacht Club Sanremo - founded in 1956. Corso Nazario Sauro 32, San Remo, Italy.