South America's Best and Finest Gourmet Restaurants
Michelin Guide starred restaurants have been marked with *** ** * RS Bib according to their rating.
Mapped: Every Michelin-starred restaurant on Earth - The Telegraph.
THE MICHELIN GUIDE STAR & RATING SYSTEM - three stars (***) mean: "Exceptional cuisine and worth the journey"; two stars (**): "Excellent cooking and worth a detour"; one star (*): "A very good restaurant in its category"; the Bib label: "A Bib Gourmand rating means the restaurant is an inspector's favorite for good value. For $40 or less, you can enjoy two courses and a glass of wine or dessert (not including tax and gratuity)." The New SUSTAINABILITY EMBLEM (*): "Those at the forefront with their sustainable gastronomy practices are highlighted by a new symbol, with the restaurantís vision also outlined via a quote from the chef. For other restaurants taking smaller steps to work in a greener way, there are short descriptions on their initiatives." Restaurants awarded the Rising Star (RS) means that they may be in line for a MICHELIN star, or an upgrade from one to two, or from two to three stars.
The World's 50 Best Restaurants is a list produced by UK media company William Reed Business Media, which originally appeared in the British magazine Restaurant, based on a poll of international chefs, restaurateurs, gourmands and restaurant critics. In addition to the main ranking, the organisation awards a series of special prizes for individuals and restaurants, including the One To Watch award, the Lifetime Achievement Award and the Chefs' Choice Award, the latter based on votes from the fifty head chefs from the restaurants on the previous year's list. Often working as a barometer of global gastronomic trends, the list showcases a variety of cuisines from all over the world. Restaurants voted 1-50 are marked with SP; the restaurants marked with sp have been voted as the world's 51-100 best restaurants based on the votes of the 837 "chefs, restaurateurs, critics and fun-loving gourmands" selected by Restaurant magazine.
The restaurants marked with NW have been chosen by 53 top chefs for Newsweek magazine's August 13, 2012 issue 101 Best Places to Eat in the World.
Wine Spectator's Restaurant Awards recognize restaurants whose wine lists offer interesting selections, are appropriate to their cuisine and appeal to a wide range of wine lovers and have been been marked WS.
5-star International Star Diamond Award Recipients selected by The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences have been marked with SDA.
The members of Les Grandes Tables du Monde association's 188 members in 25 countries on 5 continents representing the last word in gastronomy worldwide have been marked with GTM.
Established in France in 1954, Relais & Châteaux's mission is "to spread its unique art de vivre across the globe by selecting outstanding properties with a truly unique character." Prospective and current members are evaluated by the group's traditional "five C" motto: Character, Courtesy, Calm, Charm and Cuisine. The members of Relais & Châteaux exclusive collection of 580 of the finest hotels and gourmet restaurants in 60 countries on 5 continents have been marked with R&C.
Latin Americas's 50 Best Restaurants - The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2013.
GOURMET RESTAURANTS BY REGION (105 countries):
Buenos Aires (Río de La Plata)
- Aramburu SP (Chef: Gonzalo Aramburu). Cuisine: modern Argentine.
- Casa Cruz
- Casa Umare SP (Chef: Darío Gualtieri). Cuisine: market cuisine.
- Chila SP (Chef: Soledad Nardelli). Cuisine: Argentinian with Mediterranean accents.
- Demuru (Chef: Juan Pedro Demuru)
- Don Julio - Guatemala 4699. Classically traditional parrilla, brimming with character.
- El Baqueano SP (Chef: Fernando Rivarola). Cuisine: alternative indigenous meats.
- Elena SP (Chef: Juan Gaffuri). Cuisine: Argentine meets Europe.
- HernÁn Gipponi SP (Chef: Hernán Gipponi). Cuisine: modern Argentinian.
- La Bourgogne R&C (Chef: Jean Paul Bondoux). Cuisine: French. At Alvear Palace Hotel.
- La Brasserie - at Marriott Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires
- La Cabrera SP (Chef: Gastón Riveira). Cuisine: traditional Argentine.
- L'ORANGERIE - at Alvear Palace Hotel.
- Oviedo SP (Chef: Martin Rebaudino). Cuisine: classic Spanish-led seafood.
- Paraje ArÉvalo SP (Chefs: Estefanía Di Benedetto & Matías Kyriazis). Cuisine: international.
- Plaza Grill - at Marriott Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires
- Pura Tierra SP (Chef: Martín Molteni). Cuisine: authentic market-based Argentinian.
- Sucre SP (Chef: Fernando Trocca). Cuisine: market cuisine with influences from Italy, Spain, Japan and Peru.
- TEGUI SP (Chef: Germán Martitegui). Cuisine: eclectic international.
- The New Brighton - Sarmiento 645.
- Tomo 1 SP (Chef: Federico Fialayre). Cuisine: traditional Argentine.
- Unik SP (Chef: Fernando Hara). Cuisine: contemporary international with a natural bent.
El Calafate (Patagonia)
- EOLO R&C
Godoy Cruz (Mendoza)
- Francis Mallmann 1884 SP (Chef de Cuisine: Orlando Díaz Masa). Cuisine: gutsy meat-led cooking.
- Gusto Restaurant - "The surprise restaurant venture by Noma's Claus Meyer, co-founder of one of the world's best restaurants." - The Guardian.
- Remanso do Bosque SP (Chefs: Thiago & Felipe Castanho). Cuisine: modern Brazilian.
- Attimo SP (Chef: Jefferson Rueda). Cuisine: Brazilian Italian fusion.
- CAFÉ DE LA MUSIQUE
- DALVA E DITO - cuisine: traditional Brazilian.
- D.O.M. * SP NW (Chefs: Alex Atala & head chef Geovane Carneiro). Cuisine: contemporary Amazonian Brazilian. Specialty: filhote with tucupi sauce.
- EMILIANO RESTAURANT
- Epice SP (Chef: Alberto Landgraf). Cuisine: modern Brazilian.
- ESPLANADA GRILL
- Fasano SP (Chef: Luca Gozzani). Cuisine: Italian.
- Figueira Rubaiyat
- MANI SP NW (Chefs: Helena Rizzo & Daniel Redondo). Cuisine: Brazilian-European fusion. Specialty: root vegetable medley.
- MOCOTÓ SP NW (Head chef: Rodrigo Oliveira). Cuisine: north-east Brazilian. Specialty: carne de sol.
- TerraÇo ItÁlia - located at the 44th floor of Edifício Itália the 2nd tallest building in São Paulo after Mirante do Vale.
Vale Florido (Petrópolis)
- LOCANDA GTM (Chef: Danio Braga).
Imbabura (Highlands of the Andes)
- La Mirage R&C
- Astrid & GastÓn SP (Chef: Gastón Acurio). Cuisine: Peruvian meets haute cuisine.
- Central SP (Chefs: Virgilio Martinez & Pía León). Cuisine: Peruvian/international fusion.
- CHEZ WONG NW (Chef: Javier Wong). Specialty: octopus ceviche.
- FIESTA SP (Chefs: Hector Solis & Wálter Sánchez). Cuisine: northern Peruvian.
- LA MAR SP (Chef: Anthony Vasquez). Cuisine: ceviche.
- Los Cavenecia
- MAIDO SP (Chef: Mitsuharu Tsumura). Cuisine: Japanese with Peruvian elements.
- MALABAR SP (Chefs: Pedro Miguel Schiaffano & José Ragazzi). Cuisine: Amazon fusion.
- Pescados Capitales
- RAFAEL SP (Chef: Rafael Osterling). Cuisine: modern Peruvian.
- Restaurant Huaca Pucllana
- Parador La Huella SP (Chef: Alejandro Morales). Cuisine: simple seafood and asador cooking.
Punta Del Este
- LA BOURGOGNE R&C SP (Chef: Jean-Paul Bondoux). Cuisine: classical French.
- Alto SP (Chef: Carlos Garcia). Cuisine: traditional Venezuelan.